Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 230 Words
  • 179 Views
  • 2 Comments
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

rima fragmenta, Fragments of a Rift: Fifty Sonnets for Kevin - 21. the night sky’s beauty

.

Sonnet No. 41

 

The master phrased it best, that the North Star

Is ever-fixed while armillary rings

Protract points of light to horizons far,

Etching harmony amidst the superstrings.

My love is like Polaris, unbending;

Though the position of your heart has changed,

Mine’s steadfast with no mind of pretending

What we two most enjoy’s not preordained.

So let others around this love revolve

To admire the night sky’s beauty here,

For even heavenly bodies evolve

Once a more-perfect model is made clear.

Although the celestial circus is slow,

Rapid burns the fires for all who know.

 

 

Sonnet No. 42

 

Of the many comforts we enjoy, the times

We’ve snuggled to rest beneath the moonlight

Now prod my napping talent for the rhymes

Worthy of the sweetness of our “good night.”

Yet, the crush of my inadequacies

Upon all such surges of the life force

– Which others tap with nar’ a hint of unease –

Drive my efforts to dream a hopeless recourse.

How I’d like to sketch out here the ideal

Of your muscled strength in my grasping hold,

While we mount the higher passions which reveal . . .

But alas, perhaps my soul is not so bold.

These attempts spur me on and on to sing,

Abed in both the joy and pain they bring.

 

_

Copyright © 2022 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 3
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I love the metaphor of the constellations circling the North Star found in Number 41. Here, the center is truly unmoved. Everyone bows and must acknowledge the love which lives at the center. 

In 42, I hear more echoes in the night.  Yet these are not stars, the voices of lovers in the moonlight. This one paints vivid pictures in my mind. 

 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Parker Owens said:

I love the metaphor of the constellations circling the North Star found in Number 41. Here, the center is truly unmoved. Everyone bows and must acknowledge the love which lives at the center. 

In 42, I hear more echoes in the night.  Yet these are not stars, the voices of lovers in the moonlight. This one paints vivid pictures in my mind. 

 

Thank you, Parker. The Kevin Sonnet No. 41 pays tribute to Shakespeare's W.H. Sonnet No. 116 "...it [Love] is the star to every wandering barque..."  

No. 42 above is a poem about inadequacies, so it's touching to me if the Sonnet paints vivid pictures across your mind's eyes :)

Thank you, as always, dear friend, for your kind words and support

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..