Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Suitable for all ages.

Twinks in Space: Destination Unknown - Part One - 32. Chapter 32 - The Universe

The group discusses the Universe.

Fonith was waiting with Captain Suoki and Froufrou when Lyoth, Phentrom, and Stawren arrived at a location she had given them called the Star Spot Inn. After many hugs between the men and women, and also a significant amount of affection for the dog, the three new arrivals ordered drinks and joined the other two at a round table. Froufrou was strapped in a green leather harness, and he was seated on Captain Suoki’s lap.

“When you sent us the message,” Phentrom commented to the bounty hunter, “that you’d be waiting with Suoki at an inn, I expected it to be a quaint little place.”

Fonith snickered. “I wanted us to meet up somewhere we could blend in and hide in plain sight.”

The Star Spot Inn was located on a very busy street in a massive city called Doljah. Doljah was the capital of the Ijirie nation on the planet Yxanithon. Yxanithon was the only inhabited planet in a system within the primary quadrant governed by the Intergalactic Union for Peace.

“It’s busy here,” Phentrom stated, looking around the inn.

Fonith laughed again. “All the better to discuss what I’ve got in mind. Lean in close, you lot. I had you meet us here because I’ve got connections in town to a few very shady individuals, and they have ties to a group of mercenaries who operate outside of space.”

“Like, as in, another dimension?” Phentrom asked.

Fonith looked confused. “What? No, I mean outside of what we think of as the map of the universe. Look at this table. Our current universal map is almost round, like the tabletop. Right now, we’re in a sector roughly here,” and she brought her fingertip to a spot at the center, “and the Omni is somewhere around here.” She slid her finger to the edge of the table near herself. Fonith then began to move her hands around the table’s edge. “There are mapping missions in these regions, because there is so much uncharted space, and it’s so far out that it hasn’t been easy to get to. The group I’m talking about contacting operate around here somewhere,” and she moved her palm off the table near Stawren.

“When we were at the Omni,” Lyoth added, “we were talking about how the space behind it is empty, implying that it should have been full of stars.”

“Like all the rest of this space is full of stars and galaxies,” Fonith concluded, moving both hands in the air a few inches from the table. “I want to go here, where the mercenaries conduct their business. When they look up this direction into space,” and Fonith pointed toward the center of the table, “they see our mapped galaxies, everything extending toward and beyond where we are at the Star Spot Inn on Yxanithon.” She rotated her hand, pointing away from the table and into the rest of the tavern. “But what do they see when they look up at the stars this way? They still see stars and galaxies, but they are looking at objects so far from what we think of as the central hub of the universe,” and Fonith brought her palm to the middle of the table, “that we may never be able to map them.”

“Wait,” Phentrom repeated, “could the Ulaa-Lah have been teleported out into some part of uncharted space?”

Lyoth sighed. “It’s possible. Neptithia has been scouring everything that her expansive searches can probe, and she’s come up with nothing about the Ulaa-Lah. We need to expand our search.” He turned to Fonith. “Who are these mercenaries?”

“They’re soldiers of fortune who like to stay off anyone’s radar. They call themselves Red Stars. I’ve used their resources before. They have strategic bases in the outer quadrant, and they often have helpful intel. That’s what I’m hoping we can get from them.”

“So where’s your connection here in the city?” Captain Suoki asked.

Fonith smirked. “Right over at the bar.” She nodded in its direction. “We’ve been waiting for a specific person to arrive, and I noticed she got here a few minutes ago. Once I’m discussing things with her, you four, head outside and I’ll meet you in the street afterward.”

She rose from the table and approached the bar, positioning herself next to a woman with messy green hair. “Igzy,” Fonith exclaimed, “it’s been so long!”

The green-haired woman turned to Fonith with a beaming smile. “Fonith!” She wrapped the bounty hunter in a tight embrace. “What brings you to our little drinking hole? Here for business, or here for pleasure?”

“I’m hoping to dabble in a little of both,” Fonith replied in a flirty voice. “As a matter of fact, I’m on a hunt. I need intel.” She smirked at the other woman. “And, Igzy, I know you like my money.”

Igzy let out a boisterous laugh. “I enjoy doing business with just about anyone who has money! Come into my office,” she added, leading Fonith to a more private booth. When they were seated and leaning close, Igzy asked, “So, what are you hoping to find out?”

“Actually, it’s what I’m hoping to find,” Fonith replied. “I’m on the hunt for a lost starship and its crew.”

Igzy perked up. “Interesting, but I haven’t heard anything about any lost ships.”

“No, that’s why I came to you. I’ve exhausted my capability of searching in any widespread databanks, but the Red Stars have helped me on several previous hunts, and I have a feeling this missing starship is lost beyond charted space, maybe in their territory.”

Igzy looked curious. “I haven’t been in touch with them in a while. They recently changed leadership, and I had connections with a few of the people who aren’t in charge anymore. Let me think.” Igzy spent a quiet moment punching data into her handheld device. “It looks like I’ve still got a loose connection to one of the lower members. Do you want me to have them schedule you a meeting with whoever is in charge now?”

“Do it,” Fonith replied with a confident smile. “What do I owe you for this hook-up?”

Igzy looked up from her device with a grin. “The usual,” she replied.

