Jump to content
Last Call for Anthology Stories! ×

Summerabbacat

Members
  • Posts

    8,287
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Summerabbacat

  1. “Get out!” Zayn shouted, his voice trembling violently. River flinched, tears streaming down his face, then turned and bolted out of the dining hall, his sobs echoing behind him. Zayn stood there like a statue, his entire world collapsing around him. He didn’t even blink as his aunt gently rubbed his shoulder, whispering, “I told you so.” No one moved. No one spoke. Dinner was over. But the night wasn’t. Because as the silence settled, Leonardo’s eyes—cold, sharp, and calculating—lifted from his plate to stare at Veronica. And he just sighed and shook his head. " Leonardo has not been fooled by Cobwebs and his equally manipulative and deceitful nephew. I am sure he is well aware of Cobwebs' current financial circumstances and has calculated what her modus operandi is. I am hoping maybe he has bugged her room, Adrian's room and Harry's room, and will play the conversations between them for all to hear. Even if he has not, I expect (or at least live in hope for) a big reveal from Leonardo in the concluding chapter, one which results in Cobwebs exiled from the family and living in a rat infested trailer park, Adrian charged with drugging River and sent to jail, and Harry Cobwebs roommate. As for River, I hope he is employed by Leonardo, who gives him a sign-on bonus to help pay his father's medical bills. As for his "relationship" with Zayn, the latter has a lot of growing up and begging to do before he deserves River's affection.
  2. I have revisited the earlier chapters trying to pinpoint an event which may have triggered reality to cease and Adam's parallel universe to kick in. Alas, I have not been able to do so. This chapter was painful to read, knowing that the events are all in Adam's imagination, or are they? Is this story a "Bobby Ewing dreamt the whole thing and none of it really happened" equivalent? When are you going to put us "out of our misery" @ChromedOutCortex, LOL? This story has more suspense than a murder mystery.
  3. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 2

    I wonder @weinerdog if there may be a connection between Martin's murder and the murder(s) which may already have been committed, or those which are yet to be committed, in Sydney. Is there a serial killer on the loose? Was Rick privy to any of the circumstances of Martin's death or has he been able to find out since he joined the Police Force? Did the police investigate fully or did they lose interest when they learned he was just another "teen fag"? Get those speculative juices percolating, and it may be time to dust off the crystal ball as I assume there will be more than one murder to solve.
  4. I forgot to acknowledge two more wonderful Hugillisms, the first the use of a word I have not encountered, but one which felt just right; the second a phrase I have never heard before, again a delight. "This latter had caused much discussion amongst everyone in our party, though only Peter and I essayed it." "It seemed that the world and his wife had decided to leave Southwold and drive down the coast road". This phrase akin to every man and his dog, which I have heard, and used, on many occasions.
  5. Wow! What a spectacular chapter. A post-mortem of their weekend at Southwold led to a serious discussion of their desire and intent for their relationship between Gray and Matt. They both were pleased to learn their views align, and Matt’s insecurities and uncertainties were aired and for the most part placated. They are on solid ground in their relationship, progressing at a leisurely pace each is comfortable with. Vince’s BIG reveal to Dawn was quite the shock, but what surprised even more so was Vince’s enthusiastic acceptance. Peter holds the key to the private Vince, the part of him which would lay dormant and unnourished if not for Peter. A tremendously moving chapter @Robert Hugill, particularly the heartfelt discussion between Gray and Matt. The tears flowed freely, tears of joy.
  6. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 16

    Neal, the modern day Charlie, but who are/were his Angels, surely not Razi, maybe Paul? Where are Farrah, Jaclyn and Kate when needed? Jaclyn recently celebrated her 80th birthday and she still looks good. The frost in the relationship between Killian and Micah thawed significantly in this chapter, with both making an effort to reach an understanding. This chapter, the calm before the storm @Josh Aterovis. And happy birthday to you. And whilst I like Stevie Wonder's song of the same name, it's this Happy Birthday which I just adore.
  7. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 2

