Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2011 - Winter - Aftermath Entry

A Cold Rain - 1. Chapter 1

A special thanks to he who shall not be named for convincing me to go ahead and post this.
Note the term 'veshe' used in the body of the story means 'gay'

A Cold Rain

 

 

 


 

 

Rain. I couldn't remember rain like this in years. Doing lunges with a hundred pounds of wood on my shoulders when the ground was a slushy mud pushed me to my limits. Probably why my father sent me out tonight. 'Punishment that is easy is no punishment,' he told me my first day of training. This time, I didn't care the punishment was hard; I deserved it.

All I had to do was protect our guest, Prince Stefren of Gillium, while he visited the school. I failed. Only luck and the will of the Twins prevented Stefren from capture or death. That I nearly died saving him didn't matter; there wouldn't have been a need to rescue him if I'd done my job.

If it were possible, it felt like it started raining harder. There wasn't a single part of me that was dry, and I still had hours to go. Not only was it pouring, it was a cold rain, the kind that saps your energy if you're out in it too long. Hopefully I the strength to make it all night.

Letting the six-foot log fall from my back, I pushed aside any thought of failure. Not again. I would complete my punishment.

Despite the futility of it, I wiped the water from my face and pushed a stray lock of brown hair back behind my ear. How could I have let Father down like this? Just two weeks ago, I celebrated my eighteenth year by receiving my green Haske; I was now a First Order Dlgen, a Warrior Lord, touched by the Twins. Father's smile was so wide; I thought his face might split.

Then he showed up. Arrogant, pompous, full of himself; all the things Father taught me to avoid. My first task as a Dlgen was to guard the Prince. It was as simple as it was easy. Inside the walled compound of the school, Stefren wouldn't need protecting. Little did I know guarding the Prince meant keeping him inside the walls.

What struck me most was my father's demeanor. Normally, punishment had anger as a companion; specifically his anger toward me. As Fenzu, head of the academy, he should have been furious and expelled me; or worse. Banishment would have hurt less than disappointing Father. Fortunately, I saved Stefren, or Fenzu might have sent me away.

The image of Stefren dead or bound seized my heart. Foolish, stupid, childish. Why did I keep thinking of him? I was such a fool. What would a prince of Gillium see in me? Despite being the son of Telg, the only living Dlgen of the Fifth Order, I was still the same peasant boy I'd been before Father adopted me. Even my status as Dlgen didn't make me worthy of Stefren's attention.

Maybe the punishment would finally free me of those unwanted thoughts. Focusing on the exercises, I could let my mind go blank. All that mattered was the form and the movements. Don't slip, don't falter, don't give up.

Stepping between a pair of seven-foot poles, set arms length apart, I groaned. This was the hardest exercise of the set. Leaping, I placed a hand on top of each pole and held myself steady. Iron Cross it's called. More like Fenzu's torture. Two minutes like this, followed by ten minutes in a plank position. Then I could rest before starting over again.

Water ran through my clothes and down each leg in small streams as I struggled to keep my body still. I heard the water spatter, pooling below my feet. At least Stefren was warm and dry. I wondered if he thought about me. Did he even notice I was missing?

"Stop thinking about him." There was no one to hear it, but it felt good to say.

"Who are you talking to?" Stefren's voice, barely audible over the sheets of rain, almost sent me flailing to the ground. Thankfully, it was dark, or he'd have seen me turn red.

I wanted to turn left, to see his expression, but I had a minute remaining and my arms were already tiring. Why would he leave the house on a night like this? "What are you doing out here?"

"Looking for you." Almost shouting, his voice was angry.

Fine time to decide to stick close. If he hadn't run off, I wouldn't be in trouble. "Why? Did you come to gloat?"

"Gloat?" Now he was shouting. "What does that mean?"

I rolled my eyes, the only movement I could make without adding to my struggle. "I'm here because of you." No, it wasn't his fault I failed. The blame was all mine, but it still annoyed me he came to find me. "Did you come to watch me do my punishment?"

My arms started to shake, and I gritted my teeth. He wouldn't see me fall.

"Punishment? What does that have to do with me?" I almost believed the indignation in his tone.

