-
Posts
8,329 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
Stories
- Stories
- Story Series
- Story Worlds
- Story Collections
- Story Chapters
- Chapter Comments
- Story Reviews
- Story Comments
- Stories Edited
- Stories Beta'd
Blogs
Store
Help Center
Writing
Gallery
Events
Everything posted by Summerabbacat
-
Very observant @CincyKris. I suspect your speculation may be correct.
-
Rob is adorable, a good friend to add to Eric's growing "collection". David Bowie, now there is an English musical genius to admire, almost as good as Kate Bush @northie.
-
Oliver is even more deranged than I thought. Felicity needs to leave him pronto. It would seem he has managed to con some other woman into enjoying his company, although given his "personality" he may have to pay for the privilege. I just hope his alcoholism does not result in him committing vehicular manslaughter; vehicular "suicide" would be more than acceptable though. Perhaps he may suffer a coronary "episode" when he becomes aware the article in Herefordshire Life about the "bloody queers" is about his son. How deliciously ironic, death by Herefordshire Life. Seriously Felicity, if you cannot leave him, take to him with a cricket bat next time he is passed out drunk.
-
It is very unlikely to ever happen, but I don't know if I would have the patience to go through all that is required for a wedding like Andy and Adam's. Andy is extraordinarily patient. The one saving grace is that there is no Bridezilla and neither of the grooms' mothers appear to be Mumzillas.
-
Kate will come a calling @Cane23 and it won't be pretty. Moggie may come a calling too, claws extended and a hiss at the ready.
-
Eric + Rob = romance - definitely not Eric + Rob = genuine friendship for each - a real possibility I wonder if Eric might get Rob to make something special and unique for a wedding gift for Andy and Adam. Perhaps if they are invited together, as friends, it could be a joint gift, therefore making it more economically possible for Eric. Brian has a heart of gold, watching out for Eric as Andy does, not as involved of course, but he cares all the same. And the weather, and it is supposed to be summer. Reminds me of English Summer by Eurythmics from their first album, In The Garden. It is what I am used to, but give me a hot humid Aussie summer anytime. 35°C and 85% + humidity. Bliss.
-
I live in Alexandria, close to the border of it, Mascot and Rosebery, but lived in Ashmore Street in Erko back in 1995/96. It has certainly changed significantly since then.
-
The quotation process, annoying me once again @Darryl62. A very "unforgiving" process if you make an error.
-
Let's hope Peter does not serve burrata with caramelised fennel as a starter. I have to agree with you @CincyKris, except I believe both Peter and Vince would likely be depressed. In their case, it does appear as if the attraction is one in which their minds and social ideals at least, have played a big part.
-
My patience with Felicity is wearing thin. Her rudeness to Emily really pissed me off. I do not understand her reluctance to leave Oliver; she has way more options open to her than what many other women have in a similar situation. Unlike many women who find themselves the victim of domestic violence, Felicity does not "need" to stay with her brute of a husband "for the sake of their children". Their children are grown adults who are financially independent and do not need her protection from their father. She also has the support of at least one of her children, Adam, who would gladly give her refuge and protect her from Oliver if she were to seek his help. There are no apparent cultural or religious pressures on her to stay with Oliver, in fact, I believe she would receive an abundance of support as Oliver appears to be universally disliked. She also should have her own money, unless she signed it all over to Oliver, in which case Adam may know how to address such stupidity on her part. Brilliant @Darryl62. I saw two young guys walking through Redfern Park on Sunday holding hands and it brought a smile to my face, as it always does. I am always at the ready to "mouth off" if any haters give them grief.
-
“Hmm.” Adam frowned. “I can just imagine my father reading it. Or pretending to. In fact–” He sat up straight. “That's as good a reason as any to take up their offer.” How very mature Adam. Not. Love it, just what I would do, although it could backfire on his mother.
-
I think Oliver is the only real bastard in this story, there seems little chance of his redemption and I for one would not waste my energy on him. Tyler is certainly unlikeable and has a real attitude problem, but given his less than stellar home life is it any wonder. There is a chance he may redeem himself if he meets someone who believes he is "worthy" of seeking to improve himself. I believe at this point in time Rob is that man. As for Deborah Turner, I agree with you @northie. She is harmless, however, Bella the bitch may not be. She appears to be a rather unpleasant dog, one I suspect has been indulged way too much and never trained, a bit like Tyler Jackson in that respect. Emily is very clever. I think her invitation to Eric to take a short walk around her gardens may have had several motivations, pleasing Eric and stirring an interest such that he would encourage Andy to take on the job to landscape and repair them.
