Jump to content

Headstall

Signature Author
  • Posts

    52,293
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Headstall

  1. Headstall

    Chapter 7 Castle

    I agree too. I like the use of the word 'gentling', something a cowboy knows all about. You have to trust your gut with a horse when you are gentling them... each one is different and you must meet each situation that arises with patience. Lucas seems to be doing that. That said, horse are easier than men... without a doubt.
  2. Headstall

    Chapter 7 Castle

    They certainly have so far, Terry. Ever since they met, they have been backing each other up, whether with bandits, the sheriff, or the farm itself. Sometimes friendships just click, and theirs has for sure. Their skills and attitudes too, as you say, complement each other, and that allows for great give and take. The fact you like the idea of a complete loft tells me how invested you were in the descriptions, and that makes me very happy. I agree there is a natural flow to their conversations... they allow each other to say what the want... and don't push too much for more. It is that respect that they both need, especially Jubal. I like that you mention silent support... Lucas knows how to just be there, and that shows he is very intuitive of his new friend. Slow burn... that is music to my ears. t's been mentioned a few times now, and I can't ask for more than that. Slow burns are hottt. Thanks, buddy.
  3. Headstall

    Chapter 7 Castle

    Delicious agony... I love that, Darryl. I will certainly remember that phrase. No one is more afraid than Jubal that he might let something slip about who he is... that comes with the territory of trying to hide from the world. I understand those butterflies too, and the feeling of that slow burn... what a wonderful and memorable comment. Glad you like the way this story is unfolding. Thank you, friend.
  4. I'm glad you don't just think of me as a writer of westerns, Dan. The majority of my stories are not in that genre, and even though I enjoy writing them, I'm with you. I suspect my next posted story will be a modern romance. Thank you, my friend.
  5. Works for me, buddy. I really liked writing Trina in this one after that awful scene with Carly. Cheers!
  6. Story reviews really work! Nice to see you back here. Comments on this story always make me happy. I remember beginning this story and thinking there is no way I can make this a short story. These guys deserve more. So, off I went on a journey I hadn't expected to take, and I'm really glad I did. My writing took a turn for the good in this one, and I thank you for supporting it, Dan.
  7. Headstall

    Chapter 7 Castle

    There hasn't been a lot of time shared, but these men have made the most of every minute, being a team during the hold up, being a team under the scrutiny of Reid, and being a team for this whole day long, building something Lucas couldn't ever have imagined by himself. So yeah, Jubal is feeling proud, and feeling like he belongs. It's easier when you've contributed like he has, but it's more than that. He trusts this man he hardly knows... so maybe he isn't so right about his lack of instincts. And yeah, Lucas is seeing this, so I think you are right. He's made the offer to someone he trusts too. He understands this kind of connection is rare for the times, where most men (cowboys especially) are transient, working as islands. What will Jubal do? It's hard to say... he is used to running when things get scary, and what he feels for Lucas scares him. He might want to stay, but will he risk it? Lots ahead of us, my friend. Thanks for this.
  8. Headstall

    Chapter 7 Castle

    This is just right too, my dear friend. I don't realize how much I need these boosts until I get them. You, and the rest, have made me feel really good about this 'building' chapter. I will always think of 'calming' in the context of this chapter from now on. Reading has rescued me from many a crap day, so I'm pleased I can do it for you. I thank you times triple as well, Onim.
  9. Headstall

    Chapter 7 Castle

    Hi, Sherye! Yeah, I agree, and maybe we can see the house as a metaphor for the growth of their friendship. Before they met, the log cabin was destined to be nice but nothing special, and now it is something to be appreciated, admired even. Lucas is seeing something in Jubal he likes a lot, enough to make the offer for him to stay. Who knows how it will turn out, but I think right now, they do need each other. Loneliness can't be fought alone. It needs someone to lead us out of the grey. Thanks, my friend... glad you liked it.
  10. Headstall

    Chapter 7 Castle

    Hey, Doc. Maybe they are healing together. Jubal's tragedy brought them together, and a fight for their lives followed close behind, so to accomplish what they have today must be invigorating for both men, and providing that calmness of spirit. Lucas learned a lot about his new friend over the course of today, and Jubal let loose those tight reins he has on himself, at least a little bit. Neither man had a good relationship with their father, and that helps with the understanding of each other. I liked that Lucas said he could see it in Jubal's eyes when he looked around the farm, that calmness, and that shows the man has been paying close attention. No matter what's is ahead, their friendship is a real one... Lucas's offer proves that... and Jubal considering it is a big deal for a man used to running from his feelings. Thanks, my friend. Appreciate the support as always. G.
  11. Headstall