Waiting until my time was up, I dropped from my perch. Despite my fatigue, I landed with almost no sound; I was still a Dlgen.

"You ran off without me." I slicked my hair back from my face. "My job was to guard and protect you all the time, not just when you tolerate my presence. Fenzu is punishing me for my failure."

"Tolerate?" Rivulets of water ran down his face, begging me to brush them aside. "You think I tolerate you?"

"No Stefren, I know you don't." It hurt to admit it out loud. Why did I have these ridiculous desires around him? I was nothing to him; a nobody. Inches apart, I was sure he could see the disappointment in my face. "But I was supposed to keep you safe. You were almost captured, or worse, because I let you slip away without noticing."

I needed to stop staring at him or I'd further embarrass myself. Dropping to the mud, I assumed a plank position. Arms stiff, legs and back straight, the routine called for ten minutes without moving. If the rain hadn't been so cold, it would have been easy.

"Harlin." He squatted, trying to get closer to my head. "What are you doing?"

"Fenzu ordered me to do the Dlgen conditioning routine from dusk until dawn tonight, and every night, until he tells me to stop. This is the last exercise of the set." All I wanted was for him to leave. It was humiliating enough to be punished for my failure, but for him to stand over me, watching as I carried it out, was shameful.

"All night? Has Telg lost his mind? That's a death sentence."

I kept my eyes down. "Then I'll die." Fenzu ordered it. What else was there to say?

"This is wrong." He stood up, but I could feel his eyes on me. What was wrong? The position was perfect and my body completely rigid. "I'm going to find your father and tell him to end this foolishness."

"No!" I leapt up before he could leave. Breaking the routine would earn me more punishment, but I couldn't let him dishonor me further. "Stay out of this, please. I know you hate me, but at least leave me what's left of my dignity."

"Hate you?" In the rain, I could barely hear him.

A nervous laugh ripped from my throat. The last thing I wanted was to antagonize him, but it came out before I could stop it. "What, did you think I didn't notice that you think I'm a stupid peasant? One who rode his adoptive father's wake to a position of respect? I see how you can't stand to look at me, how you turn your head the moment I come into view. I know how much you despise being forced to stay in my room and share the same bed."

My stomach tightened even as my pulse hastened. Here was his chance to get back at me. "But, please don't do this. I'll do anything you ask; sleep outside, walk far enough away that people won't see me, anything. Just don't ask my father to end my punishment."

"What are you talking about?" Water sprayed from his lips as he spoke. "You just got better. This will kill you."

"Then it's what I deserve for my failure." How could he not see that? "Why do you even care? You'll be rid of me if I die. Go back inside and forget about me. If I survive, you won't know I'm around ever again."

I stared into his eyes, hoping, praying to the Twins, he'd listen. There was something there I didn't understand. Almost like he was sad.

"If it means that much to you, I won't talk to your father." He nodded twice, and took one step back. "But I'm staying out here until you're done."

"Why?" Why couldn't he leave so I could be alone with my shame? Sure, the other students knew, but they weren't standing around watching. "Stefren, I know you loathe me, and I'm sorry you're stuck with me as a guard, but please leave me alone. Fenzu's disappointment hurts enough, don't add to it. Please, go inside."

"Not until you explain why you want to get rid of me." He stood in front of me, forcing me to move to the side to resume my position. Fenzu would know I didn't complete the exercises properly, but it would be worse if I stopped completely.

"If you want to get soaked, that's your choice." My hands landed in a puddle of water, covering them almost to the wrist. They would be numb before I finished the full ten minutes.

"What's wrong with you?" He took two steps toward the house then spun around. "I didn't sit at your bedside for three days, making sure you didn't die from your wounds, only to watch you kill yourself."

"There's nothing wrong with me." My teeth started to chatter and I couldn't stop it. "Fenzu ordered me to do this. There is nothing to do, but obey. If he asked me to stop an arrow with my chest, I would."

"How can you say that?" He sounded like I said the Twins weren't real. "If he ordered you to kill yourself, you'd toss your life away, just like that?"

"Yes." I heard the conviction in my voice because I meant it. "You wouldn't understand."

"Then make me understand!" Again he squatted down, trying to get me to look at his face. "You’re talking nonsense."

