Jump to content

Headstall

Signature Author
  • Posts

    52,296
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Headstall

  1. @Albert1434 always finds magic in my writing, and it makes me happy.
  2. "Each new time is the best time." I absolutely love how you turned that around on me. Clever girl (my favorite line from Jurassic Park). I named this chapter "Caught" for many reasons and you got them all. I actually never saw the connection between Vincent's life and Will Senior's. You 'caught' me by surprise with that, but it is so true. I mean, we don't know whether Will loved a man, nor if he ever gave someone up to live the life he did, but the similarities are there. In my mind, Will would be the type to care deeply, so.... Yes, Billy and Reid tamed each other, and I believe all Billy had to do was be a constant in Reid's life until he figured it out. We man can be so dense sometimes... which is great fodder for Storytellers. I felt bad for that wilding stallion, but if I'm going to write an authentic story, I have to have these moments. He has a legacy in that big pen, with a lot more to come. If he died defending the herd, he died doing what he was born for, brutal as that is. The line you turned on me (thank you) is what shows the passion Jubal and Lucas have found. I have a feeling their honeymoon period will last decades. Yes, I am a horseman through and through, and to be honest, I've been looking at ads for horses for sale, which surprises me. I have no intention of getting one, but it doesn't mean I can't fantasize about bringing a yearling along, or maybe rescuing an old one. I digress. As a writer, I hold onto gems, hiding them from readers until we are ready for their shine. Ke was one of those gems... and that scene where Lucas tells Jubal that Bean is in foal still gives me goosebumps... and then when the new colt is born... it makes me sigh that I could give Jubal such a gift... or rather, that Kema could. Again, thank you for your kind praise, and thank you for your lovely Story Review. You're the best, dear friend. Monday will be sad for us... but there are many more Mondays in our futures... God willing.
  3. Why thank you, sweet lady. Wait! Only a week? Lol... not sure I can meet your hopes, my friend. I'm worn right out to be honest. It has been a tough winter, so.... I am always glad to share what talent I may have. I love taking these journeys with readers, and I will be a little lost for a while, but my mind will keep busy, conjuring up all kinds of story ideas. Here's to a new year filled with good times and satisfying stories. Wouldn't mind a story review from you, but I appreciate your constant support regardless. Be well, stay safe, and I will see you again.
  4. Thank you, my dear friend, and thank you for the wonderful Story Review you left for Bearpaw. Much appreciated! I don't know when my next story will be, or even if will be a western, but hopefully something will happen soon. Meanwhile, I could use a little break, content Jubal and Lucas are happy and settled, and that Reid and Billy have a new understanding and commitment. The wildings were as much of the story as any person, as were Kema, Bean, Dinah, Pistol, Rabbit, Strawberry, and the other sorrel mares. I just love having your support, Sherye. Thank you.
  5. We can use nonetheless if we want to. No, of course it wasn't a sad ending, but I'll miss them too. They are a part of me though, and I will think about them often. What can I say, my friend? Love makes the world go round. I'm glad you found the prequels too, J J. Those stories, "Sidewinder" and "Larkspur: A Sidewinder Tale" brought me right into the Old West, and opened up a whole new world of possibilities. Really, though, it all started with "Finding Refuge", a western I wrote for an anthology. It took a while after that, but I finally wrote the multi chapter western I had been wanting to. Thanks for the cheers, and the support, and please leave a Story Review if you wouldn't mind. Take care. G.
  6. It's been my pleasure, Ford. Mondays will be emptier for me too, though there is always some relief that the work is done for a time, and the story delivered in the way I intended. Loveliness? That is awesome to hear. Hopefully the next story won't be too far off. Meanwhile, I have to remind you that there are things you can do to help this story get more exposure and make the author happy. Story Likes, Story Recommendation, and of course, a Story Review would be my wish. It need not be expansive... this comment would make a good one. Anyway, thanks again for sharing such nice thoughts with me, friend.
  7. Thanks, centex. I'm pleased you enjoyed this. Billy and Reid seem to have the makings of a good life. We already know Billy is responsible and industrious, so I have no doubts he will be a good farmer. And the fact they have the backing of his pa is truly amazing. Will Senior was a joy to write for a story set in such a different time. Yea, Reid is done with finding pleasure where he can. He's ready for love, and he feels it. As far as the horses, they've hit the jackpot. All those mares are likely rebred... since it is early fall, so there should be a lot of foals come spring... and the got those three fine sorrel mares who the Prescotts owned. I'm pleased you got what you did from Kema. He was a special horse, and they had a special bond, so this unexpected colt who looks so much like him has given Jubal some peace... and hopefully closure. Kema isn't gone. At this point, Reid has Dinah to use, so there's no rush to find a big horse for hauling. Thanks for the kind words, my friend, and thanks you so much for the Story Review. Those things mean a lot to me, and your s was awesome. I'm so glad the imagery and writing work for you. I always try to keep improving the way I tell a story. Cheers! Gary.
