Jump to content

Headstall

Signature Author
  • Posts

    52,251
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Headstall

  1. Headstall

    Chapter 2 Stench

    With my family, they're lucky I don't know how to shoot a gun. I liked archery in school, so I might actually enjoy target shooting. Still, I'm more likely to shoot myself than a pumpkin.
  2. Headstall

    Chapter 2 Stench

    Okay... that would be different. I might need to shoot a dancing squirrel for food.
  3. Headstall

    Chapter 2 Stench

    I'm a lover not a fighter. There will be no gun loading in my future.
  4. Headstall

    Chapter 2 Stench

  5. Headstall

    Chapter 2 Stench

    I'd be one of the slowest ones.
  6. Headstall

    Chapter 2 Stench

    Okay, thanks, Doc. I think I got it now. It's kind of what I thought, but I've never used a gun... other than a BB gun.
  7. Headstall

    Chapter 2 Stench

    So... you load a percussion cap in each chamber and then put the bullet or ball in front of it... and then it's complete? The trigger strikes the cap, and the bullet/ball fires?
  8. Headstall

    Chapter 2 Stench

    Depends on the movie, but yeah.
  9. Headstall

    Chapter 2 Stench

    It's why accuracy was so important. "I can shoot the eye out of a squirrel dancing in the rain".
  10. Yep. It's my prerogative.
  11. Headstall

    Chapter 2 Stench

    Lol. There were a lot of great lines in that spaghetti western trilogy. One of my favorites... "You Never Had A Rope Around Your Neck. Well, I'm Going To Tell You Something. When That Rope Starts To Pull Tight, You Can Feel The Devil Bite Your Ass!" Lol... a classic!
  12. Headstall

    Chapter 2 Stench

    Lol. I knew you would know who I meant. Yep. Pretty green ones Jubal appears to appreciate. In my mind, they are very similar to the author's.
  13. Headstall

    Chapter 2 Stench

    Will do.
  14. Headstall

    Chapter 2 Stench

    Exactly. I know the boys have favorite rings they like, so that means something to me too. My younger daughter who loves horses will get my horse photos and artwork as well... and my saddle and headstalls.
  15. Headstall

    Chapter 2 Stench

    @drpaladin I found some of what led me to believe the Navy 1851 used cartridges... Despite the "Navy" designation, the revolver was chiefly purchased by civilians and military land forces.[4] The .36-caliber (0.375–0.380-inch [9.5–9.7 mm]) round lead ball weighs 80 grains and, at a velocity of 1,000 feet (300 m) per second, is comparable to the modern .380 pistol cartridge in power. Loads consist of loose powder and ball or bullet, metallic foil cartridges (early), and combustible paper cartridges (Civil War era), all combinations being ignited by a fulminate percussion cap applied to the nipples at the rear of the chambers.
  16. Headstall

    Chapter 2 Stench

    That's a reality we don't think about. They were easier than muskets, though, weren't they?
  17. Headstall

    Chapter 2 Stench

    At the time, the stuff I sold was like a godsend. Now I have a bunch of jewelry sitting around, but I'll leave it to my kids. I think my boys would like some of the rings and the girls would like the chains and earrings. I don't wear any of them anymore... but I might put an earring in if I go out for a social evening.
  18. Headstall

    Chapter 2 Stench

    I loved that "The Good The Bad and The Ugly trilogy. He was magnificent in those. So was Eli Wallach, and of course, Clint.
  19. Headstall

    Chapter 2 Stench

    Hey, Dan! yeah, I really enjoy the comments, especially the ones that praise me. Never mind the BM. That crap is off the table. He he. Yeah, we are getting a good idea of Jubal's attraction to this stranger. It would seem he is not comfortable with allowing those desires to come out, though. His cautiousness indicates something... maybe we'll get the whole picture eventually, but for now there is a friendship beginning, and I think that is something both of them need. Yes, this was indeed a fateful journey, but they haven't reached their destination yet. Thanks, buddy. Much appreciated.
  20. Headstall

    Chapter 2 Stench

    Hello again, my friend. The ambushers were cocky, thinking they only had a single 'dumb farmer' to deal with. That was why Jubal and Lucas were able to survive the ordeal. Jubal is fortunate to get some of his gold back, but it was tough for him to be happy when he is grieving a beloved horse and partner. He'll get past it all, but it shows us how deeply he can feel, and that tells us what kind of man he is. A good one. Then third man is an unknown. If he were smart, he'd be long gone since he lost his crew, but evil men are unpredictable, so we shall see. Are we seeing a bond form between Lucas and Jubal? It sure looks like it. Thanks for the wonderful comment and the support, Doha. Cheers!
  21. Headstall

    Chapter 2 Stench

    You and me both. I type fast, but then I have to go back and fix a lotttt of words. It's still better than the two years I typed with one finger and could hardly capitalize.
  22. Headstall

    Chapter 2 Stench

    I agree, Parker. I believe a tentative friendship was strengthened immensely by that experience. They were there for each other, and that would mean a lot to two men used to being alone. And both men felt the same about taking a life, and their biggest concern was for the other. We don't know whether the other bandit is alive or dead, or if he is long gone. We aren't even sure how bad he is injured, and we might never find out. Thanks for reading and commenting, my friend. Cheers!
  23. Headstall

    Chapter 2 Stench

    I believe you, absolutely, but that's why I say researching (guns) can be very confusing to someone who doesn't know much about them. For example, this is the kind of thing I put faith in... Lefaucheux Model 1854 In 1854, Eugene Lefaucheux introduced the Lefaucheux Model 1854, the first revolver to use self-contained metallic cartridges rather than loose powder, pistol ball, and percussion caps. It is a single-action, pinfire revolver holding six rounds. Also... I read there were cartridges made as early as 1808... in France, I think. In other research, I read in a few different links that the Navy 1851 used metallic cartridges as well as cap and ball, and later, after the civil war, they used paper cartridges. I do know some had their preferences, and that made the Navy more appealing. Thanks for the information, Doc. I guess I have to be content with it was a revolver with six rounds. Cheers!
  24. Headstall

    Chapter 2 Stench

    I think Lee needs his hat back a few inches. He was so good a as bad guy, wasn't he?
  25. Headstall

    Chapter 2 Stench

    Oh Lord. Here we go. I'm easy... we can go with oxbow, but the town folk of Bearpaw might disagree.
×
×
  • Create New...