Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Life in the dark future is hard, and conflict is constant between the empowered and the power hungry.

The Mantis Variant - Book One - 18. Chapter 18 - Massacre

The hunters find their next prey, and three is an absolute slaughter.

"I can hear the cosmic music from the radiation of the universe." A woman was speaking and her voice echoed from multiple locations along the alley where she was cornered. "I can taste the elements that burn in the stars." She sounded like a goddess. "I see the world; I can see eons. I look into distant corners of alien galaxies." There was wrath in her words, and they reverberated against the old concrete walls.

Black discs of shadow hovered in the air like holes punched in reality, voids in the atmosphere. From them protruded headless skeletal torsos of smoke that were armed with weapons made out of darkness.

The apparitions impaled with spears, slashed with swords, and crushed with clubs and maces. Human flesh was severed and pierced by the void warriors, and the cries of the dying rang out through the nearby streets of Teshon City. Bodies were broken, limbs were lost, and skulls were smashed by the shadow weapons.

Any survivors of the massacre who tried to drag themselves away from the chaos were nailed to the pavement by massive pikes of smoke. All who entered that alleyway were utterly ruined, butchered by headless enemies against whom they were powerless.

From his position of observation, Talin helplessly watched the evisceration of his underprepared team. The individual they were supposed to be hunting slaughtered them all, and Talin cursed his gift, giving him a perfect view of the devastation that befell his crew.

Claw One was decapitated.

Claw Two's arms were both lopped off above the elbows. She fell to the pavement, writhing and screaming for a moment, but she was skewered where she lay.

Claw Four was smashed and slashed, and he turned to flee for the mouth of the alley but was hamstrung and crashed to the street. He roared in agony.

The horrible weapons of darkness cleaved Claws Five, Six, and Seven and their bodies fell mangled to the grimy gutter.

Claw Four was still wailing from the pavement and trying to crawl away, as the woman who was supposed to be their prey stepped up and stood over him.

"Where are the others?" she asked him in a voice that came from all around.

She did not wait for his reply. Another shadow hole opened and a headless torsos rose from it. A massive battle-axe was gripped in the apparition's bony fingers. It swung the weapon over where its head would have been, and brought the blade down on the man's ankles like a guillotine.

Claw Four screamed like a lobster being boiled, as his feet were removed from his ankles.

The woman asked again. "Where are they?"

"Fuck you!" he spat, and without hesitation, her darkness monster made another terrible cut with its axe. Claw Four shrieked, as both his legs were chopped through the femurs above his knees.

"Who's out there?" she snarled above him.

"Talin!" Claw Four bawled and reached forward.

Damnit, thought Talin.

"Who is that? Where is he?" She repeated herself with a snarl. "Where is he?!"

The shadow torso struck again with its axe, sinking through the meat and bone of Claw Four's shoulder. The slice took off his arm.

He whimpered and pointed up at the rooftop only a few blocks away where Talin was perched.

She looked up and saw the man's shocked face staring back at her, and the battle-axe of shadow fell like an avalanche on Claw Four’s neck. His head rolled away.

Talin's enhancement allowed him to see every detail about her, including the expression of righteous malevolence that was scrawled across her face.

In a flash of darkness, another disc appeared in the air beside Talin, and one of her creatures thrust its spear through his heart. His eyes bulged and he gasped, as the headless apparition disappeared, and Talin fell from the rooftop and landed in a crumpled mess on the pavement

And now, back to Agrell and Lahari...
Copyright © 2022 Adam Andrews Johnson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 6
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
  • Angry 1
This is my first book, so I thank you from the bottom of my being for taking the time to read it! Please, keep reading and leave feedback :-)
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

So much for Shifts merely being prey to become overwhelmed by numbers. This Shift had powers which challenged all the natural laws. The Hunters, even as Demifae, are helpless against her. I hope she's not the spirit of wrathful vengeance all the time, but good riddance to those Hunters.

  • Love 4
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

Wow--every hunter on a team was killed brutally and they died in agony. Even the distant observer of the team was found and killed. The shift who was the target in an alleyway turned out to be too powerful and vengeful with unexpected serious powers.

Good riddance of the hunters. But there are other teams of hunters actively targeting shifts who are still in danger. Our heroes are not safe and are unaware of the high intensity of the search with intent to kill by the hunters

  • Love 4
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Too bad she didn't ask where headquarters was at. Now that would have been a real massacre.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

Bout frigging time, when will all the others realize that the Shifts may simply live their lives in peace...

Let's not forget the Hunters brought all of this upon themselves as the same applies to the Messiah's...

  • Love 5
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
6 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

Bout frigging time, when will all the others realize that the Shifts may simply live their lives in peace...

Let's not forget the Hunters brought all of this upon themselves as the same applies to the Messiah's...

But for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. So, what happens next? I know what my reaction would be. Hit back hard.

Edited by drpaladin
  • Love 4
Link to comment

How horrible; had no good feelings about the hunters but Talin seemed like he might have been able to be turned.  Such disregard to human life and suffering is what turned people against the Shifts, now it might get worse.  Plus, not everyone will realize that they were Demifae and may believe that she filled plain humans.  Such brutality never serves a real purpose.  Some will say it was justified but others will look at it with horror and know it wasn't.  She could have killed them without torturing them.

  • Like 3
  • Wow 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..