-
Posts
52,251 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
Stories
- Stories
- Story Series
- Story Worlds
- Story Collections
- Story Chapters
- Chapter Comments
- Story Reviews
- Story Comments
- Stories Edited
- Stories Beta'd
Blogs
Store
Help Center
Writing
Gallery
Events
Everything posted by Headstall
-
I still haven't ruled out continuing Wyatt and Virgil's story, but I had this feeling another story set in Larkspur might be too much of a good thing, no matter how much I might have wanted to. I'll let my muse tell me what to do... my brain goes off on all these tangents, and one thread will eventually makes its way to the forefront. I could tell you where this Lucas comes from, but where is the fun in that. All will be revealed eventually. Cheers, my friend.
- 137 comments
-
- 15
-
-
-
No problem, James. I look forward to your comment.
- 137 comments
-
- 11
-
-
-
Chapter 1 Lost and Found
Headstall commented on Headstall's story chapter in Chapter 1 Lost and Found
They each give the other something. Lucas needs some help on his farm, and Jubal needs a place to lick his wounds while he figures out what he should do next. Yes, Parker, it could be a turn in both their fortunes. This chance meeting on a lonely stretch of road could be a blessing, and if not, at least a respite. What's next? A bunch of chapters is all I can say. Thanks for reading and commenting. It is much appreciated, my friend.- 81 comments
-
- 10
-
-
-
Excellent point, Doc. Bearpaw is just developing. Will it even have a hotel? Guess we'll find out in due course.
- 137 comments
-
- 16
-
-
-
-
Lol. Possibly, but I don't think bubble baths like that were available on the frontier back then. One way or another, they will get that stench off them. Especially since blood was added to the mix. Thanks, Johnny, and thanks for the story like. Much appreciated.
- 137 comments
-
- 15
-
-
-
Absolutely it was serendipitous. I researched the name but didn't find what you did. It's beautiful, and suits the place I wrote about. I honestly don't know where some of these things come from when they hit me. Thanks for this.
- 137 comments
-
- 16
-
-
-
Hi, Kris! Lucas is a character from another story in fact, but it isn't Boundaries, so you can rest easy. That piece of crap was likely hung by his neck after what he did the the people of Matador Hill. I thought about continuing Wyatt and Virgil's story, but Bearpaw was calling to me. So pleased to know you are loving the interplay. They are in the process of feeling each other out, but I think they already feel the bond of friendship. Lucas rescued Jubal, and now Jubal has done the same. I'm looking forward to this journey too, buddy. Bearpaw Mondays get me excited. Cheers and thanks.
- 137 comments
-
- 16
-
-
-
You're right the names I use are deliberate, although Larkspur, named simply for a beautiful blue flower that grew wild, I used more because I liked the sound of it. Bearpaws are totems... as you said, very important and powerful in native culture, and I named this place in the Larkspur book after researching. It was something that stuck in my mind, so when I needed a place that Sheriff Willard might travel to, it came to mind. Ever since, I wanted to 'go' there. There were requests for more stories set in Larkspur, but I wanted to take that journey to Bearpaw, so I did. I truly love it as the title for this story. I love what you see when you read, and where your mind goes. Thank you!
- 137 comments
-
- 14
-
-
-
Hmmm. What should I say, dear friend? I suppose I can tell you there is a connection to someone, but I think it more fun for you to discover it for yourself. Absolutely, Lucas has experienced a great hurt, but that too is only hinted at in this chapter. I like how you say the sidewinder-like thief. I honestly never thought of that connection but it fits. He did come across as heartless and evil. We might find out more about him... or we might not. I think Jubal would trade a lot of that gold to have Kema back. I understand that bond a man can have with a horse. I've been fortunate to have that bond with three horses... and you never get over the loss. It is a partnership that is truly astonishing. We ask so much of them, and they often are the difference between life, death and loneliness to people through the ages. Jubal is certainly attracted to Lucas... that is apparent, but it is friendship he seems to really crave. We can never underestimate the power of that. Will this story provide romance? Pffft. I ain't telling. Thank you, dear friend. We have so much more to learn, but we will get all those answers eventually. Reading your comment makes my Bearpaw Monday that much better.
- 137 comments
-
- 17
-
-
-
Thanks, Terry. That's two of you who mentioned the dialogue. I agree they have the same values it would seem. We learn a lot more about what kind of men these two are, and I hope you find them as likeable as I do. I think roping and working with that wilding colt is important to Jubal, but I wonder if that's all it is. Jubal doesn't seem like one to let his guard down, but I think we might be seeing a slip. Love the speculation about the sheriff. What will he be like? Lucas says he knows him, so I guess we'll find out if he is a decent one. Thanks for saying you enjoy my westerns, buddy. That means so much to me... don't ever want to overstay my welcome. Bearpaw is coming up next, or is it? Cheers!