-
Perhaps Felicity can borrow the mallet from Emily which destroyed his garden, or better still a shovel with which she can bash Oliver over the head, repeatedly, before digging a hole big enough and deep enough to put him in it. His snoring patterns sound as if he might have sleep apnoea, likely caused by his excessive alcohol consumption. Eric and Rob both are somewhat fractious regarding contact with each other. Hopefully Eric will find his balls in the morning and contact Rob. I doubt if either has grand visions of a meeting leading to a sizzling romance or even FWB, but for Eric especially it could be a very rewarding friendship.
-
It is just as well Andy has developed a very thick skin as sometimes Eric's curmudgeonly behaviour is beyond the pale. I do sympathise with Eric's reticence and disbelief that Rob would want to seek him out though as I would think likewise if I were in his shoes. I see a number of Eric's less attractive traits in myself, which is probably why they have annoyed me so at times. I would like to think I am nowhere as curmudgeonly as Eric yet, but then again I am only 61. I am far more impatient than Eric (mainly with myself and machines) and cuss like a sailor, which Eric seemingly does not do, well at least not out loud anyway. You continue to entertain, educate (I don't recall encountering Welsh rarebit before this story, although I may have mistakenly read it as Welsh rabbit), enlighten and sometimes enrage me @northie. A fine writer indeed who can tell a story about someone "invisible" by and large, and breathe life into him and his limited life experiences, particularly when that someone is not young.
-
I doubt Rob will let Tyler get away with anything, and I think he will be a good role model and support for him, certainly one far better than his homophobic loser father. Eric has never pissed me off before, but he did big time in this chapter. His refusal to accept the money raised was rude and selfish. Tommy Standish, who barely knows him, set this all up to assist Eric and Eric refuses outright. Rude much. He needs to stop behaving like a prima donna and get over himself. As Andy pointed out to him, many people have parted with their hard earned cash to support him. For once in his life he needs to put aside his pride, stop his grumbling and be gracious. His usual excuses have worn thin with me. Andy has got his work cut out, but I do think he will be able to convince Eric to accept it.
-
Desperate times and situations call for desperate measures. Graham's desperation to steer Vince "in the right direction" has become even more desperate given Peter's statement he is looking for a new job. Personally, I think Graham's idea to invite Peter around to cook dinner for Vince, whilst not at all romantic, is brilliant as Vince is definitely a homebody. He will get to see what could be, if he would just allow himself to step outside the illusion of perfection he has created and accept that reality could be so much better with a little courage on his part. If Peter becomes part of Vince's life, which will likely delight Freddie, they could become the "perfect family" if Moggie decides to move indoors full-time. I have no doubt Vince will be furious, at least initially, but that fury may turn into something quite different by the end of the evening. And what of the delightful Matt? Perhaps Vince will return the "favour" and do a little match-making of his own. He seemed to get along very with Matt when they met and commented so to Graham. Perhaps an invitation to Matt to visit Philpott Towers may be extended by Vince, an invitation where Vince and Freddie will be conveniently absent. For some reason the word lovely grates on me and have baulked at using it to ever describe your work @Robert Hugill, but on this occasion it suits perfectly. No Kate Bush "inspirations", but a Spandau Ballet inspiration early in the piece. One of the earliest hits from the "New Romantics" era, a song I don't think they ever topped. And their outfits, hilarious.
-
What a brilliant question @ReaderPaul. If it does, then consumption by hungry animals would help reduce the spread of disease.
-
Emily and Nigel Standish should be very proud of themselves as should their son Tommy Standish. Emily and Nigel have obviously instilled in Tommy a sense of caring for those less fortunate than he, and Tommy has in turn moved swiftly to demonstrate what his parents have taught him. I also believe Emily is correct in that Tommy should be very transparent about how much is raised and donated to Eric. Eric will be overwhelmed, hopefully he will accept the money raised in a gracious manner, although this may be a little too much to expect. He will undoubtedly be moved and pleased, but I am sure there will have to be a little grumbling on his part. "Surely at least one of those would be for a takeaway of some kind? He found a gaudy sheet promising swift deliveries of pizza. Equipped with reading glasses, Eric sat at the desk and studied the options. Writing down his choices, he picked up the phone, dialled, and took a deep breath." Another huge step forward for Eric.
-
The only thing I can see improving life for Tyler would be removal from his mother's "care". She has undoubtedly had a hard life, but to Tyler at least she is a lousy mother. And his affection and respect for his father is completely misguided. The man is a homophobe who beats him and is a total loser. Eric's sense of humour is quite surprising at times: “And the jungle of a garden. That reminds me–” Eric lodged the phone in the gap between shoulder and ear while he scrabbled around, trying to find the woman's details. He remembered the notebook. “Hold on a second.” Putting the receiver down, he went in search. He settled down again. “I recommended you.” One finger flicked through the notebook's pages. To her? “Yes.” The search continued. As a garden consultant? Wow. Suppose there's a first time for everything. Mock surprise made Eric's lip curl. “Don't jump the gun. I could've mentioned your usefulness as a window cleaner.” Emily's "what the heck", such a polite way of saying 'what the fuck", which is what a potty mouth like me would have said. Another excellent chapter @northie. Tyler's attack on Eric infuriated me, but it was really aimed at his mother. Vicky Pollard sprung to mind listening to his mother's rant.
