Jump to content
    Aditus
  • Author
  • 1,153 Words
  • 2,148 Views
  • 37 Comments
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

An Advent Calendar - 1. Door#1 - The Sweater

The Sweater

 

Steam rose from the piping hot black liquid contained in a mug shaped like Rudolph’s head. It dissipated as it hit the cool air, becoming a part of the atmosphere in a process as ephemeral as the thoughts of the one who held the novelty mug. The bay window revealed a breathtaking dawn. Red and yellow streaks colored large, puffy clouds in a display meant to celebrate the importance of the day.

How many times had he come down the stairs to find Tommy in this very chair, drinking coffee out of that stupid Rudolph mug, staring out the window with that hint of a smile that never failed to make him weak in the knees? Dean wondered. He cradled both hands around the mug, hoping the heat radiating through his palms would reach his heart.

This was Tommy’s favorite time of day. Dean never could stand to get up early, while Tommy was up at the crack of dawn every day, sipping coffee in front of the bay window. It was his ‘me’ time, he explained. He could read, write, or just sit with his thoughts and prepare for the day. Dean would stumble down the stairs a couple of hours later, mumbling for coffee—which would be waiting for him, cream and two sugars already added—before joining Tommy in the living room to sit in silence and let the caffeine do its job. It was never an uncomfortable silence. Just being in Tommy’s presence was enough for Dean.

He sighed, setting the untouched beverage on the end table next to the recliner. Christmas was the one morning he got up as early as Tommy. They would make a pot of coffee and sip it as they ate the cookies left out for Santa the night before. It was never a long wait before their daughter came bounding down the stairs, eager to see what Santa had left her under the tree.

She never lost that enthusiasm for the excitement of the day, even as a sullen teenager. Every Christmas morning she was up as early as they were. The tradition was to open their stockings, then tear into the pile of presents that seemed to get bigger every year. After opening presents, Tommy and Dean would head into the kitchen to prepare a breakfast feast—quiche, homemade chocolate chip muffins, bacon, and sausage.

A tear slid down Dean’s cheek as he thought of the groceries that now sat in the fridge. He wasn’t sure he’d have the strength to make their favorite meal this year. He wiped it away as the sound of soft footsteps drew his attention. Ashley was sixteen now and looked so grown-up as she descended the stairs that it made Dean long for time to slow down so he could enjoy his little girl just a bit longer.

“Morning, Dad. Merry Christmas,” she said, then leaned down and kissed his cheek. “How are you holding up?”

“I’m not going to lie, sweetheart. It’s been tough.”

She nodded. “I know...it’s been tough on all of us.” She reached under the tree and withdrew a colorful, rectangular package. She caressed it briefly before handing it to her father.

“What’s this? We usually open our stockings first.”

“You need to open this one first, Dad,” she said softly.

Dean carefully removed the wrapping, undoing each piece of tape one a time.

“Oh my God, Dad…you always open them so slow! Just tear it open!”

Dean smiled. Tommy had always said the same thing. He finished removing the wrapping paper and carefully lifted the white lid off the thin, cardboard box. His stomach lurched when he saw the sweater nestled carefully inside. He closed his eyes and placed his hand on the fabric to still his trembling. When he reopened his eyes, his heart skipped a beat as he looked into the sympathetic emerald orbs of his daughter—a color that was as familiar to him as his own breath.

“Where did you find this?” he whispered.

“In the back of your closet. You haven’t worn it once this season.”

“I thought you hated this sweater.”

She laughed. “It’s the ugliest thing I’ve ever seen. But I can’t imagine spending a Christmas without you wearing it.”

Dean removed the sweater and clutched it to his chest. The scent of Tommy’s cologne was too much for him, and he balled his hands into fists around the bright red fabric as he dissolved into sobs. Ashley was by his side immediately, and threw her arms around him as they expressed their grief together.

“I miss him so much, Dad,” she said.

“So do I, sweetheart. Every day.”

“He would want you to wear it.”

He nodded. “I know. It’s just hard to remember. Do you know the story behind the sweater?”

Ashley smiled. “Yeah. He told me last Christmas after I made a comment about how much I hated it.”

She took it from him and held it up. Fuzzy snowmen dressed in scarves and top hats decorated a yarn Christmas tree. It had real bells and a plastic star sewn on the top of the tree. It was hideous even by ugly sweater standards.

“It is awful, isn’t it?” Dean admitted.

“Yeah, it sure is.” She rose from the chair. “Want another cup of coffee?”

He shook his head. “I haven’t even finished this one.”

