You Complete Me by Salander.

You can't write a review before a story is completed, so this is not a review, it's an appraisal and incitement to read.

This story is refreshingly young and very well observed. The protagonists are young adults, or late teens, struggling with all the problems of relationships, families, and sex, that hit them. The refreshing part of this story is that it is set today and written by an author who writes about his time, now.

There are lots of good authors, but not too many who write a story they are intimate with and which is set now. Older authors have text messages and mobile phones, but they don't have TicTok and Insta and they aren't today's stories. This author writes brilliantly observed characters and their inter-relationships. It is simply a great story set now, by an author who has the experience of today and the ability to write it.

Very real and quite unique!

• Love 4

Thank you so much for this! I put a lot of effort into writing characters that felt real and reacted to things as I would have at that age, and I'm ecstatic that has been noticed and appreciated. 😊 

• Like 3
  • 1 year later...

I also want to chime in about how amazing this story is. @Salander you have beautifully captured the teen voice, which is not an easy thing to do. I read a LOT of YA fiction and you scepter at writing believable teens.

The character development here is so poignant and nuanced and I really feel like I know these characters so well, even the secondary characters. They come to vibrant life on the page. 

The family relationships and friendships are also fantastic and feel very believable. I’m dying for Jake to confide in Luke his growing feelings for Nic, as I can see Luke being a person who could try to bring them together even more. 

Jake also seems like he’d be just the person who can help Nic through some of his traumatic past. 

And, of course, the sexual chemistry between Nic and Jake is so deliciously steamy and never feels overwritten.  

I can’t wait for those oatmeal raisin cookies to be ready for Nic! ☺️

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • 5 months later...