Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Life in the dark future is hard, and conflict is constant between the empowered and the power hungry.

The Mantis Variant - Book One - 15. Chapter 15 - Hunters

The hunters are sent out on another mission.

Talin stepped up in front of his superiors, lowered down to one knee, and bowed his head. The huge desk behind which they all sat loomed over him.

"Did you get the gland?" one of them asked.

Talin held up a small jar, and other leaders began speaking.

"Call the grand hierophant!"

"Bring the next group of unborn!"

"Gather the ingredients for the spell!"

"What do you suppose the next generation will be granted?"

One of the attendants took the jar from Talin. He rose and stepped to the side of the chamber with the other members of his crew. None of them said a word.

Their base of operations was in a huge old warehouse at the edge of the industrial district. Its interior was cordoned off into several separate sections. Within the leadership area, the desk was the primary focus, and a faded Oselian rug stretched out on the ground before it. At the opposite end of the warehouse, the chapel of Demifae stood empty, but soon it would be full.

One of the women leaders stood and leaned forward with her palms on the desk. "Our hunts have become more successful of late, and we propose ordering out several groups, at once. What say you?" she asked those gathered, and she received resounding Ayes!

"Talin," she continued, turning to the man, "are you and your crew in need of a rest, or can we expect you to move on to your next target." Her words were not a question.

"No, milady," he replied, "my squad don't need a rest, and we can push the timetable up to whenever you command."

"Very good," his leader responded. She then added with a scowl, "I still hate your team's fucking name." She gave orders to a few other crew leaders, and then the meeting was adjourned.

Talin and his team headed to their quarters in the rundown Oselian barracks. He slammed their door closed.

"That old toad!" he raged. "She's never satisfied, and she'll never be. We are down a crewmember, and not a word of mention was given for him, only if we are too tired for another hunt. A hunt, might I add, which is not properly planned! All of us lost one of our own, a Demifae, and they didn't acknowledge him."

"Fuck her," Claw Two added.

"And furthermore," Talin spat, "we should be at the spell-casting with the gland we procured!"

"Let's just fucking get this over with," Claw Four stated. "Our next Shift's routine isn't hammered down yet," he continued, "and Claw Three did some of the surveillance, so any insights were taken by him to the grave."

"What do we know?" Talin asked him.

"This particular Shift can manifest or summon some sort of entities," Claw Four told the others. "We have not determined the full extent of their powers, but Claw Three informed me that he was confident there would be nothing out of the ordinary when it was time for the next hunt."

"Fine!" snapped Talin. "Gear up, and let's find this Shift. We don't know where it will be or how soon we'll be able to corner it and take it out." He growled to himself, "So fucking unprepared."

Talin's own elevation to Demifae was a mere four years prior, but he soon ascended the ranks of hunters and was given command of his own pack. The spell that was cast over the group in which Talin was a member gained him the gift of further-vision. He hoped for something more active or aggressive; super-sight was not high on his list of desired powers.

Claw Two could generate venom like a snake. Claw Four was a regenerator. Even Claws One and Three possessed different versions of an ability that allowed them to suck the lifeforce from their enemies. Similar to their leader, Claws Five and Six both were gifted with a heightened sense, but they each gained ultra-hearing from the spells that elevated them above humans. Claw Seven's enhancement was the most like Talin's, but instead of seeing far, it was the ability to see at night.

The loss of Claw Three was a major blow to Talin's Talons.

"Before we head back out, we remember our fallen soldier," Talon declared to the others

He poured seven shots of whistlewhiskey, and they each knocked them back. The group shared a quiet moment before anyone spoke again, and it was their leader's voice that broke the silence.

"There was a book," Talon began to say, and he was interrupted.

"Here we go again," commented Claw Six with a smirk.

"Every time," added Claw One.

"He can't help himself," said Claw Seven.

"Has he even read it?" asked Claw Two to the others with a chuckle.

Claws Four and Five remained silent.

"There was a book," Talon repeated over his crew's sarcasm, "that described the act of hunting those such as us, or us, as we used to be. But now we, fellow hunters, we hunt something far more deadly, far more elusive and vicious than mere humans. We are hunting demons, devils in a world where they don't belong."

"Death to all monsters!" declared Claw Five.

"We hunt to stop the spread," Talin continued. "We hunt to raise humanity. We hunt the enemies of life."

"Death to all monsters!" all the Claws proclaimed in unison.

Talin concluded, "We are monster hunters!"

Will they find their prey?
Copyright © 2022 Adam Andrews Johnson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Wow 2
  • Sad 3
This is my first book, so I thank you from the bottom of my being for taking the time to read it! Please, keep reading and leave feedback :-)
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

This Hunter group operates as much like a cult as the Messiahs do. The perfidy is cloaked in stylized ritual. The big difference between them is the power taken from the gland doesn't go to one individual. Like all hate groups, they dehumanize their target group, the Shifts.

To see the real monsters here they need no special powers, only a mirror.

  • Love 5
Link to comment

Talin cares about his people, more than his leaders do.  It makes him sympathetic but his hate for those that he views as monsters renders that moot.  If he could be shown that they are not monsters; would he like Agrell turn on his leaders?

  • Love 4
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, drpaladin said:

This Hunter group operates as much like a cult as the Messiahs do. The perfidy is cloaked in stylized ritual. The big difference between them is the power taken from the gland doesn't go to one individual. Like all hate groups, they dehumanize their target group, the Shifts.

To see the real monsters here they need no special powers, only a mirror.

Can't say it any better, what we have here, is a world filled with hate and haters...

  • Love 5
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..