"He is Fenzu, that's enough. But he also saved my life. The boys in my village were beating me because they learned I was veshe. Telg arrived during the attack and stopped them. He has called me 'son' since that day. Whatever he asks, I do without question."

"Harlin, that's crazy. You don't owe him your life."

"Yes, I do!" I tilted my head, so he could see my face. "You don't understand because you've always been wanted. I haven't. My birth parents didn't wanted me. I was twelve when they cast me out because I was veshe. If I didn't marry a woman, I wouldn't bring them a dowry. That's all they wanted me for, money. Fenzu loves me for who I am; treats me like the son he never had. I trust him completely. He would never hurt me on a whim or ask me to do something without a good reason."

I snorted to clear the water from my nose. "For six years he's been my father and done nothing that wasn't for my own good. Even if you or I can't see it, there is a reason for this punishment. Just as there would be a reason if I died. I will not challenge that now."

"Fine, but I'm going to stay here and make sure you're okay."

My arms quivered, and I couldn't spare the effort to shake my head. "You make no sense. What do you want from me?"

"I want to know why you're trying to get rid of me when I'm trying to help."

"By the Twins!" He made me crazy. "You want to know why?"

"Yes!" His scream was nearly drowned out by the rain.

"Because it hurts, that's why." I stood up. Didn't matter anymore, I'd already violated the routine. "It hurts to be around you. I know you don't like me, but I can't stop thinking about you. I've done things, said things, hoping you'd smile at me because it made me feel good. Yes, I know, I'm a fool, but I can't help myself. Even though you walk away whenever I get close, or turn around at night, so you don't have to look at me, I can't help it.

"Every time you smile at me, I want you more. I try harder and all that does is make you hate me more. Maybe I want Fenzu's punishment to kill me, because that's probably the only way I'll accept I never had, and never will have, any hope of being with you the way I want."

Stefren's mouth was slightly open as water ran down his face. I'd said too much. The Twins help me, I was such a fool. Why didn't they let me die from my injuries so I couldn't humiliate myself like this? With nothing else to do, I moved toward the first station to start the routine again.

"Harlin…." I wasn't sure if I heard him call me at first. "Harlin, stop, please."

I knew I shouldn't, but I stopped. After what I said, I couldn't face him, but I couldn't keep going either. Even with the rush of water falling around us, I could hear his foot falls.

"I turned away because I thought you didn't like me." He was barely inches from me when he spoke. "I'd leave whenever you showed up so you wouldn't have to be around me. Ever since my first day here, when you took me to your spot by the river, I think I've been in love with you."

Now I knew he was playing me. By morning, the entire school would know what a fool I'd become. "How could you think that? I did everything I could to show you how much I liked you."

"After we went swimming, you took me to your eighteenth year celebration." His voice seemed thick, as if recounting the story hurt. "I went to get us drinks and when everyone thought I was gone, someone asked you why you brought me to your party. Only I came back to ask you something and I heard the question and your answer. You told them because 'Fenzu told me to’. Everyone laughed and gave you their condolences." I could hear him suck in air, as if he were trying to keep control. "Doesn't get much clearer that you didn't want me around, but you brought me out of obligation. I knew then that you weren't really my friend, that you were just doing what you were told. Why would I stick around if you don't want me? I'm not a total jerk."

"Stefren…" Now I struggled to control my emotions. I finally turned around. "You left right after I said that, didn't you?"

"Yes." He kept his eyes down, still hurt by my words.

"Then you missed the rest of my answer." Gods how did everything get so messed up?

"The rest?"

"Yes, there was more." I put my hands on his face to make him look at me. "Once I got the others to shut up, I told them at first I asked you because Fenzu wanted me to, but that after spending the day together, I saw a different side of you; one I liked. I asked them to try to be nicer to you, because I liked you; a lot." There, I finally told him. "And right after the party is when you started to ignore me."

"I didn't know." I couldn't tell if he was crying, but he seemed sad. "Harlin, I'm so sorry…."

I leaned closer and kissed him. Quick, clumsy, awkward. My first kiss, ever. When I started to moved away, he grabbed the back of my head to keep us together. When our lips met again, I had no idea what to do, so I pulled back.

"Stefren…." I felt so uncertain, and I'm sure he noticed.