- 137 comments
-
- 14
-
-
-
Thanks, Albert! You are always so kind to me. I like Jubal, and I like Lucas. Thanks for mentioning my dialogue again. It's tricky trying to get it right without turning readers off of my western speak. I always worry about it being too much. It was only a little thing, but I liked that Jubal enjoyed listening to Lucas's voice. It would seem he's been alone a lot. I didn't dwell on the gunfight... they were usually oven in seconds, so I wrote it as fast as it would have happened. Now these two have to deal with taking a life. If it didn't bother them, then they wouldn't be likeable to me. You are the best, my friend, and I love the song!
- 137 comments
-
- 18
-
-
-
I wanted to lull folks to sleep before guns showed up. It would seem the area they are in is not as tamed as Larkspur, at least not as far as accessibility and the lawless. Is the third bushwhacker long gone? Hmmm. Now what did I write? Men had to be very careful back then, but I agree. There are signs here they could have more in common than the realize. For now at least, I think Jubal is enjoying having a friend. He seems lonely to me, and there are times during their conversations Lucas seems lonely too. I'm having fun with this... hope you are too, buddy. When... if... Cheers and thanks, Doc.
- 137 comments
-
- 18
-
-
-
Killing someone was one of the harsher realities of living in such times. I've always said I would have loved to live in that time period, but killing someone as a matter of survival is something I wouldn't want to face. These men are just getting to know one another, so I'm glad you liked the pacing. As much as was said during their opening conversation, there was a lot left unsaid. It takes time to reveal yourself to another, especially when you have secrets, and Jubal appears to have some. Jubal sticking to their arrangement for the wildings tells us a lot about him. I think he senses Lucas needs help with just more than the horses, and he seems intent on being there for him, at least for time enough to make a difference--allow Lucas to catch up. He has enough of his money back to begin a life somewhere--and Lucas would surely understand that--but Jubal's gut tells him he would regret taking a different path. We'll see about the sheriff. Will he be cagey like Sheriff Willard, or will he be someone different? I was surprised nobody asked about the story title after the first chapter, but now we know what it means. Is Bearpaw another Larkspur? We'll see. Thanks, Man, for the wonderful comment. As long as readers look forward to the next chapter, I am happy. Cheers!
- 137 comments
-
- 19
-
-
-
A wonderful climb, Parker.
-
I'm confused as to how I missed these poems, but am thankful for finding the treasure. This one is captivating, and makes me want to dance with another. You never disappoint, Parker.
-
A beautiful sonnet, Parker. I see two meanings with this one, one involving sharing a journey through nature, and one involving the love we can share with another.
-
Couplet and Skyscraper
Headstall commented on Parker Owens's story chapter in Couplet and Skyscraper
I must have missed these, Parker. These are my cup of tea... just wonderful and evocative. Thank you! -
Wow. Powerful stuff, Parker, written with your usual brilliance.
-
Hey, all! Took me forever to get the new chapter right. It's up now.
-
Stench Worn out, Jubal’s body was thankful once he climbed up into the well-used buckboard. The seat weren’t wide, and Lucas took up a good bunch of it, but it had a back board he leaned against after adjusting his holster for comfort. He looked around at his tack stowed in one corner of the two-foot-deep wagon before letting loose a sigh. Everything he had left in this world was back there. Setting his feet on the footrest board this kind of wagon be named for, he ignor
- 137 comments
-
- 99
-
-
-
-
Chapter 1 Lost and Found
Headstall commented on Headstall's story chapter in Chapter 1 Lost and Found
They were very good at the tactic/practice, and did a lot of damage. The Union bushwhackers were more commonly called jayhawkers, which I'm sure you already know. Just working on fine-tuning the next chapter and I think I'm happy with it. Will sleep on it.- 81 comments
-
- 10
-
-
-
Chapter 1 Lost and Found
Headstall commented on Headstall's story chapter in Chapter 1 Lost and Found
Woot! We're only hours away from Bearpaw Monday and the next chapter.- 81 comments
-
- 10
-
-
-
Chapter 1 Lost and Found
Headstall commented on Headstall's story chapter in Chapter 1 Lost and Found
You're exactly right about the term. I'm a bit of a history nerd, and appreciate when someone else is. The term hung around long after the revolutionary war, and had common usage for outlaws in Canadian history as well as the Old West, before the American Civil War. However, it took on new meaning during that war, with organized bands of bushwhackers, many who didn't take sides, and some who did. I loved using the word in this story. It felt appropriate and timely for a man who got ambushed while sleeping in the woods. Cheers!- 81 comments
-
- 10
-
-
-
Chapter 1 Lost and Found
Headstall commented on Headstall's story chapter in Chapter 1 Lost and Found
That's great to hear, Doc. I was so looking forward to posting again. We still know very little about Jubal, but you are right about him having a tough time. Could it get any worse? Maybe Lucas will be a godsend for him... or... maybe not. I'm glad you have questions, good ones, and as always, answers will come... eventually. Thanks for coming along with me once again... I hope you enjoy the journey. I know I will. Cheers, my friend... Gary....- 81 comments
-
- 10
-
-
-
Hey, all.