    Chapter 7 Castle

    A classic! Chris LeDoux is a legend. Thanks, Albert!
  12. Headstall

    Chapter 7 Castle

    Lol. Apparently you are not alone.
  13. Headstall

    Chapter 7 Castle

    Eye candy as motivation is never to be underestimated. Jubal is fighting a losing battle it would seem, but at the same time, he seems really good at denying himself what he wants. Sometimes just looking will get you through. Vincent was a mentor in more ways than one. Jubal learned so much from him, the least of which was how to love... and he remembers him fondly despite their inevitable end. I wanted the cabin to be something we might still see today, standing after all these years, a testament to hard work and dedication to something done right. I admire the accomplishments made in those times. I have a barn full of power tools while they had rudimentary hand ones. I do a fair bit of cooking in my crockpot. I like overdone meats in stews, and potatoes and carrots and turnip that are almost mush when you eat them. The following day it is even better. I'm afraid I'll have to admit Lucas seems to know what Jubal needs. Is it friendship or another motive that makes him care about the man? Blah blah blah. And yes, he is patient, and as curious as he is, he isn't pushy. He wants Jubal to say, and he isn't afraid to say so, and I commend that. Will that cause Jubal to have hope for more? Find out next week or weeks when you check out the continuing saga of the boys of Bearpaw. Thank you, dear friend, as always, for your thoughtfulness.
  14. Headstall

    Chapter 7 Castle

    Beautiful!
  15. Headstall

    Chapter 7 Castle

    I love how you are seeing this, Albert. They do have a lot in common, and they do complement each other. As always, your words are very kind. On the frontiers, homes ran the gamut in quality and materials, and I wanted to show one that might still be around today. Glad you liked it. Thanks, my friend.
  16. Headstall

    Chapter 2 Stench

    Lol. Yeah, that's funny. Jubal has his principles, and I respect that. It was a lawless time, but there were plenty of decent men who lived by a code. Not shooting a man in the back was a big part of that, but I admit I might have been tempted, especially if he was responsible for the death of my horse. It would have seemed 'justified' to me. Thanks, buddy, for reading and commenting. It is always appreciated.
  17. That's good enough for me, buddy. You've already said great things about this one. Bigotry is something we can never escape from, but Michael and Kendall have proven they can handle anything together.
  18. Headstall

    Chapter 7 Castle

    I love the warm and fuzzies. If I can give you that I feel blessed. We're on a journey with these men, and who knows where it will lead (other than me).... You are so kind to say your Monday's are happier with me in the world. That makes me happy too. Thanks for the boost... I love Bearpaw Mondays and what they bring me. Cheers!
  19. Headstall

    Chapter 7 Castle

    Hey, Doha! They do make a great team, and each man can see that. What they did on this day is something to be proud of... to be remembered, and I'm sure each will. Attraction s powerful, and also scary, which is why a path to love is a road filled with hazards. Jubal certainly knows that, and Lucas seems worldly enough to be aware of potential disappointments. The true test is whether a person can be steered from the course. Jubal isn't running, and that sounds like a new thing for him. Lucas... well he is providing shelter and understanding... so we'll see if there is something monumental to come. Cheers and thanks, my friend.
  20. Headstall

    Chapter 7 Castle

    Thanks, Ford, for letting me know that. Cheers!
  21. Headstall

    Chapter 7 Castle

    Hey, centex. Now I'm thinking I should have gone ahead and named this chapter "Calming". It really is a great word here. Jubal saying he needed calming could be taken so many ways, but I think we all understand that need. A fun fact. I added on to my barn when I first moved to this farm, and my kid sister helped me build the roof and cover it in steel. We did it in one very long day, but she hung in there, passing me stuff and being a real help. I think it brought us close again after not seeing each other for a couple of years. I wasn't expecting her, and told her I couldn't stop what I was doing. She pitched right in, and has always said it is one of her best memories. Jubal has learned to be cautious, but it seems he can't help revealing things he normally wouldn't when he is talking to Lucas. That says a lot. Maybe he doesn't trust his instincts, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have them. I think he know Lucas would accept him either way. So glad you liked this chapter. I worry the story is moving too slow, but I have to write it the way I feel it. Cheers and thanks, my friend.
  22. Headstall

    Chapter 7 Castle

    That saying of working from sunup to sundown came from reality. Farmers worked hard, and I wanted to show that work ethic Jubal, and Lucas, learned a long time ago. Nowadays it could seem almost superhuman to accomplish so much, but time was so important back them, when tools were wanting, and there was no such thing as electricity to make life easier. Still, what Jubal did even impressed his new friend. I agree about the invitation. I think Lucas has had a taste of having someone help him succeed. He still has doubts in himself, and Jubal has shown him what is possible when they work as a team. That alone is seductive to a man who has felt beaten from time to time. Why would he ever want Jubal to leave? I agree too that Lucas must be wondering a little about Vincent. Friendships between men were a fact of life back then, but still.... Hmmm... will that flame produce smoke, or a blaze? Thanks, Doc.
  23. Headstall

    Chapter 7 Castle

    And almost the title of this chapter. It came down to the last minute. Thanks, Mags. That storm that can be in us as we head towards adulthood is often one that needs calming. Seems like Jubal has been through a few storms in his lifetime... and maybe he's in another one. I really like how he remembers Vincent.
  24. Headstall

    Chapter 7 Castle

    Is that smoke I smell? Thanks, Mr. Dan. I'm a man who likes a slow burn.
  25. Headstall

    Chapter 7 Castle

    Nothing wrong with hoping, buddy. Right now I would say they are building trust... and maybe a larger barn is next? Thanks, Kris.
×
×
  • Create New...