Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Life in the dark future is hard, and conflict is constant between the empowered and the power hungry.

The Mantis Variant - Book One - 6. Chapter 6 - Ilya, Part Two

Ilya spends a night alone in the woods.

With her bare feet on a thin layer of freshly fallen snow, Ilya stood swirled by the flurries that fell onto the mountains. She knew her ability of flight was somehow connected to the unique gland that she and all Shifts possessed, but she did not understand why her gift also came with a resistance to the cold. Naked in those early-wintery woods, Ilya was grateful for the added benefit. The snow brushed against her skin and the wind whipped her hair, but she remained unaffected by the chill.

She closed her eyes and pictured the many people that she loved and already lost over her short life. Tears began to burn her eyes, and the droplets were chilled and fell without warmth to the frozen ground.

The boy who Ilya smothered inside of their shanty was not the first life she took, but then the faces of her parents flashed into her mind, and her tears ceased. Ilya was not even sure that the images in her memory were what her parents looked like. Their cruelty was seven years in her past, and in that time without them, she grew into a strong young woman.

Alone on that mountain with nothing, Ilya did not know what she should do next. She did not know where she would go, and she began to walk aimlessly through the pathless tracts of forest. With her bare feet crunching along frozen ground, her thoughts spun with painful memories, like the snowflakes that swirled around her. Every friend that she made in her short life was now dead.

Ilya was without food or water, and she tried to convince herself to return to the city. She needed to make a new home, but she did not feel that she was up to the task. Starting her life over, yet again from nothing, it felt to her like this repetitive cycle would never end.

The high mountain forests were home to predators, and in her despair of that moment, Ilya thought she would be grateful for one such beast to appear and end the misery that was her life. She may have been impervious to the cold, but being slaughtered by animals seemed like a good way to die.

She did not view her abilities and powers as a gift. She did not ask for them. Of course, she did not even ask to be born, forced into life against her will by the two heartless individuals who just happened to be her parents.

Ilya only ever remembered feeling unlucky

Is life going to get better for Ilya?
Copyright © 2022 Adam Andrews Johnson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Wow 4
  • Sad 4
This is my first book, so I thank you from the bottom of my being for taking the time to read it! Please, keep reading and leave feedback :-)
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Illya needs a new perspective, and a least one good friend, I think. She has only experience pain and rejection and the death of others, Now she want to die by the action of a predator to take her pain away. 

She is wandering aimlessly. Nothing is certain.  She is depending on chance to help your look up and want to survive. I hope she finds a new outlook.

  • Love 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Yes.

From her perspective, life is about loss. She needs strong friends and some sense of stability.

  • Love 4
Link to comment

I think the comments above are spot on...She needs a connection to someone who won't die or disappear on her...

  • Love 4
Link to comment

Ilya must find a way to accept what she has had to do and find the strength to reach out to others and try and keep a connection going.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..