Jump to content

Myr

Site Administrator
  • Posts

    15,741
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Myr

  1. This story is a bit odd for me. I am not a huge fan of first person as it is difficult to do well. I definitely don't understand the plot.
  2. Take some time to check out our Fairy Tales Anthology from Spring 2007 In no particular order: Would you mind taking a few minutes to leave a review for our hardworking authors? For Authors! We'd also like to remind all authors that we have 4 Anthology themes for 2018 and a Novella Contest: Contests 2018 Summer Novella Anthology - Due April 15th, 2018 Anthologies 2018 Spring Anthology: Now or Never - Due May 15th 2018 Spring Anthology: Encounters - Due May 15th 2018 Fall Anthology: Fight Back - Due Nov 15th 2018 Fall Anthology: Good Intentions - Due Nov 15th
  3. Myr

    Baby Driver

    So, while I was laid up this weekend, I finally had some time where I could do pretty much nothing but catch up on the very large pile of movies I have sitting here. Well, I could have caught up on the very large pile of books or games or reading lists or nevermind. I watched movies. Baby Driver was one of them. Now, I love action movies. Check. This has action. I'm rather fond of any movie with a Twink-like character in it. Check. Check. Kevin Spacey almost always plays an obnoxious prick. Turns out the reason why is because he's not actually acting that part. Knowing what we know about Mr. Spacey, I have some concern for Ansel Elgort... after all... Mr. Spacey was calling the guy Baby the whole time. And was a manipulative bastard of the first order. Anyway, I enjoyed the movie. It went pretty quick and there were only a couple of slower spots to distract. The links above are affiliate links, so if you decide to go buy them from Amazon (USA), then Gay Authors gets a cut.
  4. 1. Select "Add Series" from "Add Story" Menu (Or "Add World" if you are adding a World) 2. Fill in the series title. (Or World Title for Worlds) 3. Fill in the name of the contributors. 3. Fill in the description. 4. Add cover images as applicable for your member group. Please use the correct image sizes shown below the upload field. 5. Click save. This works exactly the same for Worlds.
  5. Question: How do I set up a Series or World? Short Answer: See full answer for step-by-step instructions View full question
  6. This week's blog was triggered by the observation that some authors and members seem to be unaware of a built-in feature of our Stories system. This is the Series function. First, for the readers, you can find Series easiest by using the right-side menu on the main stories page. See below: If the Longest Series is not your thing, you can easily adjust it by selecting "Sort By" and choosing a different option: When you click on a Series Title, say "Gone From Daylight", the stories will be listed in Series order. You'll recognize Series stories in the system because they'll have a Series # followed by Series Title after the Story Title. For example, on the Gone From Daylight Series page, you can see the highlighted Series # and Series Title: That's all great for Readers, but how to Authors make a Story part of a Series? Easy! Edit the Story and right at the top of Step 1 is the Series Title and Series Number: We do ask that Authors not add the Series Title and Series number until there are at least two Stories in the Series posted in the system. Also note, that is a great way to tie related Anthology stories together. Although in the case of Anthologies, the staff will have to edit the story for you. I hope that helps everyone understand our Series function in Stories.
  7. The start of a new year is a time of reflecting. I've been doing a lot of reflecting lately. I'm in the process of searching for a new employer so that I can move. We're coming up on three years since dad passed away. I've more than quadrupled my visits to mom since then. Most of the summer and fall, it was every weekend. It's not a horrible drive, but I'm tired of it. Mom wants me to move back in with her and I'm good with that. It would let me take care of the stuff she needs and let her take care of her parents. (Grandpa is 86, Grandma is 83). My career is flexible enough, in theory, to move and get a new job and with the economy going finally, this should work in theory. But I am getting rather sick of working for other people. When you step back in look... there are 168 hours in a week. Scratch 50 hours for sleep. Scratch 60 hours for work, going to work or getting ready for work. Scratch another 10 hours for chores/bills/other requirements of life. That leaves 48 total hours in the week. then GA. figure 4 hours a day averaged out for what I do. That leaves 20 hours. chances are good that not more an 2 or 3 of those hours are consecutively available. And by the time all that is done, I don't want to be on the computer anymore. I usually read or occasionally I'll get time up in gaming. This pattern has been pretty much the same for 10 years. So, I'm working on breaking that pattern a bit and get into a pattern of writing more. Some of this is the blogs. I'm now handling three site blogs per week. Some of them are fairly simple, but the Tech Tuesday blog is a lot more involved. I'm also thinking of doing just a general sort personal blog, like this one, once a week. I'm also looking more into alternative revenue sources for the site. One of those options is what they call affiliate marketing. That is, we link to products that other people are selling and we get a small fee if you buy after clicking on our links. Since I'm a gadget kind of guy, I've thought about talking about some of the gadgets I get in my blog and putting up an Amazon link to it so that if you decide you want to try it too, the site can get a cut. Also thinking of doing the same with books and movies. Writing and posting blogs regularly keeps me in the writing mood and helps prompt me to write more in other areas. I'm currently reviewing my Harry Potter and Parliament of Dreams story so I can finally complete it and then focus on new stuff that is wholly my own. I'm also targeting the anthologies this year. Slowly but surely I want to get myself back into a regular writing habit. Time will tell! Let me know what you think.
  8. 4 letter slang words for upper and lower female anatomy. Google really loves flagging those words. Obnoxiously insulting word starting with an N for people of African descent. Also highly flagged. Posts in this topic using those words appropriately as examples were blocked automatically because Google only flags the word, not the context. @Timothy M.And yes, I'd love to have everyone subscribe and kick touchy advertising rules to the curb.
  9. I should point out that the system now automatically moderates certain words. If you have those words, the system will block the post. This is so that Google doesn't punish us. Please keep the public areas teen friendly. If you want to have a debate on that, I suggest The Pit, which Goggle does not access. Those words are allowed in stories, but should be rated appropriately.
  10. Thank you for the information. We'll contact folks in private if we need more. The issue has been reported to the programmer, but we'll be unable to patch for awhile. He is working on the new version of the software.
  11. Myr