"What's wrong?"

Embarrassed, I knew I needed to tell him. "I…I don't know what to do."

"Do?" Now he looked confused. "Isn't this what you wanted?"

"The Twins know, yes, but I've … " Why was it so hard to just tell him. "I've never kissed anyone before. I don't…."

His doubt gave way to a huge grin and he took my face in his hands. "Just shut up and kiss me again."

Before I could answer, he covered my mouth with his. I never felt so weak and so excited at the same time. My body shook from the endorphins, as if I'd just finished a practice fight.

Time lost meaning and I would have stayed like that until our lips were sore, but I sensed a presence behind me. Tearing myself away, I ignored the hurt in Stefren's face as I turned around.

"Fenzu, I…."

"Harlin." Father's voice shook me. I'd failed him again.

"I'm sorry, it was wrong to stop. I'll start again immediately." The first station was across the yard, and I moved off without looking at either of them.

"No!" Stefren yelled. "Harlin, stop!"

I turned to face him. "Stefren, don't. It is his right as Fenzu and my father."

"Telg, this is wrong." He pushed his hair off his face and stepped closer to my father. "I'm the one who should be punished, not him."

"You think to lecture me on how best to handle my son and student?" Father gave him a stare that made strong warriors wilt. Perhaps it was the rain in his eyes or his feelings for me, but Stefren showed no change.

"Harlin almost died saving me and you send him out in this weather to punish him? If that is what you feel is best for him, then yes, I will lecture you."

I wanted to yell at Stefren to stop and kiss him at the same time. Instead, I just watched.

"Harlin's task is to guard you, with his life if necessary. How can he do that if he fails to keep watch over you?" Father was explaining himself? To Stefren? If I or any other student talked back to him, we'd be taken to the practice field and beaten for our insolence. Yet he seemed so indifferent. "He is out here as a reminder of his failure."

"I'm the reason he failed. I snuck out while he slept. How can you blame him for that?"

"Stefren," I hissed. "Enough. Fenzu's reasons are not for us to question."

"No, Harlin, I can't let it go." He tore his eyes from my father to look at me. "Nearly losing you once is too much. If I have to fight to keep you safe, I will."

Somehow, I found his hands with mine. "Nothing will happen to me, I promise. I don't want to lose you either. Believe that I won't die tonight, if only because I don't want to leave you."

"Are you two finished?" Father stood with his fists on his hips.

"Sorry, Fenzu," I bowed quickly. "I'll start now."

Stefren squeezed my nearly numb hand tighter. "If you go, then I'm coming with you."

"No!" We both turned as Father stepped through the mud.

Standing between us, Stefren glared at my father. "If you insist on punishing Harlin, I'm staying with him."

Water flowed off my face as I stared at my father, praying to the Twins he didn't hurt Stefren. "You miss the point. This lesson is not about blame or fault, it is about importance; yours and the task Harlin was given. He should have had a plan in place in case you tried to sneak off, but he did not."

"Don't you care that he could die?" Stefren's posture was stiff and his words bordered on disrespect. No, they were disrespectful. "He thinks you love him, but you don't if this is how you treat him."

I've never been afraid of my father, but I was at that moment. Stefren just challenged him. No one did that and lived. Moving quickly, I got in front of Stefren and knelt in the cold mud.

"Father, the fault is mine; Stefren does not deserve to be punished. Spare him, and I'll accept the consequences for us both."

"Harlin…." Stefren tried to pull me up, but I shrugged off his hand and kept my head down in a sign of submission and respect.

Father's boots came into view, and I tried not to flinch, waiting for his blow. I swallowed loudly just before his hand touched my face. Not a strike, but a gentle touch to tilt my head up.

"There shall be no more punishment, my son." The pressure from his hand told me to stand. Eye to eye, he finally smiled. "This was the purpose of your lesson. You two needed to speak, to work out this foolish dance you were doing around each other. I wanted you both to realize how much you meant to each other. Having succeeded, I am canceling the rest of the lesson and sending you both inside to get warm."

Glancing to my right, Stefren and I exchanged confused looks. A thick hand gripped my shoulder and I saw another grabbed Stefren's as well.

