Imagine Magazine Question For 9/1

Sbnb3Gz.jpg?1

It's a question that you may not want to answer too quickly. It's a sign that you may be answering more on blind faith than actual self reflection. Really think about this.

Have you ever wondered who you would be...if all of life's consequences were removed? No punishment, no jail time, no revenge, no fear of judgement or some sort of hell bound sentence for your soul when it's all said and done? What if you could do whatever you wanted, whenever you wanted...and never once had to pay for your actions?

What would your sense of morality be like? What would your relationship to the rest of society be like? How would you determine right from wrong? I mean...we see it all the time, don't we? The rich, the celebrities, the athletes, the politicians...they get away with stuff that NONE of us could ever hope to get away with. The drugs, the cheating, the mistresses, the sexual assault, the thievery. The Bill Cosbys, the Donald Trumps, the R Kellys, the Harvey Weinsteins, the Brian Singers...what if you could go years and years without ever having to think twice about being caught? They've got an army of lawyers and fixers that guarantee that they'd stay swimming in champagne and lobsters for as long as they're willing to pay for their services. They're too 'big' to go to jail.

But...what about YOU? Are these 'other' people all crazy and deranged? Or is it the complete freedom from consequence that causes them to tap into the darkest parts of themselves? And if the latter is true...what darkness would YOU tap into...if given the opportunity?

Can morality, discipline, guilt, and shame...exist in a vacuum free from punishment?

An Imagine question for our Halloween issue of Imagine Magazine! Feel free to answer in the replies down below. As always, anonymous replies are welcome. I'll be adding my own answer some time this week. I always give you guys a chance to answer first.

Also, I'm looking for a few short ghost stories for our October issue! So if any of you are interested, let me know! And I'll save you a spot! Cool?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I can tell you of my Dark Passengers through a story I’m getting set to write for Halloween this year.

You might call them ....

Legion!

PGzEJmN.jpg

This time Death wears many faces

Edited by MrM
  • Love 1

I often wonder about this sort of thing...

Because I really DO think of myself as a good and moral person, and that's not really based on anything other than the fact that I haven't done anything that has gone beyond my conscience or my sense of humanity. I won't lie, I am an empath of the highest degree! I HURT for other people, because I know what it's like to be hurt. Or lonely. Or struggling to find yourself when the whole world seems to be working against you. I FEEL that! And it's in my nature to want to help wherever and whenever I can. Even when people are obviously trying to take advantage of me...I only see that as a deeper problem and a louder cry for help. You know?

But...where does that craving come from? I think that's the big question for me. I govern myself and my actions by thinking about the positive or negative impact that my actions may have on other people. What happens if I just stopped caring about those consequences? If they didn't exist? What if I could get rich by taking advantage of other people and I never had to feel any guilt about it? What if I could see a 14 year old boy that was gorgeous and sweet and funny and I could date him without worrying about going to jail? What if I could eat whatever I wanted, drink alcohol, or do drugs, and not have to worry about dying of a heart attack before the age of 50? I mean...would I do it?

Sometimes, in all honesty...I think I would. I think my curiosity alone would cause me to bang up against every boundary that was set for me, and I'd be tempted to see just how far I could take things until actual consequences became a reality for me. And that would be a BAD thing!

I have values, and morals, and line that I don't think I would ever cross (murder, rape, etc)...but I've always based those ideas on the concept of future consequences and punishments to come. If they were to 'vanish' tomorrow...then I'd still be the same moral person that I am today. But...if I had grown up without any accountability for my actions at all? I think I'd be a completely different individual for who I am right now. And not in a good way.

Thank God for a balanced perspective in these matters. Right?

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..