Imagine Magazine Question For 10/7

help-me-hide-title

Despite the bravery of a growing number of people in this day and age, I can remember the very idea of coming out of the closet being one of the biggest threats EVER in terms of me living a normal life from that point forward. It just wasn't a 'thing' during that time. Being gay (Or, in my case, bisexual) was not only a shameful secret...but it was potentially dangerous for me to be outed before I was ready.

But...life moves forward...and people eventually start 'expecting' you to date members of the opposite sex at some point. Right? You're young, hormones are raging...and all of society is basically pushing the point with school dances and partnerships and guiding you down the path towards eventually dating, getting married, and having kids, etc.

For this question...I'm wondering if any of you guys have ever tried falling for or maybe even using a member of the opposite sex as a 'disguise' to be seen as normal? Did you ever do it? How did you feel about it? There are many gay guys who date girls to hide the fact that they're gay. And vice versa. Is it even ok to do that? And if you let the other person know about the nature of the relationship...does that make it ok? I mean, they're in on the secret right? But...is it beneficial for you both, or are you just prolonging the journey to the inevitable outcome further down the road?

Whatever your thoughts are on this...let us know! Anonymous comments are welcome, as always. Using a 'normal', more socially acceptable, relationship as a mask....yes? No? Sometimes? Never? Give us your thoughts!

I've never used a girl to hide a relationship with a boy. I didn't have romantic relationships with boys until middle school, and then I thought, "I'm my own person. I don't have to hide who I am." With the exception of a few people in my family (grandparents and such), my dates were an open book to most of the people that knew me, including friends and classmates. I just don't believe in hiding myself, you know?

• Love 1

You know...I can't say that I've really tried to hide my sexuality by dating women, but I can't say that I've never thought about it. Or at least back when that seemed to be the biggest issue for people to know about me.

I am bisexual, and I've dated girls that I really liked, sure. But it wasn't to hide, I just liked them a lot. I also had friends who weren't so damn girl crazy all the time, so I didn't have to feel pressured by it or listen to endless comments about it. But would I do it if things had been different?

I, honestly, don't know. I think if it was a mutual agreement for whatever reason, and she knew what was going on...maybe. Friends with benefits? Possibly. But I find it hard to really date anyone or even pretend to unless I felt some kind of connection to them. It wouldn't be any fun for either one of us, and we'd both be so unsatisfied when it was over. Basically, it would be a waste of time, you know?

So I never have, and I doubt I ever will...but I wish I could say that I knew that one hundred percent for certain.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..