need some one who understands poetry

Guest KyleWayne

Guest KyleWayne

Do you think poetry is always saying some thing by the writer or is some times poems just like fiction stories?

When poem talks about writer I mean. Like first person kind. Friend wrote sad poem and I think maybe he is really sadder then he acts.

Should I tell him I saw his poem and talk to him?

Edited by KyleWayne

Guest KyleWayne

no

i will pm if some body replies and wants to help

Edited by KyleWayne

Do you think poetry is always saying some thing by the writer or is some times poems just like fiction stories?

When poem talks about writer I mean. Like first person kind. Friend wrote sad poem and I think maybe he is really sadder then he acts.

Hi Kyle,

I think that's two seperate questions.

When poem talks about writer I mean. Like first person kind.

I think poems and stories always say something about their authors. I don't think it's necessarily the obvious interpretation though. Just because someone writes a poem or story filled with pain and anguish doesn't mean they're unhappy, it means that they can fathom being unhappy and describe it realistically. How? Maybe they've been that unhappy before and remember it; maybe they've been somewhat unhappy before and can amplify it; maybe they're empathetic and have simply witnessed unhappiness. OR maybe they are miserable right now.

I'm currently working on a story with some very dark themes. Some of my characters do things and experience things which, happily, have never happened to me. I can just imagine them. The story does say something about me though...what I'm not sure.

Friend wrote sad poem and I think maybe he is really sadder then he acts.

Yes, I think you should talk to him. You obviously care about him and you're obviously worried. It's my experience that people who are fine don't mind hearing that someone cares about them and thinks about their well-being. People who aren't fine are (and this is just 100% my opinion/experiences and I could be completely off-base) more likely to become upset or defensive; however, these are the people that need to know the most and often even these people will respond positively, or at least neutrally, to genuine, heartfelt expressions of concern.

So obviously I can't say for sure whether or not he is upset (personally I'd probably be worried too), but I can say that in my opinion it can't hurt to let him know that you care about him and you're there for him if he needs to talk. I think this is something we should tell our friends anyway, even if we "know" they're happy. :)

Take care and have an awesome day :hug:

Kevin

By the way, Kyle, I think you're super-sweet and awesome for being such a good friend :)

Edited by AFriendlyFace

KyleWayne,

You are asking two different questions.

1. Is a poem true and about the poet? Or is a poem fiction, a story told as poetry?

* A poem can be fiction. The writer can make up a story and tell it in poetic form.

* A poem can be true and about the poet, about how he or she thinks and feels.

* But a poem can also be true and about someone else, or for someone else.

There is always something of the writer's thoughts and feelings in any kind of writing, whether it is a poem or a story, but particularly in poetry. The writer may even write the opposite of what he/she believes, in the way a character behaves.

2. Should you tell your friend you saw his poem and talk to him? His poem was in the first person, and it was very sad.

It is good to talk to your friend about how he feels. But let him tell you how he feels and what is bothering him. That will show you how to talk further with him. If he has a serious problem, then he needs your support, and it will take time. -- Don't assume you know what is going on, or how he feels, or how to "fix" things.

* Some poems are about a certain feeling at one time, and the poet works out what is bothering him by writing it down.

* Some poems are a way of talking to someone else about the other person's feelings.

* Some poems are fiction.

* Some poems are about exactly how the writer feels.

Would it offend your friend if you tell him you saw his poem? -- If he knows you are concerned for him, he will be more likely not to get mad, if the poem was supposed to be private.

-----

My best advice is to be a friend, talk to your friend, and take it from there.

A lot of times people use poetry to convey their inner feelings so its definitely worth it to talk to him, see if he's feeling particularly low lately and be there to listen if he needs someone to talk to about it, or to hold him if he needs that.

Do some people write poetry "in character" so to speak, yes, but its still a good idea to talk to him and see whats going on.