Jump to content

Headstall

Signature Author
  • Posts

    52,217
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Headstall

  1. That's kind of the three thousand dollar question, isn't it? Coy is taking steps forward... easier to think when you are moving forward... but I believe he truly doesn't know what he wants. I don't think he is unsure of Boone, but maybe is about Boone's situation. So yeah, there are more conversations ahead.
  2. Exactly. Boone owes Sheriff Willard a debt of gratitude. I liked this chapter a lot. We get to see exactly where Coy is. He's unsure, but he is being proactive. He is searching for something too, and needs time to figure out what that is.
  3. I love that part too... and I like what followed when Boone thinks that he has no idea how a father talks to his son. It was a sad and reflective moment. Sheriff Willard played a part in saving Boone's life... he's a lawman with a long reach it would seem. Thanks, buddy.
  4. I had the same experience, being swept downriver in freezing water while on horseback. I completely blocked it from my mind for a couple oy years because it was too traumatic to think about. Terror is the right word. Coy came to the rescue, and I'm sure we'd all like to know why. I don't know if he was guided by the Lord, but I will say his faith probably helped him keep going as he searched for days.
  5. Thanks, Terry. These kind of comments make it so worth it after I've put my heart and soul and time into writing a story. You guys are the best!
  6. Thanks, buddy! I love the reaction to the storm. Boone's mom was like so many other women in those times in the Old West. They're weren't many choices and whores were a part of the life. It had to have been hard, and drink likely made it easier to accept. But yeah, she loved her son... when she could. Your praise for the writing is always very kind, and I appreciate that.
  7. Yup. You are both seeing it right. There is an uncertainty between them that has been magnified since Will's death. It isn't going to get any easier, and I think they each feel that. The die is cast... and what will be will be... maybe distance is exactly what is needed.
  8. Have you ever been hurt so much that you push people away, rather than expose your heart again? I think this is where Boone is at. We see him floundering over whether he is making the right choice, but once on a road, it can be hard to leave it. I understand your feelings for Boone right now... he's said too much and he's said it harshly. Not out of meanness, but out of past experience. In all fairness, Coy let him down with that punch... he was a participant in that kiss, and then did an about face. I might not let myself get over that either. My point is, both men are hurting, and so are the readers.
  9. Lol. That about sums it up, Albert. This is a tough thing for both of them, and really hard to navigate. Boone can't take back the things he said, and Coy has too much pride to want him to. Men. Thanks, my friend.
  10. Headstall

    Chapter 4 Lawman

    As readers we get invested, and we wish we could plot the characters' courses, but we can't. The journey might be tough at times, but it takes us where we need to go. The sheriff is definitely a good and 'right proper' man who is honest and principled. Boone and Coy were lucky he was one of the good ones. Yes, Wes and Lee would have wanted the boys to have the gold, and the sheriff new that. They've been given a gift... let's see what they each do with it. Thanks, buddy.
  11. Headstall

    Yoga

    Happy you think so. Love can happen at any age, and there may always be some hurdles to get past, but they are worth the effort. Thanks so much for reading this and sharing your thoughts.
  12. Yeah, I kind of like the room I have. I have big windows and a terrific view of nature. I've accepted that part of what makes my life enjoyable is the satisfaction I get from renovating and improving. I ignored that for a while while I devoted most of my time to writing, nut I need balance. I don't fret so much over producing new work in a steady stream. That is too much pressure. And yeah, my bed is big... need room for Cookie.
  13. If a writer wants to be authentic, he can't shy away from difficult subjects. You don't just acquire knowledge out of thin air, and Boone didn't want Coy to experience the feelings he did for his first time. It was a conversation he needed to have, but it was not an easy subject to tackle. I loved Coy's response... sounds easier than shaving. Yeah, I'm sure that tent got warm... and Blue and the other stock better get used to the night sounds. Thanks, my friend.
  14. It's impressive you worked that out, buddy. Boone knew the value of gold coins, and while other money was gaining faith during that time, gold was what everyone preferred. Having forged a relationship with Corker will likely help them in many ways. The man knows where all the good stock is, and he can repair any wagon, wheel, or piece of harness. I'm sure he is a highly respected member of the community, and it would appear he has provided them an exceptional team. I agree about Coy, and it is impressive how much he takes note of. I mean, for someone Boone didn't think was a farmer, he knew the price of a new plow. Yeah, he is definitely all in... and yes... turns out he is a good communicator now that his fear has dissipated.
  15. Thank you, Dan! Of the many side characters I've written, he might have been the most fun for me. He's learned to compensate for losing his voice, and he's passionate about his work. No one can take that away from him.
  16. Bless you too, my friend. Loss starts a journey for all of us, and it is something that can't be rushed. I'm always around if you need to talk. And 50... hell, that's young! Seriously... I would love to be that age again. I agree about stories being a gift that keeps giving. For example, I just reread this because of your comment, and it lifted me up like it has in the past. It's like an old friend that becomes new again. I loved telling Maurice and David's story... so much that I eventually added two more installments. Thank you for bringing me back to this. I babysat my daughter's two crazy dogs tonight and I'm so tired I can barely keep my eyes open, but I had to check out your comment.
  17. Well... he took the time he needed, but he got there in the end. Hallelujah is right!! It was a great feeling when I got to this chapter... these two bucked the odds in a different and difficult time, and there is real love to show for it. Boone has his home and he has the man who has owned his heart. Thanks, buddy.
  18. That kind of thing from Will would have messed anyone up. Coy's been carrying this around, not wanting to Boone to get riled, trying to protect him from Will's wrath. It explains so much, and yeah, I feel pity for him too. Between his brother and his mum, and religion, he had to fight hard to keep his friendship with Boone. That is so wrong, on so many levels. But, it's all out in the open now. Is Boone frustrated? Maybe so, but I think he just wants to give Coy the room he needs... and made the choice to be honest with him.
  19. And ooops, I missed this.
  20. It the kind of situation that needs time to work itself out. Coy is trying to understand Boone more, I think. Also, trying to understand himself, and if his confusion means anything more than friendship. Boone is being realistic... he's had hope before, and knows how it ended, so he needs to be cautious with his heart. I believe he realizes now that Coy's friendship is enough. Thanks, Dan.
  21. Absolutely true, Dan, but it's a start. At this moment, the seem to need each other, and have accepted that fact. What the future holds, they or we don't know, but as Coy said, he can think better when he has something to do and someplace to go. Actually, they are headed for the woods. Thanks for the comment, buddy.
  22. Thanks, Terry! I had a lot of fun writing it. Worked real hard on it. We don't know yet why Coy was following Boone, but yeah, it's a good bet Sheriff Willard gave him a kick in the pants. Blue really is the hero, but horses and mules do tend to look for their own pack, and he probably caught scent of Buttercup and Mouse. Lot fd credit to Coy too, for searching every inch of the banks of Snake River... but that's what you do for a good friend.
  23. Kind of makes you want to hold your breath doesn't it? Boone must be doing a bunch of that right now. What else could go wrong for Boone? Plenty, my friend... plenty.
×
×
  • Create New...