"I've always been proud of you, Harlin. From the day I adopted you, I knew you were special. Never have you given me reason to doubt that." He squeezed my shoulder tighter.

"But you, young Stefren, tonight you are worthy to be called Prince. The selflessness to risk something, everything, for someone else is the lesson I needed you to learn. Harlin is my greatest treasure and only someone who would risk everything for him could have my approval."

Cold, soaked to the skin, tired from my illness and the exercise, and emotionally drained, I felt ready to pass out. Before I could move, Father pulled us both into a hug, pressing Stefren into my side. As his hand let go, my legs buckled.

Stefren's arms appeared from nowhere to hold me up. "Harlin, are you okay?"

I tried to nod, but that made the ground spin. "Tired," I whispered, calling on all my will to keep on my feet.

"Inside, both of you." Father reached out, but moved back as Stefren pulled me closer. "Staff has already heated water for you."

Propped against his side, Stefren helped me walk toward the baths. After a few steps, I didn't need his help, but I made no move to let go.

Father was gone when we reached the door to the baths. With a smirk, I pushed the door open nd was met by a blast of warm, moist air. "Alone with a warm bath drawn. I hope you're thinking what I am."

Stefren raised his eyebrows and smiled. Closing the door, we had only the light from a few candles. "Only one way to find out."

 

 

Discuss this story

maybe in time I get to creating this series of stories. The idea was to have 6 books. Each would follow Harlin and Stefren on their journey/adventure. But as with everything, time is the key.
Copyright © 2011 Andrew Q Gordon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2011 - Winter - Aftermath Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Well, I. for one would love to hear more about these two. I loved the story. It was so fluid and easy to read. Everything unfolded gently and beautifully. I love your writing.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/17/2011 04:10 AM, Nephylim said:
Well, I. for one would love to hear more about these two. I loved the story. It was so fluid and easy to read. Everything unfolded gently and beautifully. I love your writing.
Thanks Nephy. There is a lot to this one, but it is on my 'list' of stories to work on. It's a toss up, feed baby q or write, Hmm. :P

 

Thanks for the comments - glad you liked it. -- -- Andy

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I loved the way you described Harlin's complete devotion to his father. He just "knew" his father would't act out of simple malice or revenge. It was hard to hold back my contempt for the father, but I sensed something else was at play here.

When Harlin finally bared his soul to Stefren...well, that moment of vulnerability was such a sweetness, but painfully so. It tugged at my heart. wub.png

I felt Telg's pride in Harlin. The pride only a father can feel for a son. For any son, it is perhaps the ultimate gift.

The dialogue between Harlin and Stefren was incredibly skillful. You took them from a place where their feelings for each other and their "misunderstanding" were unknown to the other (and to the reader) to a place, well, to the kiss. wub.png It was a fine weave.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/17/2011 06:40 AM, Conner said:
I loved the way you described Harlin's complete devotion to his father. He just "knew" his father would't act out of simple malice or revenge. It was hard to hold back my contempt for the father, but I sensed something else was at play here.

When Harlin finally bared his soul to Stefren...well, that moment of vulnerability was such a sweetness, but painfully so. It tugged at my heart. wub.png

I felt Telg's pride in Harlin. The pride only a father can feel for a son. For any son, it is perhaps the ultimate gift.

The dialogue between Harlin and Stefren was incredibly skillful. You took them from a place where their feelings for each other and their "misunderstanding" were unknown to the other (and to the reader) to a place, well, to the kiss. wub.png It was a fine weave.

Thanks Connor glad you enjoyed it. The "Telg" Character has quite a lot left in him if I ever get around to writing the entire story. While I can understand the feelings of contempt for him at this point if I ever got around to writing the entire story I don't think you would feel that way when you read this chapter. In theory, there is a whole lot more to this the small chapter, but like I keep saying we need to find time to write.

