Antebellum ( I hope this goes here)

I'm NOT trying to offend or upset anyone... 

What does antebellum have to do with slavery....I always thought it refered to a style of house NOT slavery.

Can someone explain this to me ?? In simple terms please. Thank you

• Like 1

Antebellum architecture has to do with houses.  

Antebellum, as a time period, refers to "occurring or existing before a particular war, especially the American Civil War".  Antebellum architecture is referring to the style of house in that period, after the Revolutionary but before the Civil War, mostly found in the South.   Those are mostly plantation style, I think.  Slavery did exist during the period, especially in the South again.  

(This was a 5 minute Google search cobbled together with memories of high school several decades ago, so take it with a grain of salt).  :P    

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

Yup, what CassieQ said. We use it today to specifically talk about the period of history between Revolutionary War and Civil War. It’s therefore pretty much impossible to separate it from slavery, as that was the reason for most of the South’s economy. 

If you’re specifically looking at Antebellum architecture, remember who built those houses, and why the owners had the money to do so in the first place. 

• Like 1