Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Life in the dark future is hard, and conflict is constant between the empowered and the power hungry.

The Mantis Variant - Book One - 35. Chapter 35 - Epilogue 5 - The Beginning

Reunited!

"We know what you're planning," Dozi declared, "and we're here to stop you!" She came stomping down the path that led into Eckelton with the mystic and Theolan behind her.

The sun was rising. For most of the season, grey clouds were present above Teshon City and the surrounding area, but the sky was clear that morning. The winter haze would soon return.

Auntie Peg and Ilya were seated at a table in the sun. Plates were in front of them, and the two looked up from their food towards the three frazzled travelers.

Dozi was frowning.

Auntie Peg raised one hand and gave them a dainty wave. "Would you like some breakfast?" she asked.

The mystic looked exhausted, but he perked up at the prospect of food.

Dozi replied, "You're not going to dissuade us. We are here to prevent you from doing what I know you have planned."

"Lahari is up in our room," Auntie Peg commented with a lovely smile. "You boys should go say good morning to her before joining us."

"I'm serious," Dozi said emphatically. "Don't do this, please. Don't do what you think you need to do."

"We already know," replied Ilya.

"What do you mean?" Dozi asked her.

Ilya gave her an apologetic smile. "I mean, we know that you're right. We came to the same conclusion last night."

"I think we just needed to grieve Agrell," Auntie Peg added, "in our own way. Sorry we worried you, dear. And I agree with Ilya, you're right." Auntie Peg reached out and took Dozi's hand. "Thank you," she said, "for believing in what was right, and for coming after us. Agrell was lucky to have known you."

Tears sprang to Dozi's eyes, and Auntie Peg leapt to her feet and wrapped her in a tight embrace. Even though Dozi did not know the woman, she broke down and exploded, sobbing against her shoulder.

As Dozi cried, Auntie Peg whispered, "Ilya, why don't you take the boys up to see Lahari?" and they entered the tavern.

Dozi's body trembled. Her knees were weak, but Auntie Peg hugged her tight.

"It's okay, girl," she comforted, as tears welled at the corner of her own eyes. "Great, now you’re gonna make me cry, too."

The two women held each other as the sun slowly crept up the pale winter sky.

"Wait a second," Auntie Peg said. "Did you three walk all night?" she asked.

Dozi could not speak through her shuddering breaths, but nodded against Auntie Peg's chest.

"Oh, child, you must care deeply, to have convinced the boys to walk all night, in order to stop the three of us on our path of vengeance. Thank you," Auntie Peg said to Dozi again, "for taking good care of Agrell."

Theolan reappeared with Ilya, and they both sat, as Dozi pulled herself from Auntie Peg's embrace. She sniffed hard and wiped her eyes, then she also sat at the table.

Auntie Peg and Ilya continued their breakfast, and Dozi and Theolan ordered their own meals. He also ordered a plate of food for the mystic.

Lahari and her father came outside and joined the rest of their now larger group. She was covered from head to toe.

Auntie Peg and Ilya were finished eating, and the two of them rose. Lahari and Ilya meandered down the dusty street, as Auntie Peg headed back in to the inn's front desk.

"Any chance we can rent the room for several more hours? A few friends of ours traveled through the night and just arrived this morning. I'd love to let them rest a while before we head out on the road again."

She negotiated the price for half a day extra and then headed back outside. She informed Dozi and the men that after their sleepless night, they could use the room and nap for the morning. After the others ate, Auntie Peg escorted them to the room.

"This isn't a ploy to get rid of us and go have your revenge, is it?" Dozi questioned.

"No," Auntie Peg said with a chuckle, "those feelings are gone. Again, I'm sorry we worried you. We'll be waiting outside when you three are feeling rested."

She then joined Lahari and Ilya out under the weak winter sun, and the three strolled arm in arm through the tiny town.

A few of the townsfolk were out and about, enjoying the mild day, and several of them stopped to chat with the three ladies. They discussed the weather, what crops grew in the area, or how many generations of people’s families had lived there in town. It was pleasant and meaningless banter that helped to pass the time.

The sun was reaching its low zenith in the winter sky when the others emerged from the inn.

They ate a second meal in front of the tavern, enjoying the weak warmth and the clear day. When they finished, Auntie Peg headed inside and settled up with the host. She returned with a small box of artisanal chocolate truffles that were handmade by the resident chef.

"Well, isn’t that delightful?" the mystic said.

Each took one, and an extra remained in the box.

They all slowly devoured their treats, savoring the sweet and subtle bitterness of the chocolate.

Auntie Peg licked her fingertips, as she held up the box with the final truffle.

"That one should have been for Agrell," Dozi said, and she smothered a sob that threatened its way up her throat.

Tears leaked down several of their cheeks, as the group again comforted each other. All of them passed on having a second chocolate.

Dabbing his eyes with his handkerchief, the mystic doublechecked with everyone else that they did not want the last truffle, and he ate it.

Then the six of them turned their backs to Eckelton and began the journey home

THANK YOU so incredibly much for reading my book! "The Mantis Variant" is Part One, and the sequel "The Mantis Equilibrium" has just been released 💀 Part Three is in the editing stages and will also be available very soon. Reach out to me if you would like a signed physical copy of "The Mantis Variant" (also available on kindle)
Separately, I am in the process of releasing my high epic fantasy novel called "The Starting End" through a publisher out of the UK. The book deals with heavy issues like human sexuality, and it involves celebration of kinks and there is a LOT of erotica.
Please keep an eye out of other releases from me in the future! 😻
Copyright © 2022 Adam Andrews Johnson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 9
This is my first book, so I thank you from the bottom of my being for taking the time to read it! Please, keep reading and leave feedback :-)
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

P.S. I've also planned out and started writing book 3... oh, and I feel like it's important to mention about book 2, Dozi goes on vacation with the mystic and his husband ❤️

  • Love 5
Link to comment
2 hours ago, VBlew said:

This world you’ve created and the stories you’re telling are most engaging. Looking forward to the next books.

wow, thank you so unbelievably much for the encouraging words! and I'm so glad you were entertained 😻

  • Love 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..