“Done,” Fonith said, transferring payment. “Now, just gotta get myself to the far side of the universe.”

Igzy took Fonith’s hand. “Hey, be careful. Whatever happened to the Red Stars has caused a major shift. They aren’t what they used to be. They were tough and they got the job done before, but something’s different.”

Fonith paused, taking the warning serious. “What else can you tell me? Sounds like I need to know what I’m stepping into.”

“I don’t think they’re just a group of mercenaries for hire anymore,” Igzy replied. “I think they joined up with some outlaws or something.”

“That doesn’t sound too different than…” Fonith started to say.

Igzy shook her head. “No, you don’t understand, and I’m not explaining it right. I think the Red Stars have linked up with some sort of political group.”

Fonith paused. “That seems unlike them. How good is your intel?”

“I don’t know how good it is. At least two of the Red Stars who I knew were exiled from their base.”

“Any idea who these politicians are?”

Igzy shrugged. “It’s so easy for any group just to slap a new name on themselves. I heard that they were called the Daylight Party, but that doesn’t mean anything to me.”

“Doesn’t mean anything to me either,” Fonith replied. “I’ll see what I can find out. Thanks for everything.” She stood, flagged down a cocktail waiter, and said, “Put everything she orders on my tab,” indicating Igzy.

“Yes, ma’am,” the waiter replied.

Fonith headed outside, and even in the busy street, she was quickly able to find Lyoth, Phentrom, Stawren, and Captain Suoki with Froufrou. “Let’s make our way to the ships and I’ll tell you what I learned. I’ve got a few more pieces of information that would be great to have your aunt search for us.”

As they drew near to the spaceport, Lyoth’s keen awareness picked up on a man heading straight for them, and he sidestepped out of the other pedestrian’s way. He expected the man to do the same, but he bumped right into Phentrom.

“Oh, excuse me!” the mandroid said in surprise. “I didn’t mean to…”

The other man did not react, and he continued walking, already disappearing into the crowd.

“Well, that was rude,” Fonith stated, and Froufrou let out an angry bark.

“I think I’ve…” Phentrom began, but he did not finish his thought.

“What is it?” Captain Suoki asked.

“I’m not sure,” the mandroid replied.

When the group arrived at the spaceport where the ships were docked, Stawren asked the others, “Are we taking both?”

“I’m taking the Cometskipper,” Fonith stated, “and we can either all ride together in it, or we can bring your newly acquired ship as well. By the by, does it have a name?”

“Ugh!” Stawren replied. “Yes, but look at this!” She stepped around to the side of the ship and pointed at its nameplate.

Fonith read, “Cruisin’ and Boozin’ Jumpshuttle… huh, catchy,” she said, rolling her eyes. “Why don’t you rename it?”

“Oooh, can we?” Phentrom asked.

Captain Suoki chuckled. “Do you have something in mind?”

“It’s gotta be something fancy!” the mandroid replied. “Something regal…” he thought about it and said, “Maybe the queen?

“But it’s gotta be something cosmic, too,” Stawren added, “like quasar.”

Lyoth snorted a laugh. “Sure, the Quasar Queen it is!”

Froufrou let out a yip of excitement.

The Quasar Queen and the Cometskipper are on their way!
2023
  • Like 2
  • Love 4
  • Fingers Crossed 1
What's coming next?!
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Who wants to bet the Red Stars are now working for the baddies our group is after?

The guy who bumped into Phentrom was too deliberate about it. What did he do to him?

  • Like 2
  • Wow 2
Link to comment

it is obvious the missing ship is somehow connected with whatever the Red Stars are now...

This is troubling to say the least...

As they drew near to the spaceport, Lyoth’s keen awareness picked up on a man heading straight for them, and he sidestepped out of the other pedestrian’s way. He expected the man to do the same, but he bumped right into Phentrom.

“Oh, excuse me!” the mandroid said in surprise. “I didn’t mean to…”

The other man did not react, and he continued walking, already disappearing into the crowd.

“Well, that was rude,” Fonith stated, and Froufrou let out an angry bark.

“I think I’ve…” Phentrom began, but he did not finish his thought.

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
3 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

it is obvious the missing ship is somehow connected with whatever the Red Stars are now...

This is troubling to say the least...

As they drew near to the spaceport, Lyoth’s keen awareness picked up on a man heading straight for them, and he sidestepped out of the other pedestrian’s way. He expected the man to do the same, but he bumped right into Phentrom.

“Oh, excuse me!” the mandroid said in surprise. “I didn’t mean to…”

The other man did not react, and he continued walking, already disappearing into the crowd.

“Well, that was rude,” Fonith stated, and Froufrou let out an angry bark.

“I think I’ve…” Phentrom began, but he did not finish his thought.

Odd, wasn't it? If it happened to me, I'd be checking my pockets.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
5 hours ago, drpaladin said:

Odd, wasn't it? If it happened to me, I'd be checking my pockets.

It wasn't an innocent passing to say the least...

  • Love 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
4 hours ago, drsawzall said:

It wasn't an innocent passing to say the least...

As savvy as Lyoth is, I'm surprised he missed the significance.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Well, I agree that the Red Stars are going to be tied to one of the groups involved in the fight; probably one we don't like.  

I don't think the bump was accidental, I think the man either did something or planted something on Phentrom.  

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..