    Chapter 1

    Thanks and welcome to the site. I'm glad you enjoyed the story.
  12. Welcome to the New Year! We are wrapping up the last of the Writing Tips before launching our new weekly article feature. Be sure to check these out and let Comicality know what you think!
  13. It has, yes. The Story Banners are an option for the promoted authors, yes. I'd say more a Publisher (Gay Authors) Standard. Please see the topic in Writing Circle I've made about this.
  14. Only the Author and Staff can see unpublished chapters.
  15. @Timothy M. Thank you for reporting that formatting issue. I'll have the staff work with him to correct the problem as that looks awful. And no, there is already a Story Detail (Table of Contents) page that does exactly that function. Chapter Text is for chapter text ONLY. People that are not following this will eventually be contacted because this is a display quality issue.
  16. I usually use the hammer but you keep telling me to be nicer
  17. A great time to Review the story folks. Read and Review. Encourage the authors to write more... or come back in some cases. (also a great time for authors still around to let us know the description and the tags so we can update the story) @Graeme
  18. There is a chapter title field for the chapter title and the chapter text field is for chapter text only. There is no need for the title to be repeated in the chapter. As a general rule, text sizing and style should be stripped when you paste into the editor. As a side note, there is also a "Chapter Note" and "Chapter End Note" for author notes. Again with these, the Chapter Text field is for Chapter Text ONLY. Please avoid putting anything other than cleanly formatted chapter text in the chapter text field. It's likely that it will cause issues with the chapter text controls and require you to fix in the future.
  19. I thought I'd start off 2018 with a reminder to everyone about computer security. In the past year, we've seen major security breaches that gave away pretty much everyone's personal financial information and worse. It was bad, to put it mildly. So, first, I'm not a security expert but I'm offering some common sense items for everyone. Use different passwords on all of your accounts. Use Strong passwords( 8+ characters, mix of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers and special characters like $#@!) If this sounds scary to you, use a password manager. I use LastPass personally as it works on all my devices. Use Two-Factor Authentication on your major email addresses and all financial accounts. This could be an authenticator app, using the option to get codes texted to you, or setting up security questions. Keep your computer software up to date! You can change your password in your Account Settings. It shows you how strong your password is as you type it. Go for green! (a password Strength indicator shows up when you start typing) Gay Authors offers two-factor authentication as well. Either questions or the Google Authenticator App. Or both. Further resources from MIT: https://ist.mit.edu/security/tips I also use Secunia PSI for making sure all the programs on my machine are updated. It's free for home use: http://learn.flexerasoftware.com/SVM-EVAL-Personal-Software-Inspector
  20. Me too! But reading on a mobile device is great. And if you want to avoid the ads, get more stories, and keep us updating and open, there is Premium:
  21. Gay Authors uses a responsive web design that works quite well on mobile. Developing a separate app would not be a cost-effective way to spend our limited resources at this time.
  22. Happy New Years Everyone! We'd like to thank everyone here at Gay Authors for a great 2017! Looking forward to the new year, we hope 2018 is the best ever for Gay Authors.
  23. As a big fan of history, this is a great reminder of the past while tying into the chain reaction anthology theme. Great essay!
      • 1
      • Love
  24. A good little short story with a great message!
  25. It certainly evokes the feeling of the darkness of winter.
×
×
  • Create New...