  8. Thank you, James! It has been my pleasure to give you pleasure. This has been a phenomenal journey, and the reactions, like this one, have been so rewarding to me. I have grown to love writing westerns, and this is my fourth multi-chapter Old West Tale. Will I continue with another one? Who's to say? I am at the mercy of my muse. Appreciate the support, my friend, and I know I can be annoying about asking for things, but this comment would make a fine Story Review... Just saying.... Cheers! Gary.
  9. The land... the farm... is as much a character of the story as the people. That bounty from the garden will keep them well fed, and the wildings have given them another income stream for the future, not to mention horses are both their passions. The apples too, will help ensure their success as farmers. So yes, my friend, it is all tied together with their love for one another. Neither man is alone, having found that which is most precious... a partner in life. I wondered if Kema's foal would have as much impact on readers as it had on me. It appears it did, and that makes this sappy old man happy. Good point about Lucas and Jubal setting an example for Reid and Billy. They also provide friendship to each other, and they don't have to hide who they are. That alone, is a powerful thing. I love Will Senior. He is a man who does nothing special, just loves his son, but... we all know it IS special. His compassion and understanding is something Billy can rely on. We can suppose his acting out was the process of accepting who he was after the loss of his mother, that self hate we can fall victim to, but Reid gives him focus and purpose. When love hits you... real love... it changes you, and for Billy, it calmed him down. No wonder he fell for Reid. The man is a keeper now that he has it all figured out. Yeah, there are a few possibilities to mine Bearpaw further, but I have no idea where my muse will take me. There are always new frontiers to explore. "Brilliantly gritty story of love". Awesome, Craig. Thank you for you constant support and for your superb Story Review! It means a lot to me. Cheers.
  10. Thanks, Doc! And thank you for the wonderful Story Review you left as well. They go a long way to getting a story noticed. I couldn't ask for more than you thinking this was the best chapter yet. I do like to go out with a bang. On the surface, this was a story about trauma, the danger of the times, and loneliness. How did men cope with the massive challenges. I think the answer here, is they can't do it alone, not and be happy. "Some of what was lost was found". This is a perfect description... a better one... of Bearpaw: An Old West Tale, and I love it. It is so on the money. Kema did set a tone for this story... and he lives and breathes in what he left behind. He was the one who stood close when Jubal had no one, and that bond is like nothing I've ever experienced elsewhere. To Kema! Thank you for giving this story its beating heart! It is so nice to be appreciated, my friend, and you have shown that appreciation here and with your extra step in leaving a review. I can't speak for other authors, but I do work hard to get a story right, and the process can be grueling. When we get to the end, though, I forget all about that. The journey is the point, and the end is the peace I hope we all feel. Lol. That pesky branch was tossed into the woods beside the drive. Maybe it is now a walking stick for an elf? Thanks again, my friend. Hopefully, it won't be too long before I am posting again.
  11. Lol. That there olive oil has been a godsend for eons. If you're content, I'm content, buddy, and before I forget, I want to thank you for the wonderful Story Review you left for Bearpaw. And, Reidout Fridays does have a nice ring to it. I loved writing Will Senior. He's a man who thinks for himself, and loves his son. There are plenty of those loving fathers in this world, and I'm sure there were then as well. In fact, he intrigues me... just saying. I understand readers wanting more of Reid and Billy, but I just don't know as yet. I always intended to give this glimpse, so no one was left hanging. Right now, I think it is enough. Thanks again, my friend. It's been a fun ride. Cheers to the fine men of Bearpaw!
  12. You're most welcome, Doc. I'm glad Kema's foal brought tears to your eyes. I've had a lot of weepy times since October 22/2023, and maybe this brought Jubal some closure. My Mondays will be emptier too, but I'm happy with this story. There's nothing I would change, and that gives me a good feeling. Love these guys... and all the animals. Cheers, my friend.
  13. No, one was not enough.
  14. Hey, Mags! Any kind of engagement is just fine with me. I don't look for eloquence, though I often get it from you and others. A story within a story... that's perfect because that's how I saw it. That's how I saw Reid and Billy, and it is something I've done in a couple of other stories... with Dawson in Endings, and Hugh in Morningstar. I really wanted to show a good father, because they did exist. Will Senior is a very visible man in Bearpaw, upstanding and all that, yet his concern wasn't for him... it was for a son he saw go off the rails. I found that little part beautiful, his conversation with Reid. Will understood what would make his son truly happy, and that was his plea to Reid... to love his son. And Reid knows what he wants now. He gave himself a test, and he passed. He has no doubts, and it sounds like Billy never had any. I can imagine the joy Billy is feeling. Reid probably has a smile that can't be wiped away as they walk their additional land. Will we see them again? I really can't say, and I'm not being coy. Thanks for thinking of my Sky. It was an emotional scene for me, but I loved having that moment when Jubal finds out Kema left him a gift, and then him seeing a colt 'spit from his pa's mouth'. I will not forget Ke, and it makes me ridiculously happy that you teared up over his birth. We went on a journey together, and got to watch Jubal and Lucas overcome so much. "They will love strong". Perfect, my dear friend. Thank you!
