Jump to content

Summerabbacat

Members
  • Posts

    8,281
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Summerabbacat

  1. Robert usually mentions if the town or location is fictitious, but also invariably mentions it is inspired by a real-life town or location. His stories are often quite educational too, with a liberal sprinkling of Hugillisms, which are most often region-specific colloquialisms or sayings from yesteryear. Robert also has a wry sense of humour and some delightful ways to euphemistically describe characters, places or objects which are less than attractive.
  2. None of the characters from No Going Back appear in any of the Parborough Chronicles, of which Brian: Taking Courage is the first in the series. You don't therefore "need" to read it as it is a completely separate story, but if you are enjoying this story, I recommend you read any and/or all of @Robert Hugill's stories as all are an enjoyable read. I think you will find he has quite a few Hugillites (fans) who have enjoyed, and continue to enjoy and comment, on all his stories, all of which are set in the Hugillverse (mostly northern England if I am not mistaken, although in a more recently published one, Russ takes a trip to Ireland).
  3. They are characters in No Going Back, @Robert Hugill's second story published on GA. The two stories were being published concurrently for some time.
  4. Another profoundly moving and very believable chapter @ChromedOutCortex, but I have to ask, who is Maria? Is she Kevin's sister or Liam's sister or a friend of both? I revisited chapters 1 and 2, but she was not mentioned in either. Whoever she is, she was a tremendous help to Liam for some time offering words of comfort and encouragement rather than trite platitudes. I assume she lives close by as she continued to visit.
  5. Summerabbacat

    Open Day

    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" is attributed to Mark Twain according to Google @kajean. My favourite quote attributed to him is “If a man could be crossed with a cat it would improve man but it would deteriorate the cat.”, and I am rather amused by "Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself."
  6. Ethan - safe and predictable; Dean - rough and unpredictable, but exciting. Learning to Stay - who is it that is learning to stay or is it more than one person? Is "stay" a location or a state of mind? You have certainly mastered intrigue @ChromedOutCortex, but not in a brash or grandiose manner. There have been no violent murders or other crimes committed, no political shenanigans or the airing of their dirty laundry by well known persons in the public arena, which is what one commonly thinks of as intriguing. This is small-scale intrigue, intrigue in the day-to-day lives of ordinary people, which to some extent I think, makes it even more intriguing.
  7. Summerabbacat

    Open Day

    That is certainly possible @drsawzall. Tom worked in a high-powered job in "financial services". Perhaps he invested heavily in some high risk investments and lost equally heavily. This would explain his plea to Louis he be allowed to project manage the upgrade of the "outhouses" in lieu of paying rent, which struck me as very odd if he had been as successful as Louis believed. It could also explain his gaunt appearance and his comment about Ian suffering from depression, something I daresay he might be suffering from himself. Between your comments and those of @pvtguy, I think the "mystery" about Tom's appearance and reason for an extended visit may have been resolved, although @Robert Hugill may still have a little surprise or two up his sleeve.
  8. Summerabbacat

