Pandora: Eden and Hell

The discussion of World Building brought back to me the wonder I had when I watched Avatar for the first time.

Oddly, this movie generates a lot of angst among people for people who love it and those that hate it. For me, it represents one of the most honest depictions of possible alien life on another planet ever put to film. The nature of beauty and horror, of wonder and terror that Pandora evokes in the film feels so 'natural' as you are watching it.

Does anyone else like or dislike the world of Avatar? Let me know. I'd love to discuss it.

latest?cb=20130915141442

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I love the movie Avatar for what it was, and not what the SJWs were trying to make it out politically. I'm looking forward to the sequel, as soon as it gets made, lol.

The lore behind the world, plus the level of tech that was involved was awesome. A planet trying to kill you is fantastic.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

I love the movie Avatar for what it was, and not what the SJWs were trying to make it out politically. I'm looking forward to the sequel, as soon as it gets made, lol.

The lore behind the world, plus the level of tech that was involved was awesome. A planet trying to kill you is fantastic.

From what I can remember, Cameron was trying to show a version of prehistoric earth. Theories abound, but one interesting one states that it is possible that the Earth's gravity was less before 65 Million years ago. That would mean that the earth's gravity would have been less thus allowing for larger creatures and plants to exist. It makes you wonder, what crashed into the earth 65 million years ago that could have increased the mass of the earth sufficiently to miniturize all life?

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...
  • Site Administrator

You know, I thought I had replied to this...

I really do like Avatar.  I think James Cameron is a brilliant director and writer (and has the box office chops to back it up).  Avatar, Titanic, The Abyss, Aliens, Terminator 2 among others.

My problem with him his SJW bullshit.  He hasn't yet exceeded my threshold due solely to his talent and hypocrisy.  (He hates guns, but shoves them all over in his movies...  and as the writer/director of the two highest selling movies of all time... he's an awfully big capitalist.)   He has a bit of a magician's thing going on.... throws red meat to the bubbas and says the words of the SJWs to keep his ass covered. 

As for the world he created with Avatar, it is a plausible world leaving aside the absurdity of "unobtainium".  There are a lot of arguments to be made that humans are an invasive species.  Or that we are some alien/hominid hybrid suitable for mining gold.  He did amazing work with the visuals and world creation.  I do plan on watching the sequels.  Well, 2 at least.  not sure on 3, 4 and 5 yet.  We'll see how 2 does.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Myr said:

You know, I thought I had replied to this...

I really do like Avatar.  I think James Cameron is a brilliant director and writer (and has the box office chops to back it up).  Avatar, Titanic, The Abyss, Aliens, Terminator 2 among others.

My problem with him his SJW bullshit.  He hasn't yet exceeded my threshold due solely to his talent and hypocrisy.  (He hates guns, but shoves them all over in his movies...  and as the writer/director of the two highest selling movies of all time... he's an awfully big capitalist.)   He has a bit of a magician's thing going on.... throws red meat to the bubbas and says the words of the SJWs to keep his ass covered. 

As for the world he created with Avatar, it is a plausible world leaving aside the absurdity of "unobtainium".  There are a lot of arguments to be made that humans are an invasive species.  Or that we are some alien/hominid hybrid suitable for mining gold.  He did amazing work with the visuals and world creation.  I do plan on watching the sequels.  Well, 2 at least.  not sure on 3, 4 and 5 yet.  We'll see how 2 does.

Yeah, I covered the SJW crap with the thought that perhaps Cameron was doing Aliens from the xenomorphs perspective. LOL

• Haha 2
  • Site Administrator
8 hours ago, MrM said:

Cameron was doing Aliens from the xenomorphs perspective. LOL

LOL!  He probably was!

• Like 2