    Helen is an interesting woman. Her concern for Jimmy appears to be motivated by more than just wanting to keep him safe as he is useful, a young rent boy, presumably, who is going to help secure the arrest of a pimp, a pimp with a passion for roughing up his young boys. I believe Helen is a woman not to be messed with, but one who has a big heart. And what of Jimmy. I, like @centexhairysub, sense Jimmy is going to play a bigger role in this story. His bravado hides an unhappy teen, one who has likely had a hard life in recent years. I hope we get to learn more of his history. Joe Benevetti is a relic, a homophobe who thinks he is funny. If Rick shows any sign of weakness, of taking offence to Joe's offensive remarks, the petty man he so obviously is, will continue to taunt Rick with his heteronormative language. "All we picked up was a street kid and took him to a house full of dykes,’ I countered, with a chuckle. ‘Just so long as you didn’t pick up anything from the street kid,’ Adam said." It may have been an off-the-cuff remark, but the text in bold rankled me. Being the "precious princess" I am at times, I took an instant dislike to Adam because of this remark. He may not have meant anything by it, may have used it as humour, but it smacked of moral judgment and a sense of superiority brought on by wealth. Once again @Mark Ponyboy Peters your characters are "leaping off the page", real people, not cardboard cutouts, even if they are not all likeable. Real people with real problems.
  8. Me too, very uneasy. Ethan has not done anything to warrant my mistrust, but it does not matter, I don't trust him. He is in a position of power, one which he could use to manipulate Kris. It won't surprise me if Dean's "date" with Leah is a flop, but one which leads to a friendship between the two, something which I suspect he would benefit greatly from. His generosity to Kris was unexpected and although very "noble", was quite stupid. He may have placed himself in a perilous position as if Terry the turd finds out, Dean may find himself unemployed.
  9. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 67

    "I stared at the statues as I gasped involuntarily. Transfixed by their beauty, the radical sensuality they projected, and the obvious love between them, I was riveted to the floor. They represented a sort of timeless masculine love that I’d never seen before. My heart ached to feel for a man what they so clearly felt for each other. Oh, to love and be loved like that." These thoughts appear more consistent with the less experienced Calvin, the one who was interested in dating and getting to know Jordan. He is perhaps still undecided about what he really wants, is it a relationship with Brady, one which is not constrained by monogamy, or is it a relationship with someone where it is constrained by monogamy. In the meantime he is enjoying himself with a smorgasbord of admirers. The thoughts above brought to mind a song (of course) from an artist not unknown in the USA, but one who is nowhere near as popular there as in her homeland in the UK or here in Australia. The very gifted singer-songwriter Kate Bush, whom I have revered since her very first hit in 1978. This song, taken from her debut album, was a minor hit, one which I have always loved.
  10. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 15

    I think it is high time we had another murder @Josh Aterovis. I nominate Razi as the next victim. He did not even appear in this chapter, and yet he still stirred up ill will by the sheer mention of his name. In revisiting his "generosity" towards Tad, I felt my dislike for him becoming stronger. Judy has seemed a little distracted of late. Either the worry of what Jake is up to is taking its toll on her, or perhaps she knows more about Killian's gift than she is disclosing, and the additional information is disconcerting to say the least. Maybe a little more Novak nookie might help to calm her.
  11. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 14

    No good. Mischief and mayhem. Perhaps he is thinking of taking a "walk on the wild side", or has been gossiping with Declan and is buttering Oliver up with the intention of persuading him to have a little fun.
  12. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 5

    Jason is following the sage advice often given by GP's the world over, and possibly by GA's resident @drsawzall. You have got to keep your fluids up to maintain a healthy body. Jason "drank" a substantial amount of fluids in this chapter, ensuring his digestive system was well lubricated from the end rather than the beginning. Colonic irrigation with a high pressure washer rather than a gentle slow flow.
  13. Given the "action" has shifted from England to Ireland, perhaps I should be referring the world the characters inhabit as the O'Hugillverse rather than the Hugillverse @Robert Hugill. I have never heard of the given name Cathal or of plum bread before @Robert Hugill. Once again you are educating this philistine from the Antipodes. You will never persuade me to enjoy classical music or bleak cold weather though. Russ has certainly surprised with the manner in which he has disclosed very personal information, not only to his family, but to complete strangers. Perhaps the disclosure to Jamie is not so surprising though given Jamie is gay and a stranger. Russ' fondness for Toby appears growing. A most unusual but delightful friendship to witness. Another winner with this one @Robert Hugill.
  14. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 1

    Or perhaps a "murder ballad" courtesy of Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds with guest vocals by Kylie @Mark Ponyboy Peters.
  15. I adore cats as may be guessed from my profile name @J J, so rather than saying 'God help us' or 'God only knows' I substitute Felix for God. It's shorter than saying Sylvester help us.
  16. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 1