 

Thanks again for reading and for the comments.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Hey Andy, great concept as usual :). There is definitely the basis here, and I do hope you get around to writing it. Trouble is, as I only read 'completes' ( and, need I remind you, I'm still waiting for the verdict and sentence ;) ), I suspect Baby Q May be celebrating a major birthday before I get to read it :P

 

It was interesting reading this, though. It was a scene setter, as well as a short, as well as a tease. This meant you tried to do an awful lot of things in one short space ... introduce characters, structural features, language, and culture, all in one small space. It got a bit crowded, unfortunately. But, given the longer term intentions, that can be forgiven :P

 

I liked Harlin. Hard nosed, determined, open. OK, so a bit naïve, but what the hell!! Stefren ... fop! I hate him already, lol. Imagine that! But, pethaps by my fifty fith birthday, you'll have convinced me otherwise. I surely hope so.

 

I also liked the rain. I could almost hear it. It really added a sense of fight and resistance.

 

BTW, there is a very easy way to explain Veshe ... I'll pm you, when I have a minute.

 

D

 

PS I liked your method of your foible, this time. You usually don't let us get to see beyond the closed doors. This time you let us in. And it was all steamy, too ;) And then you turned the lights out. Crafty git!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

You have a whole new world you have opened up with this one, Andy. I can't wait to see where you plan to take it. I loved how the faith Harlin has in his father is rewarded. I love the fact that Stef stands up to him for Harlin. The two really needed to get past the walls they had built. I love this story and can't wait to see more of it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

It is really interesting to read, Fantasy stories have a rich array of characters. I love your story, because I can see this in how each character represents their side or perspective.

 

Harlin is noble, but naive. Stephen is loving, but inexperienced. Fenzu is caring, but insensitive.

 

Seriously, keeping developing this universe and try to get the characters toward a deeper connection. I want to know more about these twins, who are they? Is Stephen the chosen heir to the throne or is he destined to be a warrior prince? Are there other kingdoms? Is Fenzu part of a Fantasy based Secret service or is what he does more like the ninjas of Japan, protection at price for anyone without fealty?

 

Please keep it coming

  • Like 2
Link to comment

The thing with some Fantasy stories is that they are so out of the world that they sometimes become incomprehensive. This was great write and made for a splendid reading, too.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/17/2011 04:11 PM, Michael9344 said:
The thing with some Fantasy stories is that they are so out of the world that they sometimes become incomprehensive. This was great write and made for a splendid reading, too.
Michael,

 

You're right, fantasy and sci-fi are harder to write in many ways because you have to balance 'world building' and explaining the world, with character development and plot. Glad you enjoyed this.

 

Andy

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/17/2011 01:34 PM, comicfan said:
You have a whole new world you have opened up with this one, Andy. I can't wait to see where you plan to take it. I loved how the faith Harlin has in his father is rewarded. I love the fact that Stef stands up to him for Harlin. The two really needed to get past the walls they had built. I love this story and can't wait to see more of it.
Wayne, Thanks for reading. As I've said/will say, this is but a small snippet of the entire story. Stefren is a product of his upbringing - the Royal Court, complete with its intrigue and suspicious attitudes. Harlin is, as W.L. said, naive in many ways, but also still suffering from the rejection of his parents. His 'hero' worship for his father is an element of his personality - good or bad. I envision this as about 1/3 to 1/2 way through book 1, but that's all just speculation at this point, I don't have more than 15K written so far. Ugh, I need three mes to write this all down. LOL
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/17/2011 02:05 PM, W_L said:
It is really interesting to read, Fantasy stories have a rich array of characters. I love your story, because I can see this in how each character represents their side or perspective.

 

Harlin is noble, but naive. Stephen is loving, but inexperienced. Fenzu is caring, but insensitive.

 

Seriously, keeping developing this universe and try to get the characters toward a deeper connection. I want to know more about these twins, who are they? Is Stephen the chosen heir to the throne or is he destined to be a warrior prince? Are there other kingdoms? Is Fenzu part of a Fantasy based Secret service or is what he does more like the ninjas of Japan, protection at price for anyone without fealty?

 

Please keep it coming

I love and hate Fantasy writing, on the one hand you get to 'change' things - i.e. being gay is 'whatever' in this world, for the most part, on the other hand, you have to develop and stick to the underpinnings of the world. Fun, but tedious and tough sometimes.

 

Answers: Stefren is the King's nephew and not in line for succession; Many other kingdoms; Fenzu is akin to Sensei - he is the head master of the Dojo where the fighters train; Dlgen are touched by the Twins (Gods) and are called to be above petty interkingdom spats. They are long lived, and very strong, fast, proficient. There is a lot more but unless and until I write it, I'm not going to give it away yet.

