[Vlista] Unbreakable Faith: Chapter 7

Hi Everyone,

The latest chapter is now available for your reading pleasure :)

Vance as usual has done an excellent Job! :2thumbs:

GaryO

Great Chapter!

I think Ian is starting to loosen up slightly, and that part where he gave the minister his honest opinion certainly indicated that.

Wonderful, wonderful chapter.

I just hope that Ian is able to realize that he is not going to get beaten for everything that he does.

Kurt

Excellent chapter Vance :D

Kurt since his abuse been going on for so long it's going to take some time before he realizes that he won't get beaten.

Well now Jeff has been given a glimpse into Ian's abuse. I thought that Ian was going to tell Jeff about being nailed to a cross, when he was relating to him his "bad prayer". Wait until he sees him with his shirt off, I bet Kevin will have something to do with that.

I felt like this chapter was a foundation chapter, establishing the direction Ian's transition will take, no real shocks or surprises.

Ian has now had a few new doors open to him, and he gets to make the choice to walk through or not, that will help with his self confidence. He and Jeff are about to start what appears to be a really good friendship, and if Vance isn't too cruel to us, maybe a loving, Hot, and Sexual relationship.

Jeff has my vote so far, he and Ian share some common ground, and he seems like a gentle, and caring guy, maybe what Ian needs.

The Reverend Delmar has now entered the story, and hopefully can adjust Ian's slightly canted religious beliefs. Hey face it just about everything Ian is a reflection, or interpertation of Ian's religious upbringing.

Good chapter Vance

Ex.

Edited by ex52tech
Ian needs Nathan. He will be the key to help erase Ians horrible past.

My heart is bleeding for Ian :,(

Marco

I agree that he needs Nathan or someone like him. However, that might be exceedingly traumatic. Ian has been conditioned to believe the hysterical "teachings" of his former Pastor (I refuse the use the term "father" or "parent" for that slime) and those include that homosexuality is an abomination. So, how would Ian react to Nathan if he finds out that Nathan is gay (assuming that he is)? Or to any gay person?

I'm sort of wondering about Jeff, as he and Ian seemed to bond.

I wonder if this will turn in to a thing like with Dom's DD. IANITE (Ian and Nathan in the end), or IAJITE (Ian and Jeff in the end). :P I would deffinatly be an IANITE.

IANITE is so cool anyways, just look at it, IANITE. :P

Kurt :D

P.S. Sorry...

Another great chapter Vance :2thumbs:

Hm... Ian and Nathan? Nathan didn't really feature in this chapter, though I think Nathan still has a thing for him.

Jeff and Ian? I guess they are gaining a closer relationship, maybe it could work out.

Or maybe he'll meet someone from the youth group?

I'm glad Ian is slowly making progress. I think the minister will be a good influence on him.

Can't wait for the next chapter..

Juss

I liked the way the story developed in this chapter, but was bothered by a couple of details about the mechanics of the storytelling. The story is told mainly from Ian's point of view, so it was very jarring to see Mr. Harvey refererred to by the narrator as Kyle, and Rev. Delmar as Bob.

It would be one thing for Mr. Harvey to refer to himself as Kyle while on the phone to the church, and to call the mininster Bob, as they are presumably both adults, and neighbors at that. (Though Mr. Harvey has to use a phone book to call his neighboring church? As a professional in charge of a group home, you'd think ministers in town would be on his short resource list.) But Ian as a youngster brought up with politeness beaten into him doesn't call adults by their first names, because they are an older generation as well as being figures in some authority. Calling them by familiar names would be okay only if and after Ian has been specifically invited to do so. (Such as if Rev. Delmar specifically said to Ian, "Call me Reverend Bob.")

The other detail that bothered me a bit was:

Knowing his wife was planning dinner [Rev. Delmar] wrapped things up though he didn’t really want to and already planned on telling his wife to plan Sunday dinners a little later so he’d have more time to talk with the boy each Sunday.

Any minister. priest, or rabbi I know would instead tell his wife to set the table for an extra guest and plan on bringing Ian home for dinner.

--Rigel

I liked the way the story developed in this chapter, but was bothered by a couple of details about the mechanics of the storytelling. The story is told mainly from Ian's point of view, so it was very jarring to see Mr. Harvey refererred to by the narrator as Kyle, and Rev. Delmar as Bob.

It would be one thing for Mr. Harvey to refer to himself as Kyle while on the phone to the church, and to call the mininster Bob, as they are presumably both adults, and neighbors at that. (Though Mr. Harvey has to use a phone book to call his neighboring church? As a professional in charge of a group home, you'd think ministers in town would be on his short resource list.) But Ian as a youngster brought up with politeness beaten into him doesn't call adults by their first names, because they are an older generation as well as being figures in some authority. Calling them by familiar names would be okay only if and after Ian has been specifically invited to do so. (Such as if Rev. Delmar specifically said to Ian, "Call me Reverend Bob.")

Well my take is that that section was a shift in perspective. The story is told from the 3rd person so it isn't unusual for a story like that to ocassionally shift focus from one person to another. I believe Cameron does this too from time to time, and most other 3rd person stories do as well.

The other detail that bothered me a bit was:

Knowing his wife was planning dinner [Rev. Delmar] wrapped things up though he didn

Edited by AFriendlyFace
Any minister. priest, or rabbi I know would instead tell his wife to set the table for an extra guest and plan on bringing Ian home for dinner.

--Rigel

That thought crossed my mind while reading that part too. What better way to gain Ian's trust than to invite him to his home for dinner. Ian said "you can't say no to a minister". Obviously Reverend Bob would call Kyle and get the ok.

I don't think that Ian could call any adult by their first name no matter what he was told.

Ex.

I agree that he needs Nathan or someone like him. However, that might be exceedingly traumatic. Ian has been conditioned to believe the hysterical "teachings" of his former Pastor (I refuse the use the term "father" or "parent" for that slime) and those include that homosexuality is an abomination. So, how would Ian react to Nathan if he finds out that Nathan is gay (assuming that he is)? Or to any gay person?

I don't think that wil be too much of a problem because Ian has pretty much accepted that he is gay(the whole "reason", if you can call it that, for the rape was because his bastard father had found out about him being gay.).

Plus, the whole english paper thing. I don't think he has anything against gay people, and I think he seriously wants the chance to be able to explore his sexuality. Maybe not right away, I mean he did just get out of a pretty traumatizing situation, but give it time and he'll be like any other teen; curious and horny. ^.^

Edited by KaraC