Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Life in the dark future is hard, and conflict is constant between the empowered and the power hungry.

The Mantis Variant - Book One - 25. Chapter 25 - UBHS

An assembly of the Unity Between Humans and Shifts.

As the sun was beginning to set, Dozi followed the mystic and his husband into the meeting hall where the Unity Between Humans and Shifts members were gathered. The tension in the air was palpable. She overheard a few angry remarks.

"The Messiahs' violence needs to be stopped," one man said.

"We outnumber them," added a woman.

"Someone should retaliate," another person suggested.

Several comments of agreement came after a different woman declared, "Messiahs are cannibals."

The head of the organization stepped onto the riser at the front of the room, and she addressed the members. "Good evening, friends," she called out over the murmur of conversation. "Thank you all for coming to this UBHS meeting on such short notice."

All other talking ceased.

"In case any of you have not yet heard," she continued, "a group of Messiahs and Demifae attacked the inhabitants of the underground last night. This villainous action cannot be allowed to go without a response! Their hatred must be countered."

She began to pace across the low stage. "For too long have they lived comfortably, murdering our Shift cousins. Will we continue to stand aside and do nothing? Do we intend to watch more of this great city's citizens slain to grant power to others? And what of that power? The stolen strength that creates Messiahs come from our friends and family."

A few people called out affirmations as their leader continued.

"I may be a human, but I married a Shift, and I know there are many of you in beautiful mixed relationships. We are proof that all peoples can live in peace and harmony. We are the shining example to all others."

Another leader stepped onto the stage beside her and continued.

"We need to gather as many like-minded people as we can, and we will march in protest on the Messiah Tower. We will meet not tomorrow, but the following morning at sunrise, on the Spritehood southern waterfront. Spend tomorrow spreading the word about the march so we can increase our numbers."

The first leader continued. "We will walk the perimeter of the peninsula to the northern side before heading south to the Messiah temple. As always, make signs or banners, dress up however you would like, and remember that if you don't want your identity to be known, it is always appropriate to wear a mask. This is not an act of war, please don't attend armed. We want to inform the city what happened, not cause another confrontation."

Dozi stood off to one side, watching the gathered people, who were all watching the two leaders. All around the room, there were Shifts openly using their powers, and humans were standing side by side with them. She had never seen such diversity.

In the back of her mind, Dozi still felt that urge and desire to be more than she was. The lecture she received from the mystic and his husband was still fresh in her mind, and now that she befriended her first Shift in Ilya, someone killing her for the photonova gland inside her head was unthinkable. Dozi also could not deny the horrors of what Agrell went through before escaping the Lovegood cult. Her conflicting thoughts swirled in her mind, as the speakers finished and the group began to disperse.

"Will you join us?" the mystic asked, as he and his husband approached Dozi. "Will you be there to march?"

"I don't know," she replied. "I need to find out what happened to Ilya and Agrell."

"As a fellow human," Theolan commented with a little bow, "please allow me to encourage you to not spend too much of your worry concerned with those who are powerful, as they can usually take care of themselves. Please join us," he urged.

She only responded with, "Maybe."

Night began to swallow the city in darkness, and Dozi headed back to her home. It was quite a while since the last time she was there alone, and she could not help but worry about her new friends.

After eating, she crawled into bed and tried to find sleep, but each of the people with whom she recently became acquainted flashed into her mind. They were starting to feel like family.

That was one of the things Dozi wanted when she moved away from her home in the mountains, to find a group of people that made her feel complete, and this ragamuffin crew of mismatched individuals seemed to encompass that desire. She never could have guessed that the people with whom she would end up feeling close, would include a Shift and an ex-Messiah. Over the past several days, the mystic and his husband had also firmly lodged themselves in her heart. Even their Biological Shift daughter drifted through her mind. Lahari’s appearance may have been shocking, but she was also fascinating.

In the cold darkness, Dozi dozed off to sleep

What will happen to with Dozi next?
Copyright © 2022 Adam Andrews Johnson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 5
  • Fingers Crossed 1
This is my first book, so I thank you from the bottom of my being for taking the time to read it! Please, keep reading and leave feedback :-)
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

OK--the united group of humans and shifts is going to protest in a non-violent, non-confrontational way around the Messiah Tower in two days hoping the residents will consider their wishes to not attack others. What a kind and hopelessly optimistic wish.

The Messiahs are violent, cruel beings who just massacred the hunters after killing shifts. The Messiahs might fear what the marchers are planning and attack them, if they had the ability to respond.

If the battle between the shifts and Messiahs underway is successful, then the Messiahs will no longer be a force to consider and fear. The human-shift protest march will not be needed. Or, if the result is known soon enough, the march could turn into a celebration of peace.

I hope Illya and Agrell can reach Dozi and end her worries and give her hopefully good news.

  • Love 5
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

A protest march. Now I understand Ilya's comment about never having been helped by them.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, drpaladin said:

A protest march. Now I understand Ilya's comment about never having been helped by them.

protests always generate such strong opinions from people that i knew i needed to bring up multiple sides and viewpoints

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Methinks the protest march will do little to nothing...it will however present targets of opportunity to the Messiah's during the march or afterwards as the Messiah's try to consolidate control and power over everyone...like smallpox, the Messiah's need to be eradicated...

  • Like 4
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

So glad that Dozi found this group; I hope she does march.  That being said, I don't think the Messiah's will take kindly to being viewed in a negative manner.  They truly believe they are the next evolution of humanity, and no one like that wants to think they are wrong.

Dozi really has formed a family unit with Ilya and Agrell; I hope they know how important that truly is.

Can't wait to see where this story goes.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..