Military BRATs (Born, Raised and Transferred) and The Oppertunity for Drama

MBrats.jpg

Although I haven't read much about them, Military BRATs offer a writer great dramatic opportunities. Their lives and mobility at an early age offers all sorts of hooks for writers.

The military life is one where an officer might move every six months. If their family is posted with them, that means the kids have to move into a whole new circle of friends every six months to a year.

I was so young when I was a Brat, I don't really remember much about it. I've been looking for stories about this life, but I haven't found many.

I encourage other writers to think about the potential of MBs as "the new kid". Think about their psychology and how they could be fascinating.

Imagine a new kid who was born on a base in Europe and goes home to the United States, where they've never been before.

MBs went to school on bases where they live with German, Spanish and French speakers and may actually be multi-lingual. They may have accents that would really make them stand out.

Another aspect of base schools is they are excellent. Much better than the average school in the States. A new Middle School student who was average at a base school would probably be a star student in the states.

MBs are like anybody else: they can be good or an asshole.

They can rock as a villain because often that mobile life makes them callous and unwilling to get close to others because they know they'll lose them.

They can rock as a hero, as they've been places and done things the average kid hasn't.

Just add imagination, stir, cook at 350 and see what happens.

MBrats-1.jpg

• Like 4

@jamessavikI love the concept and stories about Military BRATs :)

Some Romance stories I read about them comes in this flavor:

Standard lonely guy who is trying to find someone to have deep relationship with, but can never bring himself to commit. Not a bad main character, just one that has no way of escaping hellish cycle of friendship, trysts, and endings. Usually, his circumstance is the villain/conflict of the story, not a character. If these characters are forced to stay in a normal setting, it's a fish out of water story. If they continue their journey and meet "the one", it turns into a novel of eulogizing a lover that he could never have.

-------

Would be a fun read if someone can create a decent story with HEA or HFN ending.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...