Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Suitable for all ages.

Twinks in Space: Destination Unknown - Part One - 42. Chapter 42- Insignificance

Captain Suoki is hanging out with Stawren's father, Jintrin.

It was morning in Boullia Bay, and Jintrin was sitting with Captain Suoki in front of a café. Froufrou was strapped in his snug harness of soft green leather, and his leash was in the captain’s hand. Phentrom had stayed at Jintrin’s house, tempting the other two that he would be cooking them breakfast when they returned. After the men finished their beverages, they were going to get a latte to bring home to Phentrom. The island sun was shining, and it was a lovely morning, but they were looking at their digital devices and discussing dark things.

“This report says the presumed universal death toll from these attacks is up to 70 billion,” Jintrin gasped in disbelief.

“What I’m looking at says that only five of the planets have managed to get the assassin vipers under control,” Captain Suoki added.

Jintrin looked up. “I’m so glad they didn’t target this planet.”

Captain Suoki turned to him. “They attacked massive centers of industry or locations with enormous populations. This planet is mostly water with only these few islands and a limited permanent population and some tourists. There are also no natural resources here that tempt off-worlders to make this place a target.”

“But before the uprising, we in Boullia Bay had been like punching bags for those pirates for years,” Jintrin replied. “They took advantage of us for something like 15 years.”

“I’ve been wondering about that,” Captain Suoki commented. “I think there’s a specific reason why this place became a playground for those villains. I don’t know what it is yet, but there’s something.”

Jintrin looked curious. “You don’t think we were just random and unlucky?”

“No,” Captain Suoki replied, “I think someone was already well aware of the conditions here in Boullia Bay, and they took advantage of the situation and the people.”

“I will say,” Jintrin continued, “I do feel very lucky that you brought Lyoth and Phentrom here. Without Lyoth rallying a rebellion, we’d still be living under the heel of those pirates.”

“Yeah,” Captain Suoki agreed, “he doesn’t talk himself up much, but Lyoth has made an impact; he’s changed things in multiple planetary systems around the universe. His days as a Guild of Houses agent were part mercenary work and part espionage; he’s been an assassin and also the commander of legions. He led combat missions against brutal warlords and tyrants. There are places in this universe that will never forget him.”

“Really?” Jintrin asked in surprise. “He’s done all that?”

Captain Suoki smiled. “There’s a statue of Lyoth in Zvenal! On the planet Irolith, the people who he liberated built a statue of him.” Froufrou barked enthusiastically. “That’s right,” Captain Suoki said down to his pug, “there’s a statue of Lyoth in Zvenal.”

“Is there, really?” Jintrin replied. “He didn’t mention anything like that to us.”

“No,” Captain Suoki confirmed, “he’s not a braggart. There’s also a street named after Lyoth in the city of Weilif on Piliothin. He’ll be remembered in some corners of the universe forever.”

“Wow,” Jintrin marveled.

A man at the table beside Captain Suoki and Jintrin spoke up, “I’m sorry; I didn’t mean to eavesdrop, but the details you’re sharing about your friend are hard to ignore.” He let out an embarrassed laugh. “I feel so insignificant!”

“Most of us are so much more insignificant than we like to admit,” Captain Suoki continued casually, smiling at the man. “I’ve been the captain of a spaceship the size of a city for several years. Before that, I led multiple tours of engagement, but I will be utterly forgotten someday. I say, embrace insignificance!” He turned back to Jintrin. “We should celebrate that most of us will never make any sort of impact on any world, and we shouldn’t think of it as a negative thing; it’s a gift. I bask in my insignificance!” Captain Suoki let out another boisterous laugh and Froufrou leapt up onto his lap.

Jintrin was not certain he agreed entirely with Captain Suoki’s sentiments, and he questioned him. “You don’t think that everyone is important, that everyone is special?”

“How about unique?” Captain Suoki countered. “Everyone is an individual,” he added.

“Well, that’s not saying very much.”

“Which is exactly what most of us achieve in our lives,” Captain Suoki chuckled, “not very much. Should we grab another coffee and head up for breakfast with Phentrom?”

When they arrived a few minutes later, their breakfast was waiting for them. To their surprise, Phentrom was upset.

“Suoki, Lyoth just called!”

Captain Suoki was surprised. “He did? Where is he?”

“He’s on Allthrin, with Stawren and Neptithia.”

Captain Suoki could tell something was bothering the mandroid. “Phentrom, what is it; what’s wrong?”

“The Giblox Authority is going by a new name, the Intergalactic Covenant of Unification for the Ages.”

Both Jintrin and Captain Suoki looked confused.

“That doesn’t mean anything to me,” Captain Suoki replied.

“It didn’t mean anything to me either,” Phentrom agreed, “but then after we hung up, it clicked.” He paused and added, “The acronym I.C.U.A. was printed on those children’s prison clothes.”

“I tried to reconnect with Lyoth to let him know,” Phentrom continued, “but I haven’t been able to get through.”

“Why don’t we eat some of this lovely breakfast you’ve prepared for us,” Captain Suoki recommended, “and we can reach out to him again afterward.”

Lyoth reconnected to them before they were finished eating.

“I tried to call you back…” Phentrom began.

“The Giblox Authority,” Lyoth interrupted, “or whatever they’re called now, have just positioned fleets of warships in several strategic positions in the universe. They just dropped out of hyperspace in the last five minutes above the Universal Counsel on the planet Biovialia, at the Halo One space station, and at the edge of the Araxrtic system – the most heavily populated region of the universe. There are also reports coming out of the Ulistrial homeworld that they are under attack. An agent from the Guild of Houses reached out to tell me that even one of their weapons facilities has been targeted.”

Captain Suoki cried out, “Everyone is at war!”

oh no... war!
2023
  • Like 2
  • Love 4
  • Wow 2
What's coming next?!
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

While the A-Holes are bombing the crap out of the universe, I suspect they left the back door open to their headquarters...time to send an explosive message up their backsides...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Lyoth is worshiped on some worlds and yet he's avoided getting the big head.

The I.U.C.A. just clicked with Phentrom. It's about time.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..