Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Life in the dark future is hard, and conflict is constant between the empowered and the power hungry.

The Mantis Variant - Book One - 31. Chapter 31 - Epilogue 1 - Plotting

What if we burn it to the ground?

Later that night, when the two men were upstairs and the three young women were still seated by candlelight, Ilya commented, "What if we just did it ourselves."

The two others looked at her with expectant expressions.

"What do you mean?" Dozi asked.

"Burn it to the ground," Ilya replied.

Lahari nodded. "I'm in."

Dozi frowned at them. "The Lovegoods?" she said in disbelief. "You know they're all Messiahs, right? How on earth do you think it would be possible to do that without getting caught and killed yourselves?"

Ilya looked at Lahari.

Dozi shook her head. "And what about the innocent people who might die in the fire?" she continued. "People like Agrell before she escaped, or children that were born into the cult. What if there are others who have tried to get away but were caught and are still there?"

"I wish Agrell were alive," Ilya said, and she choked down the lump that started to rise in her throat. She looked at Lahari. "If we are going to do this, we need someone with intimate knowledge about the cult."

"I know someone," Lahari replied.

*

It was determined by the inhabitants of the underground that their home was destroyed. The magma did not rise as high as the newly appointed Principal Messiah hoped, and there was only a single heartbreaking fatality to the molten stone. However, it flowed into many of the deep chambers, and much of the impressive original excavations by the old Oselian military were filled by the magma. The liquid slowly cooled and solidified into igneous rock, and again became part of the peninsula's bedrock upon which Teshon City sat, but most of the underground no longer existed

uh oh...
Copyright © 2022 Adam Andrews Johnson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 3
  • Wow 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
  • Sad 1
This is my first book, so I thank you from the bottom of my being for taking the time to read it! Please, keep reading and leave feedback :-)
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Where did the desire to destroy Agrell's former home come from? I could see destroying the Messiah Tower. There are probably other Shifts who could do it using cosmic power, but this sudden shift of focus is irrational and is something Agrell would not want.

If the Underground is gone, where do they go now?

Edited by drpaladin
  • Love 4
Link to comment

I agree--where do the shifts go now ?

Will they seek out Messiah's and attack them? Will the Principal Messiah lead another attack on the shifts to kill the remaining ones?

I do not think the conflict is over.

  • Love 4
Link to comment

Let's hope they all listen to Dozi; I understand wanting the Messiah's that did this to die; but like Agrell there could be innocents still there.

With the underground destroyed; those above are going to have to start getting use to things that they never considered.  This is not going to be a quick or easy task.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Like rubella, the evil Messiah's need to be eradicated and I am all for sparing the innocent. The denizens of the underground will have to find a way to break bread with those above ground

Edited by drsawzall
  • Like 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..