2024 Anthology Entries Due Tue October 1 ×

Happy Victoria Day!

sandrewn

To all my fellow Canadians here, I hope that you have a...

:music: :D :D :D Happy Victoria Day :D :D :D:music: 

Victoria Day in 2016

In 2016 the Victoria Day holiday is on Monday, May 23.

Victoria Day is a Canadian statutory holiday celebrated on the Monday preceding May 25 in every province and territory. It honours Queen Victoria's birthday. In Quebec this holiday is called "National Patriotes Day" (Journée nationale des patriotes).

Victoria Day is also commonly referred to as the "May two-four weekend" or the "May long weekend" and it marks the unofficial start of the cottage season where cases of beer* are consumed by hard working Canadians. That's what we heard anyway. Or maybe it's called May two-four because May 24, 1819 is Queen Victoria's birthday :-)

FYI: Prince Edward (1767–1820) after whom PEI was named was Queen Victoria's father.

Victoria Day is a non-statutory "general" holiday in the maritime provinces of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI and Newfoundland. In Quebec the National Patriots' Day is commemorted on this day.

Call it what you will,

its party time (as I twist off the cap of a cold one).

CHEERS!!!

Sandrewn

B.T.W. - Everyone else, you are invited to join in, the more the merrier!!!

Edited by sandrewn
  • Like 5

Sounds like a fun time for the Canadians.  

For over a century, Queen Victoria was the longest reigning monarch in Great Britain, at the height of the British Empire.  Since the honor of the longest reign has now passed to Queen Elizabeth II, I wonder if there will eventually be a holiday in her honor. 

Party Hearty, our neighbors to the north.  Happy Victoria Day!

• Like 2