Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 231 Words
  • 165 Views
  • 2 Comments
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

rima fragmenta, Fragments of a Rift: Fifty Sonnets for Kevin - 20. you think I could forget

.

Sonnet No. 39

 

In his stately pleasure dome, Coleridge said,

Kublai Khan lacked for nothing – even boys –

To distract the keen omnipresent dread

That everything he must love, he destroys.

So in our drifting puffs, a cloud is there

To obscure the ground upon which we walk,

Grasping with blind hands for what we most care,

When all the words have turned to merely talk.

But, my mind, the big tent of our pleasure,

Floats above intermittent THC

To elevate our seeking together

For the deathless bonds of fraternity.

Like a poet’s high, all I need’s belief

For cares and concerns to poof in relief.

 

 

Sonnet No. 40

 

It’s hard to tell if anything was good

When viewed through the curtain of my tears,

Wondering if this therapy ever could

Negate the hurt of these past several years.

Do you think I could forget that last glimpse

Of you come back to my door to accuse? –

No, for to do so would make us both wimps,

And in the balance, it’s Love who would lose.

So, even though your eyes were brimmed with scorn,

I’ll now remember it by forgetting

How you left me cold that bright sunny morn

To contemplate my penance of accepting.

For ridicule deserves none of the same

If it reduces feelings to a game.

 

_

Copyright © 2022 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I must thank you for sharing these intimate poetic sonnets. Number 39 pierces more than clouds of smoke, letting the reader see into your own feelings and thoughts as you ponder stronger bonds than the physical. But in  Number 40, you remember, and force us to see, the pain you experienced and the hurt inflicted upon you by the beloved. You’re right that fleeing such a memory makes you seem a weak  shadow. My heart goes out to you in these. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Parker Owens said:

I must thank you for sharing these intimate poetic sonnets. Number 39 pierces more than clouds of smoke, letting the reader see into your own feelings and thoughts as you ponder stronger bonds than the physical. But in  Number 40, you remember, and force us to see, the pain you experienced and the hurt inflicted upon you by the beloved. You’re right that fleeing such a memory makes you seem a weak  shadow. My heart goes out to you in these. 

Thank you, my friend. Perhaps sometime you can come back to read No. 39 on its own. The posting of these two poems together is somewhat arbitrary, although written in the order presented. Hopefully No. 39 can offer a smile or two on some cloudy day in the future when you revisit it :)

 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..