Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Life in the dark future is hard, and conflict is constant between the empowered and the power hungry.

The Mantis Variant - Book One - 32. Chapter 32 - Epilogue 2 - Breakfast

You're waking up the whole neighborhood!

As the morning sun began to slide up the cloud-shrouded sky, many voices were shouting in anger.

"Oi! Shut it!"

"Will you please shut up?!"

"Stop yelling!"

"Do you know what time it is?!"

Dozi was standing outside the mystic's apothecary. It was early, but she was trying to rouse the sleeping men. She did her best to ignore the other groggy inhabitants of the neighborhood who were upset with her.

"What is that ruckus?!"

"Shut up!"

"Who's making all that noise?!"

"You woke me up!"

This was too serious; Dozi just needed to wake the men, and then everything would be fine. It seemed that she disturbed everyone in the vicinity, except for the two who she was trying to awaken.

"Shut up!!"

"Great, now my baby is screaming!"

"Keep it down!"

"What the fuck is wrong with you?!" someone squawked, just as Theolan's head popped out of the window above Dozi.

"What is going on out here?" he mumbled.

"Let me in!" Dozi shrieked. "Let me inside!"

A moment later, she was in the shop and the mystic was making three cups of tea for breakfast.

"We don't have time for that!" Dozi barked at him. "They left! I didn't think they were serious last night, but they're gone! And they've got a major head start on us," Dozi seemed frantic; she was normally so easygoing.

"Slow down, what are you talking about?" Theolan asked.

Dozi grunted at the men in frustration. "They're gone!" she repeated. "Auntie Peg, Ilya, and Lahari got this crazy notion last night, to get revenge for Agrell or something, and they left at dawn. They are going to the cult!"

The mystic looked puzzled and said, "That doesn't make any sense. They can't have gone."

"What are you talking about?" Dozi snapped. "Why the fuck have I been out there waking up the whole neighborhood? Of course, they're gone; I didn't make it up!"

"Okay, okay," Theolan said, trying to appease her, "tell us what happened."

"I don't know if they are planning on attacking the cult of what, but there was mention of setting it on fire!"

"It's going to take them days to get there," Theolan commented. He looked apprehensive. "My grandparents were from Eckelton, and I visited there, but it was years ago." He looked into Dozi’s eyes. "The three of them are really going to walk all the way to the Lovegood cult, in order to kill people, all in remembrance of Agrell?"

"That’s what I said! Like our dashai meant nothing," Dozi grumbled.

"No, I'm sure it's not like that," the mystic cajoled. "The dashai we made for her last night was a very sweet moment for the five of us."

"And now, they plan murder in the name of Agrell," Dozi concluded in a dry voice

😖
Copyright © 2022 Adam Andrews Johnson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 5
This is my first book, so I thank you from the bottom of my being for taking the time to read it! Please, keep reading and leave feedback :-)
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Let's hope that Dozi is wrong and there is another explanation.  I understand the need for revenge but going off half cocked is never a good idea.  

We need a little more information to figure this one out.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

I had wondered why Auntie Peg wasn't invited to the memorial. She knew Agrell too and bow they've elisted her in this crazy mission. I don't understand why she would go.

  • Like 3
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

What  mess ! I hope the three have not left on a revenge attack on the cult. 

I imagine the cult can protect itself and the three will be in serious danger

I hope the next chapter clarifies the situation. 

Why are the messiahs in the tower not targeted?

  • Like 4
Link to comment
9 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Spare the innocent and eradicate the evil messiah's like the vermin they are!!!

#SpoilerAlert 😆

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Book 2 just miiiiight happen to have a band of vigilante Bio-Shifts who are slaughtering Messiahs in the city 😵

  • Love 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
46 minutes ago, Adam Andrews Johnson said:

#SpoilerAlert 😆

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Book 2 just miiiiight happen to have a band of vigilante Bio-Shifts who are slaughtering Messiahs in the city 😵

Don't expect anyone crying over some spilled Messiahs.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..