“OK. I’m going to get myself a cup.”

Ashley retreated to the kitchen as Dean’s thoughts turned to the time he first met Tommy. He was sixteen years old and had received the sweater as a present from his grandmother. After many arguments and teenage tantrums, his mother had won the ‘battle of the sweater’ and made Dean wear it to their annual neighborhood Christmas party. That was where he met his new neighbors from across the street and their beautiful, green-eyed son.

He would never forget how mortified he was when the other boy looked him over, then said “Nice sweater,” with a barely concealed smirk. There was a spark in those emerald eyes that had drawn him in, resulting in friendship, a relationship, then a marriage that lasted over ten years. Dean wore the sweater every Christmas. First as a joke, then it became tradition. Now that Tommy was gone, he had stuffed it in the back of his closet, afraid of the memories. As painful as it was to remember, he was glad that Ashley had found it.

“We have to honor our traditions, Dad. Pop always said that. There are so many good times that we can’t forget. I know it hurts, but it hurts more to keep them locked away.”

“How did I get such a wise daughter?” Dean had never been prouder of her.

“Easy…from two very wise fathers. Now, let’s open our stockings so we can start on breakfast. I’m starving.”

This was Door#1. We hope you enjoyed our first piece! Who do you think is the author? We thought it would be fun to let you guys guess. Please leave a like or review and let us know your thoughts. The authors will be revealed every Saturday.
If you want to learn more, or guess who wrote what, make sure you swing by the story topic An Advent Calendar 2016 posted by Valkyrie.
Copyright © 2016 aditus, Cole Matthews, Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 32
  • Love 1
  • Sad 3
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



  • Site Moderator

The 'Fugly Sweater' - everyone does have one, right? :P
Wonderful story and I don't even mind the flood it caused.
As for who wrote this? My guess is Cole.
:thumbup::thumbup:

Link to comment

First, I enjoyed the story. As Valkyrie suggested, the holidays are a kind of melancholy time of year because we think about all those previous years and those who are no longer around to celebrate with us. (This Thanksgiving, neither of my brothers' families were here. I ate Thanksgiving Dinner with my cousin and her family, two aunts, and an uncle. But I missed seeing my nieces and nephews.)

 

But holidays are good times to visit relatives. My cousin's kids are my youngest niece's age and younger, but even the younger daughter is looking more like a young lady than the fourteen year old that she is. I feel so old!

 

I'm not going to even attempt to guess who wrote this. I'm at a distinct disadvantage having only read Cole's work.

Link to comment

I really liked this first installment. Kinda bittersweet, but nicely written. Don't know any of your writing, so can't guess an author. I'll have to read something by each of you. Maybe then I could guess. Thank you. Jeff

Link to comment

Doesn't matter who wrote this, it was lovely. The poignancy of that first Christmas alone struck me particularly hard as I'd sat with my mum as she wept over than pain of losing my step-dad. It's her first Christmas without him. We too, are embracing traditions and memories. Thank you for sharing this.

Link to comment

How I remember the many Advent Calendars we have had...and the ugly sweaters I have endured. But this one is surely special, despite the tears and the hurt it brings. Thanks for this poignant snapshot of sorrow and healing.

Link to comment

A great beginning... sad, but that is part of the holidays too. We have to remember those who are gone, and face the tough memories, for those are often the most special and beautiful. My guess is Cole wrote this. I'm pretty sure of it, but I'm often wrong :) . Cheers... Gary....

Link to comment

Damn, I'm crying. :,(

 

For a rather melancholy tale, I love that it can have levity- I smiled with Dean, when Ashley said, “Oh my God, Dad…you always open them so slow! Just tear it open!”
I agree with Ashley, it would hurt a whole lot more to let their traditions fall to the wayside. So, thank you whoever wrote this. :hug: This was a wonderful story and a perfect debut for the Advent Calendar. :)

 


PS: I'm not gonna hazard a guess on the author, 'cause I suck at guessing, lol.

Link to comment

Ok, after wiping the salt water off my keyboard, I can review.

 

What a beautiful story. The first holidays after losing a loved one are certainly the hardest. I remember when my dad died; my mom was still a basket case six months later at Thanksgiving (and totally understandable). Then when my mom died many years later, I had to adapt to my 'new normal' and celebrate all the holidays without her.

 

The holidays are also a time of mourning when a relationship ends, and all the get-togethers you used to have with both sides of the family suddenly stop.

 

Now that I've made myself depressed all over again, I'll shut up.

