Visiting the Grand Canyon

Lugh

Ok so I was thinking about taking DC to visit the Grand Canyon next year at some point....

but I know nothing about that portion of the USA

so.... can someone give me some advice as to when would be a good time to visit... the camping areas are open from mid-march to mid-november... I'd like tent weather but no snow traveling from VA to there by car.

Thanks,

Lugh

The Grand Canyon is located in N.E. Arizona and is a National Park. It is near the point where the three borders of Utah, Arizona and Nevada come together. Most people stay in Flagstaff and make day trips into the park. Grand Canyon

35 miles east of Flagstaff is the best preserved Meteor Crater on earth. Well worth a look.

The desert Southwest is an amazing part of the US and I think that you should take off a year and explore all of it.

I would go toward New Mexico - quite beautiful and home to some really neat stuff:

The National Radio Observatory Very Large Array, is located 50 miles west of Socorro on U.S. Highway 60. From U.S. 60, turn South on NM 52, then West on the VLA access road, which is well marked. Signs will point you to the Visitor Center. It is very cool- neat museum and you'll get to see one of the world's premier radio telescopes in action. VLA

Carlsbad Caverns, on the border of New Mexico and Texas is one of the best caves for people to explore. Carlsbad

Back in the day, I used to travel a lot in the four-corners area and really love to place.

Take a camera and a lot of film or you'll regret it.

PS- go in May or June before it's too hot to enjoy. Nights will be cool but bearable.

I've only ever made day trips to the Grand Canyon, but it's been wonderful every time (even the time I almost fell in the canyon itself...long story short, I found an area without safety bars, sat on rock ledge and took a picture of my snow-covered boots hanging over the edge. When I stood up, I slipped on some ice and nearly fell backwards to enjoy a thousand foot drop. Luckily I was with a friend who pulled me back from the edge).

You need a permit to camp there...and a lot of good information is on the official grand canyon web page... http://www.nps.gov/archive/grca/backcountry/index.htm

Enjoy!

...Take a camera and a lot of film or you'll regret it...

I'd recommend taking a digital camera with a couple of 1GB or 2 GB memory cards. That way you won't waste any film on disappointing shots, it will cost a lot less in the long run not having to buy and develop film, and you can get around 1,000 pix on a 2 GB card with resolution that will support printing 8x10's. You'll want wide angle (based on pix of the Grand Canyon I've seen, I've never been there), 28mm lens (equivalent focal length on a 35mm film camera) at wide angle is about the best you can find on a compact digital camera. A fast lens, f2.8 at wide-angle, is about the best you'll find.

If you want to travel light, a compact digital camera is a good choice. You can find Some have built-in optical image stabilization; Panasonic seems to be the leader in that technology but their image sensors suck at high ISO's. Oh, and make sure the camera has an optical viewfinder. Having to use the LCD display on the back of the camera just doesn't work in bright daylight.

If you're serious about photography, a digital SLR is great, and you can get a huge assortment of lenses and accessories if you go with Canon or Nikon, most compatible with their lines of 35mm SLR film cameras.

Colin :boy:

Much depends on where at the Canyon you want to go to. The main visitor sites are at the North and South rims, about 15 miles apart as the crow flies. However, there is no way to drive directly between them (it's about a 200 mile drive).

To get to the North rim, you have to go through Utah. North Rim is less "touristy" and the weather is cooler (the altitude is about 9000 ft.). Make reservations well in advance, as the lodge is about the only place within a hundred miles to stay (or eat).

South Rim is where most people think of when they say "Grand Canyon". It's easily accessible (only an hour north of Flagstaff and Interstate 40). It's only at about 8000ft, so is slightly warmer. I'd suggest may or june for both north and south rims.

You can hike to the bottom of the canyon from either rim. I've made it to the bottom (Phantom Ranch at the River) and back in one day (it was dark by the time I got back to the rim) but it was one hell of a hike/run. Do not attempt it unless you are in great shape and used to mountain hiking. The climb out is grueling once you are tired.

Do you have a 4x4? If so, there are tons of scenic dirt roads and trails in the area.

Sunset crater, north of Flagstaff, is well worth a visit. It has a volcanic cinder cone and lava flow (from 500 years ago) and also Indian ruins, plus a natural blowhole. (changes in barometric pressure cause strong air inflows or outrushes)

Definitely see Meteor Crater, too. Further east on I40, don't miss the Petrified Forest.

If you can, take a detour to Southern New Mexico to see Carlsbad Caverns. It is one of the most spectacular sights on the planet. The sheer size is incredible. If you go, stay near the park entrance, and go early on a weekday morning, right when they open. You can hike from the surface down to the main chamber. It's an easy hike, just 2 1/2 miles, though much of it steeply downhill. If you can go when there are no people around, the experience of being alone in those chambers is well worth it, and makes the hike an utterly unforgettable experience. Once you reach the bottom, another two-mile hike takes you around the perimeter of the main chambers (yep, it is that big). Once done, you can take the elevator (no kidding!) back to the surface. In fact, you have to, as the trail in is one-way. You can take the elevator both ways, but I recommend the hike. It is incredible.

May I also suggest, while you're in the general vicinity, visiting Bryce Canyon National Park (http://www.nps.gov/brca/) and Zion National Park (http://www.nps.gov/zion/). Each is quite different, both from each other and from the Grand Canyon. Actually, you can't go wrong in that part of the country--almost anywhere you turn will be a place with fascinating scenery, culture and history.

--Rigel

the biggest proble is there is just soooooo much to see. I have to suggest you take more than two weeks. I'm not really into seeing a big ditch, but the cliff dwellings near pheonix seem really interesting to me. If you like those, Mesa verte ws really neat when I went there, but I wasn't much older that DC is now back then. There is also a steam engine tour train that starts out in Durango Co. that has some really nice scenery(the train was really neat too)

PS- go in May or June before it's too hot to enjoy. Nights will be cool but bearable.

May or September. In addition to finding 'tent weather,' you'll be avoiding the throng of tourists. Flagstaff ("Flag") is a terrific Western town and the logical point of departure for the Grand Canyon. Be sure to check out the Museum of Northern Arizona and the marvelous Native American - Hopi and Navajo - art collections. Save a little side-trip time for Sedona.

Jack B)