Wet Linen

AFriendlyFace

Hi all,

Random question: What do you do with wet towels/washcloths before you wash them?

Currently I have this nifty little bar in my shower on which I hang them after I use them. The shower actually has an external (opaque) window in it and the sun shines right in and dries the washcloth and by the time I shower/bathe again it's usually dry enough to dump in the dirty towel hamper (and if it isn't the little bar has been known to hold two!). My new apartment's shower will no longer have a nifty little bar nor will it come equipped with a window (which is in itself a heartache since it means I can no longer line up my numerous shampoos, conditioners, moisturizers, exfoliators and other random bath products on the ledge).

Anyway I've got ALOT of towels and washcloths and I usually only do a load about once a month so if I put them in the hamper wet they'll probably get all icky and mildewed (wouldn't they?).

So how do other people solve the problem of the wet washcloth?

Take care and have a clean day all! :P

Kevin :boy:

Edited by AFriendlyFace

My new apartment's shower will no longer have a nifty little bar nor will it come equipped with a window (which is in itself a heartache since it means I can no longer line up my numerous shampoos, conditioners, moisturizers, exfoliators and other random bath products on the ledge).

(...)

I feel your pain about no longer having a ledge... You crack me up, Kevin. And give me ideas for further adventures... 0:)

I usually put the washcloths with another laundry load, so they might be dry or wet, it doesn't matter. They just don't go through the hamper. I usually put towels in the hamper the day after I used them so they have time to dry. If a towel/ washcloth takes more than 24 hours to dry, your bathroom has a venting problem.

Hi all,

Random question: What do you do with wet towels/washcloths before you wash them?

Currently I have this nifty little bar in my shower on which I hang them after I use them. The shower actually has an external (opaque) window in it and the sun shines right in and dries the washcloth and by the time I shower/bathe again it's usually dry enough to dump in the dirty towel hamper (and if it isn't the little bar has been known to hold two!). My new apartment's shower will no longer have a nifty little bar nor will it come equipped with a window (which is in itself a heartache since it means I can no longer line up my numerous shampoos, conditioners, moisturizers, exfoliators and other random bath products on the ledge).

Anyway I've got ALOT of towels and washcloths and I usually only do a load about once a month so if I put them in the hamper wet they'll probably get all icky and mildewed (wouldn't they?).

Take care and have a clean day all! :P

Kevin :boy:

I bought a self-adhesive hook for the side of the shower to hang a washcloth on, but I just leave it there between uses. I just rinse it out after using it. I generally do my laundry every other week, so I just toss the washcloth in with the dirty clothes on laundry day, wet or not (it's all going right into the washer anyway).

Most apartment bathrooms will have a medicine chest (right behind a side mirror, usually) so there is plenty of storage space for soap and the other odds and ends such as shavers, shaving cream, etc. on the bottom shelf of it (which is usually a little taller). I find that a shampoo bottle is too big for it (I tend to buy the big generic stuff, as it is cheaper), so I just leave that in the shower.

I once lived in an apartment with absolutely no storage space of any kind in the bathroom, and an incredibly tiny shower stall with no room at all for anything, so I had to keep literally everything in a shoebox on top of my toilet tank. those can be covered with wallpaper scraps to look halfway decent if you don't like the look of a shoebox.

I've also seen a little basket that you can hang from the showerhead pipe, which could be handy.

Best wishes for you on your new place!

• Site Moderator
I once lived in an apartment with absolutely no storage space of any kind in the bathroom, and an incredibly tiny shower stall with no room at all for anything, so I had to keep literally everything in a shoebox on top of my toilet tank. those can be covered with wallpaper scraps to look halfway decent if you don't like the look of a shoebox.

Best wishes for you on your new place!

They now have free standing shelving that you can buy and put together that fits over the toilet tank.

I usually hang the used towel over the shower curtain rod to dry. Then it goes into the basket to be washed.