    Open Day

    Aunt Daphne made quite an impression on Louis and it was not a positive one. It appeared she was a distant relative of Rumpole’s wife, she who must be obeyed. She was all knowing and very displeased Louis did not kiss her arse. After a horrid day of superior mammas and their spawn of pestilence, the last thing he needed was another battle-axe with an overinflated ego. We learned the truth, or at least something closer to the truth from Tom regarding the reason for, and the intended length of, his visit. Excellent chapter @Robert Hugill. I can totally relate to Louis.
  9. Triplets! I had the same thought regarding Casey @Philippe. Tom is clearly relishing a second chance at "fatherhood". I won't be at all surprised if he and Beth formalise their caring for Jimmy and Shane before the story's end. "What did you tell them?’ ‘To fuck off! What else would you think I’d tell them?’ she laughed. " A welcome moment of comic relief, with Helen leaving no doubt in the minds of Azzopardi and Ryan what she thinks of them. They are either incredibly stupid to ask such questions, or incredibly brazen, believing themselves to be untouchable because they are protected by the "big wigs". I have little doubt said big wigs would not bat an eyelid if either one or both has their services "terminated" because they become a liability to whomever they are working for and protecting. The "real" Police Academy is at Goulburn in NSW @weinerdog, a town between Sydney and Canberra. I assume @Mark Ponyboy Peters had Rick in training there as all the places mentioned in this story have been real. Riveting @Mark Ponyboy Peters.
  10. My original comment was "Stevie exclusive" @Paqman, but in the spirit of @weinerdog's comment, I responded with "perfect" songs from the Songbird and one from Trouble. The few times I have seen Christine interviewed she always presented as humble and gracious, unlike her American colleagues. I personally think Christine was very underrated, overshadowed by Stevie's "wild child" persona and Lindsay's reported production expertise.
  11. The combination of love/lust and a good old fashioned shooting has done wonders for Stephen's confidence. Whilst I do not usually advocate gun violence, in the case of Leon and Stephen's Uncle Mark, shooting him was the only thing which was likely to stop him raping and probably killing Leon. Although it was traumatic for Stephen to have shot him, it has perhaps strengthened his resolve to not cower to those who insult him by calling him a freak, and who insult both Michael and himself with homophobic taunts. If Max is not the intended bully, then it only leaves Paul, Tim, Ellis or Jim as the candidate for tosser extraordinaire, unless Dennis does an about face, which appears unlikely, but then anything can happen in Wilsonlandia. Perhaps it might be Tim, motivated by jealousy. .
  12. Oh you Sugar Daddy, seducing everyone Everywhere with your Brown Eyes and your Warm Ways. Always quick with a Say You Love Me or Isn't It Midnight, I am told You Make Loving Fun because you wrote the Book Of Love.
  13. Another fine instalment in the Killian Kendall series. Killian's little quirks come to the fore again, quirks which he is lucky have not resulted in his own death, or at least serious injury. The motivation for his occasional, some may say more frequent than occasional, lapses of sound judgment, is almost always his desire for justice, particularly if there is an underdog amongst the "cast" and they are being mistreated or unfairly treated. There are the usual school of red herrings that one @Josh Aterovis, the Baltimore bamboozler, encourages to swim in the Maryland maelstrom. Sit back, speculate and enjoy another trip into the world of Aterovisian wonders.
      • 1
      • Like
  14. I was not at all surprised Marcus had figured out Dean was gay, but I was somewhat surprised by the depth of his emotions and his capacity and willingness to articulate them. Seemingly, he has far less in common with their odious father than what Dean does. I also did not realise Marcus raised Dean from his teenage years into adulthood. I assumed Dean had become an adult before their father died, however, this is apparently not the case. Dean is very fortunate to have had such a brother. The quandary Kris now finds himself in is not one to be envied. He has gone from having little joy in his life, apart from his mother, to a potential significant increase in his income AND someone who has professed their love for him. The poor lad is now spoilt for choices.
  15. I daresay you may have been on the Edge Of Seventeen when you first encountered this goddess @Gary L. Dressed in your Leather And Lace, a youthful British dandy, a Gypsy, going to your first Fleetwood Mac concert in Birmingham (?), accompanied by your best friends, your Sisters Of The Moon, Sara, Rhiannon and Angel. Did you Stand Back in awe as this Gold Dust Woman, this Bella Donna, this Beautiful Child, exposed you to the Seven Wonders with her vocal prowess? Did you succumb to a Landslide of emotions, bedazzled by the Beauty And The Beast, Enchanted by Stephanie Lynn?
  16. I was thinking the same thing @Philippe. I kept "willing" Rick to forget about the sliding wardrobe door and under the curtains, and check the open page of the school yearbook instead, which Martin may have conveniently blown open to reveal the killer, or at least someone with a connection to the killer. "Well, we all know that you and your sister didn’t get on too well, but maybe it’s time the pair of you thought about burying the hatchet?’ she suggested." I agree Beth, in her back. I am not a forgiving person (least of all of myself) so am the worst person to offer a comment, but I would not be in a hurry to "forgive and forget" Stacey's contempt for Rick and Martin n the past. I suppose if Rick wants to have a relationship with his nephew I can understand him extending the olive branch, but if she makes one false move again, I suggest he erase her from is life for good. " ....... watching the sun dipping low, washing the sky with a colourful sunset and bathing the evening in an ethereal golden glow". What stunning imagery @Mark Ponyboy Peters, I can relate to it well. Rick may have "incorporated" Mr X into his dream as Martin's killer because he mentioned him in conversation with Beth and Tom before retiring for the evening, but equally it may be a message from "beyond the grave" from Martin. Whatever, it made for a vivid and riveting moment in this chapter @Mark Ponyboy Peters. I wonder if he is someone Jimmy and/or Shane has serviced before, and I wonder if he has a connection to AC Barrett. I sense his penchant for dressing as The Headmaster may just be the tip of the iceberg. Stevie Nicks featured heavily in this chapter @Mark Ponyboy Peters, her "ethereal" vocals the perfect musical accompaniment for Rick's Dreams.
  17. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 18

    I read my comment again and noticed I had referred to Joshua as she instead of he @Paladin. I could blame auto-correct, but on this occasion that is too hard to believe. Instead I will blame Frida who insists on pressing herself against my laptop such that I have to put my arms up in the air slightly so as not to "disturb" her. I have already been glared at a number of times this evening for daring to "crowd" her. It is much cooler tonight so she is wanting the warmth of the laptop to warm her fur.
  18. This chapter had me in tears too, the saddest chapter yet. At times I thought Adam realised Jamie was dead, and then he said something to make me wonder if he thinks he is still alive.
  19. I am back to not understanding anything @CincyKris. What is reality and what is not? What is a dream and what is not? I feel like I have entered the Twilight Zone or Bobby Ewing's shower.
  20. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 18

    I remembered Joshua mentioning the call he made, which is why I felt vindicated to call her a bitch, nasty cow etc. I work with them every day, which has only increased my "colourful" language. I have never known any group of people to swear so much, so I have fitted in beautifully.
  21. A tisket a tasket. It was the mention of Ella's little yellow basket that got you all verklempt wasn't it?
  22. If I had been certain it was an error I would have sent you a private message. I have heard some people refer to "high" Anglicans as Catholic before so thought it might have been correct.
  23. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 18

    Ooh I do like the way your suspicious mind and that of fellow reader @pvtguy works @CincyKris. I will be particularly pleased if Uncle Phil has been financing Maddy's life and she has to payback money he has given her. Nasty cow. The solicitors who have been administering the trust funds for Madison, Daniel and Joshua should also be in deep shit. I wonder if they have any "affiliation" with Uncle Phil, if they have perhaps been viewing the porn he has produced.
  24. Summerabbacat

    Ian & Tom

    Given his questions about Uncle Vernon's time in the Middle East and his job I wondered if he might recognise it too @drsawzall.
  25. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 18

    OMG @Ticklishboy30, you always post the most beautiful animal gifs. So much more appealing than human gifs.
×
×
  • Create New...