  15. We'll see, George. I never make any promises, and what I told of Reid and Billy was always what I intended... but, I never say never. It's been an incredible journey for me, and I hope for you too. Thanks for your support, my friend.
  16. I'll happily take perfect, my friend. This story left me contented. I told the story I wanted to, and fell in love with the characters. Lucas and Jubal were revelations to me. We found out more about Billy in this one, and I believe it was just enough. I wanted readers to care about Reid and Billy, and I was stoked when I saw it start to happen a number of chapters back. They are side characters, but not far off the heart of the story, so I couldn't leave their story untold. Yeah, Ke was a secret I held onto till the very end. I can picture him perfectly, just like I can picture his look-alike sire. When writing these westerns, the animals make the story for me, and Bearpaw was no exception. Thanks, t,n., and thank you for the heads up. Be well. Gary.
  17. Well... you... I... never know what I'm going to do, so maybe something new will come from this one, or possibly something entirely different. It's great to hear you found the story epic, my friend. And Happy Endings are what I do. Also, thanks for the heads up on edits. It was appreciated very much.
  18. This is wonderful to hear, Kris! I did fret over this really long final chapter, wanting it to be seamless and rewarding for readers, and leaving them content with the journey. Lucas and Jubal are fantastic characters to have explored. Jubal especially, amazed with with his humbleness and his heroics... but even more was that he still had such a strong capacity to love after all that trauma he suffered. I won't forget them, nor will I forger Reid and Billy, Doc Vance, Morey, William senior, and even the shiny man. Unfortunately, I won't forget the Prescott boys either. A bad guy can make a western, and Ronnie played his part beautifully. I appreciate your support throughout, and I thank you very much for your wonderful Story Review.
  19. We had to have that herd of wildings caught, buddy. I'm happy you were surprised by Kema's colt. Anyone who has ever had horses understands the loss Jubal endured. It was kind of bittersweet for me after losing Sky during this story, and I will admit it had me emotional. Happy too you liked Billy and Reid's story, and how that turned out. They were destined from the beginning, and I was determined to write about a good pa in this one. Thanks for the lovely words, Albert. These men have been blessed, with good love, good land, fine animals, and friendships. I very much appreciate the wonderful review of Bearpaw that you left. THANK YOU!
  20. Hey, Berwyn. I'm sorry to see it end too, but it was time. Jubal and Lucas have endured so much, and they have withstood the fires, so we leave them contented with their lives. Yeah, I get that about Reid and Billy, but I think we got a pretty good look into their future. I very much loved writing William Senior. He's a good man who wants his sone to be happy, and that's how it should always be. Thanks for this and for reading. I would love it if you left a Story Review, but it's up to you. Take care, friend, and maybe I'll see you on Mondays to come.
  21. The final, triple length chapter of Bearpaw is now posted... I can relax....
  22. Caught Jubal swung his side of the gate shut, holding it in place while Lucas did the same with his. Keeping Pistol still, he watched Lucas leap from his sorrel mare—the one what used to be Ronnie Prescott’s—and slide the stout, six-foot long boards along their channels to join the gates together. Now they could celebrate, and both let out a whoop, joyful and relieved at what they’d finally managed to do. Dismounting and ground tying his mare, Jubal hugged Lucas tight a
  23. Thanks, J J! Nothing makes me happier than when a reader says they felt like they were there with the characters. Writing an authentic feeling Old West story meant I had to make choices in how to tell it. I admit to having been unsure about the dialect and word choice, tenses and grammar. I mean, it really breaks a lot of those rules that are second nature to me, but I found a niche and rhythm I was comfortable with, and thankfully, comments like this tells me it works. There was a lot of editing and reediting and more reediting before I was satisfied, though. If you found this one special, then I am happy. I find it special too, and not just because it was my first multi-chapter western. At the risk of tooting my own horn, or roping my own steer, this story has heart, and that is what I always strive for. You rock, my friend, for taking the time to share such wonderful thoughts with me. Cheers! Gary.
  24. Hey, bro. Chilly here too, and I am not liking it. Have another cold... third since late October.
×
×
  • Create New...