Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Suitable for all ages.

Twinks in Space: Destination Unknown - Part One - 30. Chapter 30 - The River Thieth Hotel

The trio book accommodations for the night.

The trio traveled all day, encountering no other people, and taking breaks from the journey as they needed. Whenever they got hungry, they enjoyed the food that the throuple had provided, and eventually the underground began to darken with the setting of the sun.

Stawren indicated a sign to Lyoth and Phentrom. “Only two more hours of driving!” she declared. “Can’t wait to be done.”

Silhouettes in the fading light caught Lyoth’s attention. “Wait! There!” He pointed out the window. “Look!”

Phentrom gasped.

“Of course,” Stawren replied, “I had forgotten how far out of town our local spaceport was. My memory was telling me it was at the Raxtack City limit, but now I remember, as a kid, there used to be a long drive out of town before we ever made it to the spaceport.”

“Look at all those abandoned ships,” Phentrom said in awe, and he looked over at his beloved. “Do you think one of those will work as a new community vessel?”

Lyoth was smiling. “They’re not as big as the Ulaa-Lah, but few starships are. Those out there on the landing platforms are very different than the Ulaa-Lah, but I can see several good options that would work to replace it.”

“There are a few of those Homecruisers I mentioned,” Stawren said.

“Should we go check them out?” Phentrom asked.

“Aren’t you exhausted?” Lyoth replied.

“Yeah, but shouldn’t we get one?”

Stawren chuckled. “They’re not going anywhere, and we still need to get to Raxtack and find someplace for the night.”

The sun finished setting and Stawren turned on the headlights of the hovercraft as they continued their journey.

When they eventually arrived at Raxtack City, they drove past many blocks of abandoned and crumbling buildings, but after a while of searching, they did find a region that was livelier than any of them expected. There was a working power grid, and lamps lined a few of the streets. They drove past a couple of little food vendors and shops, all of which were closed, and then Phentrom pointed out of the windshield ahead of them.

“There’s a sign for a hotel!”

“I see it,” Stawren replied. She pulled the vehicle up to the front and parked.

The River Thieth Hotel was not a large building, but a sign blinked that there were rooms available. The downstairs of the hotel was a tavern and the rooms were above.

Lyoth, Phentrom, and Stawren entered the pub. A rowdy band was performing on stage and a pair of Blue-skinned women were dancing a traditional step that had them leaping and prancing all around the establishment. The other inhabitants of Raxtack City who made the River Thieth Hotel tavern their regular haunt were clapping and stomping their feet with the music. They whooped and hollered for the performers on the stage and the dancing women.

The song came to an abrupt end, and the audience erupted in applause. As the cheering began to calm, the percussionist started the next song, and the singer sang.

 

Before your foot falls in her forest

There’re fickle feelings to frighten off

No doubt in magic or mysticism

About her existence it won't fit into your system

You’ll be the victim as you enter her kingdom

And as if through a prism

She’ll never even give you a glimpse

Unless you fall into her rhythm

But then you'll see her glisten

 

The trio of weary travelers were swept into a wondrous fantasy world woven by the lyrics and haunting music. Phentrom’s mouth was open, and his eyes were sparkling. Lyoth interlaced his fingers with the mandroid’s and kissed his cheek. Stawren smiled at the men.

 

She was never the witch out in the garden

But she was still out there sprinkling the pollen

I remember more than you have forgotten

Unbelievably unhardened and fallen

 

The singer repeated the lines, and one of the other musicians added a simple harmony with the lyrics, and the song continued.

 

Crisp autumn leaves and the murmur of thunder

There’s a chill in the breeze as the winter pulls the summer asunder

But up in her trees sheltered above and avoiding what's under

It takes magic to believe and it takes belief to see the magical wonder

Inspired life from the cracks in the pavement

Dirt towards the sun in a progression so ancient

Her tree is the world the trunk her home the roots her basement

If you wanna see her magic you must remain patient

 

Melodies and harmonies wove through the tavern like spells. They were enchanting in a way that captivated Lyoth, Stawren, and Phentrom.

 

She was never the witch out in the garden

But she was still out there sprinkling the pollen

I remember more than you have forgotten

Unbelievably unhardened and fallen

 

The four lines were left unrepeated on their returned refrain, but all of the musicians sang along, leading into a brief bridge.

 

There’s a hidden world behind all those shadows

Where fae children play in the wildflower meadows

They run from the sun and dance out under the moon

Then back to toadstool houses for sleep in the afternoon

 

The music suddenly went through an uplifting change. It sounded triumphant.

 

You won't see unless you look

And looking requires the use of your imagination

You won't mind the thing she took

And giving requires your complete fascination

The forest's secrets lost out in the open

You’ll be leaving with something that she's stolen

But don’t’cha worry she won't leave you broken

Even though you feel that you've just emptied out the ocean

 

Harmonies evolved and the song’s composition shifted and built into new musical movements.

 

In between each of the leaves

It takes more than faith if you wanna believe

To catch a sight in the night you've gotta be a thief

Even with the keenest eyes this is gonna be brief

She’s not what you think it's all a mystery

So even though your insides feel all jittery

There’s no trickery in her hickory

So keep your eyes peeled for something silver and glittery

 

Inside her blossom she'll hide throughout the winter

Flora embrace as the cold be getting bitter

Even though it's frozen her heart contains a cinder

As the ice begins to linger hear the branches start to splinter

Walk untold miles with only one goal in mind

Remember it's only worth what your mind claims as its time

The cost of the frost as lost and found align

Blows across the snow those are her magical designs

 

Fall away with me

Fall the fae's in thee

 

The song ended, and Stawren, Lyoth, and Phentrom cheered.

As the next song began, the trio headed to the barkeep to ask about rooms. They were directed to a concierge desk in a quieter foyer. An older gentleman with a gray mustache greeted them.

“Welcome to the River Thieth Hotel. Have you three been enjoying drinks and music?”

“We have,” Stawren replied, “and we’d love accommodations for the night.”

The man smiled and said, “I think we might find something that can suit you.” He pulled out his guestbook and asked, “Have you been in town long?”

Stawren let out a contented sigh. “We just arrived. We landed in Bavport, of course, but my father is a Blue Allarei from this region. We decided not to stay in Bavport.”

“I don’t blame you,” the man replied. “There are so fewer people out in these parts, and our rooms are very luxurious. Do you three need food?”

They informed him that they had enjoyed plenty of snacks on their way into town and were ready for sleep after the long journey. They filled out his guest logbook, and he gave them a key. Once they were in their room and the three were out of their travel clothes, they quickly fell asleep.

Morning came too soon, and just as the underground began to lighten with the rising sun above, a blaring alarm began to scream throughout the streets of Raxtack City.

Now what?!
2023
  • Like 4
  • Love 6
What's coming next?!
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Raxtack proves to be a little more lively than one would expect so far out.

Waking to a danger alarm isn't the best ending of a night's sleep. What have they gotten in the middle of now?

  • Wow 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..