 

Awesome story whomever wrote it! :) It's so much fun reading all the guesses! :P

Link to comment

That's the thing about holidays, isn't it? All the flooding memories, both good and bad. An important message to focus on the good and let them carry you through the bad. Besides, a good cry never hurt anyone.

 

As for writer, I'd say Valkyrie. Maybe the bay window is tricking me or the piping hot coffee... ;)

Link to comment

"Regrets, I've had a few" ... (actually I have many), but this is a song that my uncle almost always sings at his birthday party ... (we like our karaoke over here) ... Now it becomes a song he used to sing as he passed away a week ago. Christmas for us is a time for family gathering without a lot of religious overtones (a gathering that my cousin, my Uncle's daughter would host) but this Christmas it wouldn't be the same ...

 

Thank you for such a poignant story that speaks to each of us in a different way !
:,(

Link to comment
On 12/01/2016 06:10 PM, Reader1810 said:

The 'Fugly Sweater' - everyone does have one, right? :P

Wonderful story and I don't even mind the flood it caused.

As for who wrote this? My guess is Cole.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Valkyrie: I have had several fugly sweaters throughout the years… lol What would Christmas be without a little kitsch? ;) I’m glad you enjoyed it and am flattered you thought it was Cole’s work. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/01/2016 06:33 PM, droughtquake said:

First, I enjoyed the story. As Valkyrie suggested, the holidays are a kind of melancholy time of year because we think about all those previous years and those who are no longer around to celebrate with us. (This Thanksgiving, neither of my brothers' families were here. I ate Thanksgiving Dinner with my cousin and her family, two aunts, and an uncle. But I missed seeing my nieces and nephews.)

 

But holidays are good times to visit relatives. My cousin's kids are my youngest niece's age and younger, but even the younger daughter is looking more like a young lady than the fourteen year old that she is. I feel so old!

 

I'm not going to even attempt to guess who wrote this. I'm at a distinct disadvantage having only read Cole's work.

Valkyrie: Well now you’re going to have to read my and Aditus’ stories too… ;) lol I can relate a lot to your experience. My family has undergone a lot of changes over the past few years, and it can be very bittersweet to relive some of those memories. A lot of our traditions have fallen by the wayside, and I think it’s due to being too painful to continue them without certain family members. This is the first year I’ve been able to embrace the positive and the memories without being too maudlin. Thanks for the great review and for being so active in the discussion thread. It’s nice to hear about others’ experiences. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/01/2016 07:39 PM, JeffreyL said:

I really liked this first installment. Kinda bittersweet, but nicely written. Don't know any of your writing, so can't guess an author. I'll have to read something by each of you. Maybe then I could guess. Thank you. Jeff

Valkyrie: Thanks so much. I’m glad you liked the story. Thanks for the review!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/01/2016 10:43 PM, avidreadr said:

A wonderful story but it had me in tears. No idea who wrote it but I look forward to reading more.

Valkyrie: Thank you :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/02/2016 12:45 AM, dughlas said:

Doesn't matter who wrote this, it was lovely. The poignancy of that first Christmas alone struck me particularly hard as I'd sat with my mum as she wept over than pain of losing my step-dad. It's her first Christmas without him. We too, are embracing traditions and memories. Thank you for sharing this.

Valkyrie: I’m sorry you can relate to this on such a personal level. Thank you for the lovely review. :hug:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/02/2016 03:02 AM, Parker Owens said:

How I remember the many Advent Calendars we have had...and the ugly sweaters I have endured. But this one is surely special, despite the tears and the hurt it brings. Thanks for this poignant snapshot of sorrow and healing.

Thank you for reading and reviewing. I appreciate your support and am glad you could relate to the story. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/02/2016 04:56 AM, Headstall said:

A great beginning... sad, but that is part of the holidays too. We have to remember those who are gone, and face the tough memories, for those are often the most special and beautiful. My guess is Cole wrote this. I'm pretty sure of it, but I'm often wrong :) . Cheers... Gary....

Valkyrie: A lot of people guessed Cole ;) I’m going to assume that means I was successful in conveying the emotion of the piece, since that is one of Cole’s fortes. Thanks for the review. I’m glad you liked it. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/02/2016 05:51 AM, AC Benus said:

A touching piece. I guess this one is by Valkyrie

Valkyrie: Ding ding ding! We have a winner! Lol You are the only one (as of the time I wrote this) that guessed correctly. Thanks for reading :) I’m glad you liked it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/02/2016 09:00 AM, Mikiesboy said:

Nice. Cole i think ...

Valkyrie: :gikkle: Another Cole guess :) Thanks for reading. I’m glad you liked it. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..