Jan

We went out and purchased a pole-based shelf for our shower. It's got a pole which tensions out to the height you need in the very corner inside your shower, and the pole has three or four little shelves at adjustable heights that don't take up very much space in the corner of the shower. Beneath a couple of shelves are little bars you could hang a washcloth from.

We've also got towel bars in the bathroom outside the shower where we can hang wet stuff.

--Rigel

I don't have this problem. There's five of us in one house. That means five showers a day, at least five towels, at least five washcloths, and I know I use two towels (one for me, which I use and then put on the floor to keep it all nice and dry and not freezing, and then one for my hair). That means one load of towels every day or other day. Three days if we're lazy. Same with clothes, really. We just wash as we go, lol.

• Site Administrator

We have a towel rack that we have placed over the central-heating vent. During summer they dry naturally. During winter, the vent dies them out (and makes them nice and warm when it's time to use them). Because we own the place, we attached the towel rack to the wall, but you can buy free-standing racks if you're not permitted to make alterations to the apartment.

I have nothing to do with it :P but we normally change the towels about once a week.

I don't have this problem. There's five of us in one house. That means five showers a day, at least five towels, at least five washcloths, and I know I use two towels (one for me, which I use and then put on the floor to keep it all nice and dry and not freezing, and then one for my hair). That means one load of towels every day or other day. Three days if we're lazy. Same with clothes, really. We just wash as we go, lol.

Lol.. thank you! I get called so, "wasteful" when I put a towel on the ground then grab another one... lol. It's nice to know that someone else doesn't like to get their floor, the mat in front of the shower wet, or step out on a floor with a wet foot and go sliding and falling... :) It just makes sense to me.

Krista

I feel like a barbarian after reading this post... Wanna know what I do with my towel after using it? It goes STRAIGHT to my bedroom floor :D This happens in my apartment at school and at home. At school, my shampoo and body wash goes in a gym bag that gets tucked into my closet when not needed. My electric shaver stays forever plugged in by the bathroom sink. The shampoo and body wash is all I have (and all one needs) for cleaning myself, so I don't need ledges lol. At home, since I share a bathroom with my sister, we have a shower caddy hanging from the shower head. It holds several bottles of shampoo, body wash, shaving cream (hers, I don't shave often and when I do, no cream is involved, electric shavers FTW!). The towel comes home with me to be washed, which means it gets washed once every one or two weeks.

So repeat with me:

1. Hamper? What's that?

2. Floor.

3. Shampoo and body wash and that's it.

4. Picky cleaner? Get a shower caddy and call it a day.

It's not the sun that dries it. It's the breeze/wind as my grandpa always says.

And he's right. Even if it's 40F out, the clothes can be dried outside quickly with the breeze/wind.

I have a liner in the laundry room in the basement and I always hang them up and open up the very small window in that room to a crack if it's really cold out to wide open if it's summer time. The moving air around the basement will keep the humidity level quiet low and that dries the wet clothes quickly...usually overnight. But I have no patience to wait for some clothes to dry, so I use the dryer. :P

I just pile my dirty clothes on a certain spot of the floor. When I'm running of clothes, that's when I know I have to do the laundry and usually it takes two or three weeks for that to happen. I get everything done almost in one load. So I do two or three loads per month. ;) The towel get washed...eh...I dunno, once per month or so? :blink:

Thanks all for the input!!