    Will there be any of this @Mark Ponyboy Peters? Check out SBE's fabulous emerald green glitter eye shadow. Agnetha's turquoise eye shadow, which was caked on in the video for The Winner Takes It All, pales in comparison.
  17. A snivelling weasel, although he may have some humility unlike Cobwebs who is just a complete c u next Tuesday. As for her son Adrian, a junior c u next Tuesday. I am unsure as to whether he is acting alone or under duress/orders from Cobwebs. I suspect he may be acting alone, he may dislike Cobwebs as much as everyone else, even though they share more than just DNA. Felix help us if their relationship has ever been of the incestuous kind, which would not surprise.
  18. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 15

    Methinks yes @drsawzall. Methinks he is the killer, so yes again @drsawzall.
  19. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 15

    A three-way? A Daddy and two twinks?
  20. Adrian is trash, just like his mother. And didn't Cobwebs get a serve from everyone, except River, at the breakfast table. And no surprises she is in cahoots with Harry, the snivelling weasel. And she has the audacity to refer to River as trash, and denigrate whores who work hard for their money. Hopefully all will bear witness to her fall, and as she falls she will take down Harry and her odious offspring with her. Her complete annihilation will be a joy to observe, at least for this reader @vanalas. Cobwebs remark to Harry “Then it has to,” she said finally, her voice so cold it made him shiver. “Because if it doesn’t… we’ll be bankrupt, and you already know what I’m capable of when I have nothing left to lose.” rang alarm bells for me. I wonder if she was slowly poisoning Elena after Zayn was born, or giving her some kind of drug so she was unable to care for Zayn for a while, thus "necessitating" noble caring Cobwebs having to step in and take care of him, thereby making Leonardo and Elena beholden to her. Her son appears to be quite capable of administering a drug to someone to take advantage of them, maybe he learned this from the best, Mommie Dearest, Cobwebs. "The breakfast continued, but under the laughter and chatter, there was still a lingering heaviness—like a storm that had passed but left the scent of rain behind." It was not the scent of rain left behind, it was the stench of dead mullet, the scent of Cobwebs, her toxicity leaking through all her pores. Putrefying botox.
  21. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 1

    If I was being a real smartarse @CincyKris and I knew her reasonably well I might refer to her as Paul, Linda or Wings because of the song Helen Wheels by Paul McCartney & Wings. I suspect she may be irreverent, mouthy and a shit-stirrer, but also loyal, hard-working and highly principled. I don't think she will take any shit from her male colleagues if they get all hetero-panicky over Rick. I think she will be no pushover, hard-arsed, but a genuine "softie" for those less fortunate than she if they have fallen on hard times. Then again she might be a total bitch, a real c u next Tuesday.
  22. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 1

    Well done lad. We'll make a shirt-lifting Sydney sissy out of you yet, particularly given you have a "cousin" named Primrose. LOL.
  23. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 1

    I assume @Paladin is referring to the "man from Egypt", the politician with strong "Christian" convictions. The one who held vigils on the eve or day of Mardi Gras praying for rain to force the cancellation of the parade and after party. The one who had to watch Tinto Brass' Caligula more than once to brand it "filth". Being the well behaved and reserved rural lad you are you may not be as familiar with the "man from Egypt" as we city dwelling "poofters". In the mid to late 1990's I lived in Darlinghurst not far from "the wall" and had the misfortune of seeing the "man from Egypt" on several occasions when he was pontificating on my eternal damnation. But then you know what happens if one assumes @Mark Ponyboy Peters, don't you?
  24. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 1

    Brilliant speculation @weinerdog. I believe you may well be onto something. Mardi Gras Murders is more sensational, guaranteed to grab the public's attention, something to inflame the passions of the pro- and anti-gay rights lobbies. Something to make currency from.
  25. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 1

    I reckon Martin was probably Rick's high school boyfriend @Paladin. Depending on when the story is set, there may have been little in the way of investigation of the crime if it was known Martin was gay. I don't know what Newcastle is like now, but it was not particularly enlightened in years gone by, but then very few places, including Sydney, were. Just the one @Paladin? Don't limit yourself, dream big. If the one you are thinking of is the one I suspect you may be thinking of, I thought he was already dead. I made the comment once on GA he was dead, it may have even been on one of your stories, only to have my illusion shattered when told he was still alive, it may have even been you who corrected me. He was 91 last month and is apparently still healthy. I have read his children were not happy when he married his second wife after the death of their mother. The second wife is 24 years his junior.
×
×
  • Create New...