[TheZot] You meet your soulmate in the strangest places

I don't usually go for the incredibly sweet or "fate" stories, but I absolutely loved this one. I saw the announcement and read it, even though I'd never read anything by The Zot before, and it was well worth it. It kept me wondering until the last scene and wrapped it up wonderfully.

There were a few lines I really loved (spoiler alert):

It had been a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day
I toyed with the idea of hiring a private eye to go find him for me, but that seemed way past extreme and into deeply obsessive. I'd hold off on that for at least a week.

Sex could wait. Half an hour, at least. Maybe forty-five minutes.So, flowers, dinner, and a movie. Preferably a short movie.

Thanks for the awesome story The Zot.

Agreed - it was an incredibly sweet, good, and well-written story. This, and TheZot's other short "Ex marks the spot" are two of the best short stories around... HIGHLY recommend... :2thumbs:

<cough - now, um, Carpe Diem - is coming out when?> :P

While I'm very tempted to play Spot The Reference... I can't take credit for the terrible horrible no good very bad day line -- that's an homage to my favorite book of all time, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, by

Judith Viorst and Ray Cruz. It's great, everyone should own a copy. (Even if you live in Australia)

While I'm very tempted to play Spot The Reference... I can't take credit for the terrible horrible no good very bad day line -- that's an homage to my favorite book of all time, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, by

Judith Viorst and Ray Cruz. It's great, everyone should own a copy. (Even if you live in Australia)

I knew where the line came from, that's why it was awesome to me. I loved the book as a kid, and someone from my group of friends gave it to my friend Alex last summer and it brought up a lot of fond memories.

I wouldn't say it's my favorite book of all time, but the line in your story certainly endeared it to me.

• Site Administrator

Now I'm going to have to go see if I can find a copy here....

• Site Administrator
Yes. Yes you are. And if you can't, well... Amazon is your friend! :P

Shipping books from the USA to Australia isn't cheap. I'll see if I can find a local supplier....

I really liked this! It wasn't too 'mushy' I don't think! To me it felt just right! It was just a nice feel good story! It's one of those that I'll probably read twice hoping I missed something that I didn't read the first time! I want more! It was great!

• 1 month later...
Loved it. I was confused while reading it though. I really had no idea what was going on. But loved the ending :lol:

:) Well, it does kind of assume at least a passing knowledge of New York City and its environs, or at the very least the kind of background you get if you've worked in an office in a city for a while. It was... regional, for non-geographic values of regional. I figured that was OK. ;)

-Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I read your short story, You meet your soulmate in stangest places.

It was just...so mesmerizing. After reading it, I was just lost in the world of your characters. They were soo sweet and cute. The frequent meetings, the surprise, the flowers at the school...so romantic and I'm helplessly romantic. :wub:

Thanks for providing us with such a nice story

Ieshwar

:) I'm glad you liked it. I was going for hopelessly romantic without hitting sappy. I managed, I think, and I'm happy with the results. Maybe I ought to do that more often -- people seem to like it, and I do too.
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

All I can say is -- this story was like a Skittle. Short, this side of saccharine, and with a tang. Brilliant. Zot just has the touch for this sort of storytelling. I hope to read more like it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, I need to double-check my board settings -- really sorry I missed your posting, Corvus.

I'm glad you liked the story. Shorts like that are odd to write. They all come out in a rush, but only after sitting around and stewing for ages. Dunno for sure when the next one'll come around, but y'never know...

• 3 months later...

Yes, very romantic story! I'm tempted to go out and find a

fortune teller

of my own! My favorite part was the skittles. I just want to know how he knew what the guy liked? Did Pete whisper it in his ear when he was sleeping or something?

Edited by steph291
Yes, very romantic story! I'm tempted to go out and find a

fortune teller

of my own! My favorite part was the skittles. I just want to know how he knew what the guy liked? Did Pete whisper it in his ear when he was sleeping or something?

The skittles were one of those "I know what he likes but I don't know how" things, like the model railroad shows and the Thai food. Bit 'o modern magic and all that.