LOL and I just can't get over how both RK and Jack kept referring to it as "the towel" :blink: . I can't imagine having only one!! I have, I would estimate, somewhere between 20 and 30 bath towels. LOL, I similarly can't imagine leaving laundry on the floor, and certainly couldn't fathom putting it on the floor and then using it again! :o

I have a very elaborate system of laundry hampers. I have the hamper in my bathroom at the bottom of my bathroom linen closet which holds all the towels and washcloths. In one of my walk-in closets the entire bottom sides are dedicated to laundry hampers (the other side contains all my shoes), I have one hamper for whites, one for bedclothes (sheets, pillowcases, blankets etc.), one for pants, one for fancy clothes, and one for everything else (mostly underwear and shirts)...so 6 hampers all together. I totally freak out if clothes are on the floor, I usually put them directly in the hamper, but may occasionally leave a used towel, or shirt laying on my bed or even *gasp* the floor. When I have one of my epic baths I usually remove a towel or two from the hamper and spread them on the bathroom floor so that I don't have to worry about making a mess with the water, but they all go back in the hamper once they're sufficiently dry again.

So yeah, I'm thinking what I'll do is buy a towel rack dedicated to nothing but wet towels and washcloths, then put them in the hamper.

Take care and have a clean day all! :boy:

Kevin

I took pride in my barbarianism tonight. I don't use napkins, so when I had buffalo sauce on my fingers from eating buffalo chicken tenders I started scraping the sauce off onto the box that was holding the food. Normally I lick my fingers clean, but my mouth was on fire as it was. My roomates girlfriend looked at me and said, "napkins?" I said, "I'm a BARBARIAN DAMNIT!" and kept wiping my fingers on the box.

It should be noted that I have two towels of my own, and normally I use whatever clean and folded towel my mom leaves in the bathroom when I shower at home, so I only reuse towels at school. Also, I know it's laundry time when one of two things happen... first is I run out of clothes (my laundry bag says, "One more day and I'll be naked!" hehe), or I can't see the floor anymore.

I use two, mostly one on the floor, (even though I have a mat) then I hang em up, sometimes I leave them for awhile, I wash mine right before it starts smelling.

Oh Kevin quit acting queenish :P (isn't horrible to leave em on the floor for some hours)

Edited by Drewbie

Jesus, using more than two towels...and then throwing them in the hamper after one use (how matter how many towel you use) is quite wasteful of energy...water...money...put into the laundry...and thus not environmental. C'mon, use them several times...it's not going to kill you, afterall...YOU'RE ALREADY CLEAN...the towels will just take the clean water off you. :s

I'm a bit weird when it comes to towels. I only ever use a towel once, Chris on the other hand will hang it on the towel rack and use it a few times. It freaks me out! He's gone to dry me with his yucky towel before and Ive freaked and ran (In all my naked glory lol) from him. I know its a bit (a lot) stupid when you consider my tongue has been everywhere that towel has :P

I do laundry every second day if I'm being good, or once a week if I'm being lazy. I do use the eco cycle on the washer so I don't feel bad doing it so often :P

As for your products we have one of those shower caddys that hooks over the shower wall

I'm a bit weird when it comes to towels. I only ever use a towel once, Chris on the other hand will hang it on the towel rack and use it a few times. It freaks me out! He's gone to dry me with his yucky towel before and Ive freaked and ran (In all my naked glory lol) from him. I know its a bit (a lot) stupid when you consider my tongue has been everywhere that towel has :P

I do laundry every second day if I'm being good, or once a week if I'm being lazy. I do use the eco cycle on the washer so I don't feel bad doing it so often :P

As for your products we have one of those shower caddys that hooks over the shower wall

How can it be yucky when the towel is not any dirtier than the person, when all clean from the shower. :P

• Site Moderator
It's highly doubtful that a bath towel has reached its maximum absorbancy with wiping down one thin, wet person.

You're right. Cotton can hold 3 times it weight in water. So 1 ounce of cotton, after absorbing all the water it can hold, will weigh 3 ounces.

Jan

NO! Towels do NOT hold all the water you need them to! After you factor in the amount of water your hair holds, the amount of humidity in the bathroom after a hot shower, the fact that you have to use a totally dry one on the mirror or it smudges, and the fact that at a certain point, though the towel can still absorb water, it will not absorb the very small amount of water still on your body which makes you feel wet. Thus, two towels are absolutely necessary to get completely dry! Unless you're just one of those people that doesn't have to feel dry... but I want to feel dry, damn it! :P

Kevvers, you astound me. I have one pair of shoes for working, one for wearing... that's it. :P Oh, and brown and black dress shoes I wear every once in a blue moon. I've gotta get rich and go shopping. ~nods~

And yes, Krista, I empathize. ~huggles you~ We're the normal ones.

