Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 238 Words
  • 883 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

My Twentieth Year - 14. VCR

Poem No. 33

 

The Materialist's Love Song

 

Prelude:

 

Sweet sound of the VCR –

click

rurrrrup

and then a steady purr

 

From the hollow within

come visions

created by

workmen unseen

 

I come to the VCR

when days are dark

for I know that joy is never far

from my friend who doesn’t smell or bark

 

Happy days from the VCR –

click

and then a steady purr

all this, and I never have to call it sir.

 

 

Poem:

 

Things give pleasure, how can I deny?

Money gives power, as great as the sky.

And what's the price? Oh, not much –

Well, there's no lice or stuff such –

All you have to do, my wondering dear,

Is give up your chance to know why we respire here.

 

So, you want to have? Well, have it all.

Most simply done; ignore your conscience-call,

Life can be a daze of contentment,

So forget the maze of fulfillment.

I say forsake all; live for the gain of money.

What else can matter as long as the days are sunny.

 

 

Postlude:

 

Pleasure marked on a physical basis

can be no more than painted faces.

Happiness doesn’t lie on a dollar bill

unless it's used on the poor as a pill.

Then happiness will come to both

the Christ and the giver of hope.

Copyright © 2017 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Nice
Sucked into agreement by Prelude
Brought into realization by Poem
Shamed into confession by Postlude

 

My only question, AC, is were these three written as a triplet in your twentieth year, or assembled later?

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Tv/vcr gives us junk food and nutrition, for our minds.

 

When my mum died, I didn't want her things, I searched for her handwriting, I learned then money, wealth, stuff doesn't matter, nothing does but us. Money will never make us happy.

 

Your poems are lessons.

 

Only we can find the light, the universe inside ourselves, our soul I guess, because that's all that's important, it's all that means anything. That and sharing that light with others.

 

So that's what I thought of when I read this, AC,

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/08/2016 12:07 PM, skinnydragon said:

Nice

Sucked into agreement by Prelude

Brought into realization by Poem

Shamed into confession by Postlude

 

My only question, AC, is were these three written as a triplet in your twentieth year, or assembled later?

Thanks for the awesome review, skinnydragon! Your breakdown of the function of the three parts here floors me. I didn't bother to consider it in quite the way you state, but it seems very true.

 

Any editing I have done to these poems for posting has been very minor. I would not group them together, and in fact are presenting them sequentially. The best hope for context is achieved by doing that.

 

As for some poems having preludes/postludes, I thought that was something I started to do in H.S., but since those poems have already been posted here, I checked and it's not the case. The first one is No. 13 in this collection, written shortly after I turned 20. Had I known music better I might have use 'Entrada,' which sounds more exotic doesn't it ;)

 

But seriously, most if not all of the multipart poems were written as a single effort. One part leading into the next.

 

Thanks again.

Link to comment
On 04/08/2016 01:08 PM, Mikiesboy said:

Tv/vcr gives us junk food and nutrition, for our minds.

 

When my mum died, I didn't want her things, I searched for her handwriting, I learned then money, wealth, stuff doesn't matter, nothing does but us. Money will never make us happy.

 

Your poems are lessons.

 

Only we can find the light, the universe inside ourselves, our soul I guess, because that's all that's important, it's all that means anything. That and sharing that light with others.

 

So that's what I thought of when I read this, AC,

Such a beautiful review. Thank you, Tim. Yes, I can see you wanted your mother's handwriting, not her possessions. To be honest, a heartfelt review like yours makes me be less critical of this poem. I see its flaws and shortcoming, but I need to look beyond those and see that it can reach folks.

 

Thank you for that gift. Cheers.

Link to comment

I fear the VCR; I never have to call it sir but it can command my attention and time just the same; the Poem had me nodding in agreement; and the postlude made me wonder if I can ever live up to being the Christ your words describe.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/09/2016 07:51 AM, Parker Owens said:

I fear the VCR; I never have to call it sir but it can command my attention and time just the same; the Poem had me nodding in agreement; and the postlude made me wonder if I can ever live up to being the Christ your words describe.

Thank you, Parker. I was quite self-conscious posting this one, as VCR's are antiquated, but still folks (including me) live by DVR's, so I suppose the intent of the Prelude can still come across.

 

The Christ theme is a very important one; I was in the process then of sorting out my Catholic upbringing (with its lies insisting I hate myself for the simple inborn trait of whom I loved) against the pure and unsullied message of Jesus. In some ways, the process continues in me even today.

 

As always, thank you friend for your support and understanding.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..