-
"Oliver, as head of the household, would examine every detail of her Saturday morning shopping trip on her return. The chances of tripping up in her account would be vastly increased if she were late. She picked at a thumb cuticle." Has Felicity tolerated this behaviour from Oliver from the very start of their marriage? Has he always been this controlling? I would hesitate a guess and say yes, adding that the physical abuse has likely only started since Adam and his sister left home. I have to wonder if the violence has increased as a result of Adam coming out as gay as clearly this is a threat to Oliver's masculinity. He probably blames Felicity for having "babied him" or some such other nonsense. I believe Emily will be a good friend to Felicity, particularly if she learns of Oliver's behaviour. Emily strikes me as being pragmatic and determined. I cannot imagine she will stand by and do nothing, and it may be easier for Felicity to take advice from an outsider than her own son, after all Oliver is his father no matter how much Adam may despise him. Emily proved herself to be a kindly neighbour to Eric too, charming him with her genuineness, and without being intrusive like Deborah Turner (and she does not have the dreaded Bella yapping beside her either). Her care will likely be needed at some point in time, and she is much closer by than Andy and Adam. Book 3 is proving to be the equal of 1 and 2 @northie. A trilogy of top notch writing.
-
I also believe Marie-Louise is scared and too proud to admit it. This does not however, make her any less obnoxious. George is proving to be very resourceful with sensible plans for the day(s) ahead. He sounds the right man for the top job NOW @Lee Wilson. Lionel is the one for whom I feel the greatest sorrow. If George was not with him he would have no idea what to do and would likely die sooner rather than later. Given his shortness of breath I have to wonder if the gas produced has killed all his cancer cells yet or if it is still "active" and doing so.
-
Venetia & Charles cordially invite…
Summerabbacat commented on Robert Hugill's story chapter in Venetia & Charles cordially invite…
I don't think I have ever encountered anyone allergic to cheese in my life. Your experience reminds me of a man I used to work with before he retired 11 years ago. He came to Australia from Birmingham in 1973 as a 13 year old with two brothers, a mother and a father who had been in the navy. He ended up as an adult marrying the only child of a an Italian couple. She, his wife, was a few years older than him. Both were what one would classify as "fuller figured", but they had such a wonderful relationship. The point of my posting is that she loved Italian food and was very good at cooking it. He hated garlic and tomatoes. -
Wow! That is profound @Paladin. I also believe Bayview is going to play a significant role in the reunification of Tony and Aaron, once the "wall of Berlin" has collapsed. I am intrigued by the fact the house appears to be vacant. Was it purchased and renovated by someone who passed away before taking up residence, or by a couple who have since become embroiled in an ugly and messy divorce, or by someone who defaulted on the mortgage and the bank foreclosed? The latter seems unlikely otherwise it would be listed for sale, although given its secluded location and likely value, a bank may not want to invite undesirable attention by having a for sale sign at the front of the property. It appears to have piqued Tony's interest sufficiently though for him to make enquiries, or perhaps he will ask Harry to make some discreet enquiries on his behalf. I agree with all my fellow readers who commented on the ingenuity of Scott and Matt's plan to at least get Tony and Aaron talking again. The initial signs are good with Tony noting the corners of Aaron's mouth turning up into a smile, the playful banter between the two, and Tony's final admission. A delightful chapter @Mark Ponyboy Peters. Financial wealth alludes you, but I imagine you are wealthy in other ways (howzat for one of those really annoying platitudes idiots make to try and console you?).
-
He is a "straight" man "trapped" in a gay man's body and enjoying every moment of it @VBlew. Jordan's e-mail to Calvin left little doubt in my mind that he would like to be more than friends with Calvin. How this will unfold, only @KKirk knows. An intriguing chapter @KKirk, particularly Calvin's observation that his father and Alan were trying to out charm each other.
-
Throughout the reading of this chapter I kept hearing Video Killed The Radio Star by The Buggles playing on loop in my head. I don't know if you remember it @northie. It was a # 1 hit in the UK at the end of 1979 and even bigger here in Australia, a #1 hit for 7 weeks at the end of the 1979 beginning of 1980. The derogatory letters sent to Eric and similar comments made online when Andy and Adam announced their engagement were to be expected. Some people, motived by whatever moral compass they are guided by, believe it is their right to know and police what other people do in the privacy of their own home. Emily Standish has already shown what a good neighbour she is going to be for Eric. Her concern was for his welfare not his sexuality, when she thought the hooligans may have harmed him.