That depends on the type of towel that you use. If you continue to use hand towels, like Razor apparently does, then you'll need more than one. However if you use bath towels (regular or hotel size, I love a warm hotel towel every now and then :P ) then you can indeed use it several times before moving to another one. Never once has one towel not been sufficient in drying my body, and I'm 6'4" tall, with a 35" waist, and my hair is now beginning to get into my eyes. If you're towels are seriously that inadequite, then do two things: Get a new towel, yours is broken. Second, shake yourself off while still standing in the shower (like a dog), it gets the excess water that is still running down your body off of you and down the drain, putting less of a strain on your broken towel. I think maybe Razor's towel needs an oil change and new belts...

I will however agree with Razor on his assessment of Kevin. Kevin is astounding. I have one pair of sneakers that I wear every day, one pair of sandals that I bought for showering in the dorms and so they no longer see use (in an apartment now), another pair of dirty sneakers for yard work (no yard work at the apartment so they do nothing nowadays), and a pair of "dress" shoes that I bought for work. I wear sneakers to work now because customers ain't gonna be lunging over the counters to make sure I'm dressed properly :P

I will however agree with Razor on his assessment of Kevin. Kevin is astounding. I have one pair of sneakers that I wear every day, one pair of sandals that I bought for showering in the dorms and so they no longer see use (in an apartment now), another pair of dirty sneakers for yard work (no yard work at the apartment so they do nothing nowadays), and a pair of "dress" shoes that I bought for work. I wear sneakers to work now because customers ain't gonna be lunging over the counters to make sure I'm dressed properly :P

LOL since there's been so much interest in my footwear, I have 24 various pairs which include sneakers, sandels, slippers/indoor shoes, dress shoes, "work" dress shoes, and - what I wear and own the most of - shoes that aren't really sneakers OR dress shoes, but just sort of "fashion" shoes.

I think maybe Razor's towel needs an oil change and new belts...

LOL, well while we're on the subject of belts, I have 15. :boy:

I don't think my shoes and belts are THAT disproportionate to my wardrobe in general. I mean it would be weird to have the same amount of clothing and only 3 or 4 belts and pairs of shoes. I suppose that may indeed seem excessive, but you must remember that changing my look and style is one of my main "hobbies". I spend virtually no time or money on electronics or automotives and own only the "bare essentials" (far less and simpler stuff than the average American). LOL, I'm sure Robbie's spent as much time and money on his car and electronic hobby as I have on my wardrobe. :P I similarly don't "collect" anything.

I do agree that using more than one towel per shower/bath does seems like a lot! On some days I've been known to take more than one shower/bath in which case I might use multiple towels, but I've rarely used more than one for the same "body cleansing" experience. I do use a new washcloth every time and on some occasions two, but I have so many more washcloths than bathtowels that it's never an issue.

I use what's known as a bath sheet, or an extra large towel. It is necessary when you have hair that goes halfway down your back, And a hairy body that holds water like a sponge. Sometimes if for some reason l'm away from my big towel, I have been know to use 2 or 3 towels to get dry, If they are small ones.

And it gets washed once a week, Anything more is a joke. If you took your shower to get clean, And then feel that the towel you used to dry yourself 15 seconds after your cleansing process was complete, I would question if you did you job in the shower, And seriously look at the procedure in place, As it may need some adjusting. Generally as a good rule of thumb, You should feel clean for at least an hour after a shower unless you are doing some grueling activities, Such as running from bounty hunters, Or just simply living in Florida or another always humid place.

That is all.