 

Last - Harlin I think you have right, but add in broken still, Stefren is not inexperienced, more like unhappy with the loveless life he's had so far. His family is more interested in court intrigue than him as a person. Telg/Fenzu is not insensitive, but he is stern, for good reason, but that is a plot line to be developed in time.

 

Oh well, back to whatever :P

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/17/2011 12:41 PM, Dannsar said:
Hey Andy, great concept as usual :). There is definitely the basis here, and I do hope you get around to writing it. Trouble is, as I only read 'completes' ( and, need I remind you, I'm still waiting for the verdict and sentence ;) ), I suspect Baby Q May be celebrating a major birthday before I get to read it :P

 

It was interesting reading this, though. It was a scene setter, as well as a short, as well as a tease. This meant you tried to do an awful lot of things in one short space ... introduce characters, structural features, language, and culture, all in one small space. It got a bit crowded, unfortunately. But, given the longer term intentions, that can be forgiven :P

 

I liked Harlin. Hard nosed, determined, open. OK, so a bit naïve, but what the hell!! Stefren ... fop! I hate him already, lol. Imagine that! But, pethaps by my fifty fith birthday, you'll have convinced me otherwise. I surely hope so.

 

I also liked the rain. I could almost hear it. It really added a sense of fight and resistance.

 

BTW, there is a very easy way to explain Veshe ... I'll pm you, when I have a minute.

 

D

 

PS I liked your method of your foible, this time. You usually don't let us get to see beyond the closed doors. This time you let us in. And it was all steamy, too ;) And then you turned the lights out. Crafty git!

Woo Hoo!! I passed the Dannsar Read fairly bloodless :P

 

But I have to say, Dag, you're good. I didn't think anyone would get that Stefren came to Fenzu as the epitome of a court dandy, but you saw it - two gold stars for you :D

 

As for the PS, really? I thought I did just about what I always do, get you to where the fun is about to begin, then shut the curtains - don't expect anything more when I write the full story, you'll not know who's dick is bigger, who's top/bttm, if they do that, etc. So not necessary for this type of story.

 

Where's my PM with the 'Veshe' explanation? :huh:

 

Thanks for the comments, as always, I look forward to them.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I echo the other's...I want to read more. I love how you set it up where Harlin and Stefren each thought the other didn't like him. Then the truth comes out. Followed by a kiss--nice! thumbsup.gif

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Well, the rain sucked me in with only the one word. I love this kind of writer confidence. You see it all the way thru the story.

Enjoyed reading !

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/18/2011 02:38 AM, Foster said:
Well, the rain sucked me in with only the one word. I love this kind of writer confidence. You see it all the way thru the story.

Enjoyed reading !

Thanks Sam, glad you enjoyed it. hopefully I'll get around to building the story around this.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/18/2011 01:23 AM, K.C. said:
I echo the other's...I want to read more. I love how you set it up where Harlin and Stefren each thought the other didn't like him. Then the truth comes out. Followed by a kiss--nice! thumbsup.gif
KC, I totally want to write this one, just gotta find the time. As for the two dullards unable to see clearly, well being young has that effect on people I suppose - but I'm not sure anymore, I haven't been young in a long time :P
  • Like 2
Link to comment

Q,

This was a nice easy read. Was it the one you were talking about? I hope so, you sound excited about it and it's always fun to write something you are excited about. Looking forward to more about these two. Take your time and do it right.

Anyway, I like it. Keep up the good writing.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/18/2011 03:59 PM, Daddydavek said:
Just wanted to add to the accolades, and it looks like your other readers also want more.

 

Thanks Dave and thanks for the help - Once I finish a few other projects, I intend to get back to this one. I have such strong images of where I want to take this one that I kinda need to get it out or it's gonna make my head explode :P
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/18/2011 08:40 PM, Lugh said:
Q,

This was a nice easy read. Was it the one you were talking about? I hope so, you sound excited about it and it's always fun to write something you are excited about. Looking forward to more about these two. Take your time and do it right.

Anyway, I like it. Keep up the good writing.

Thanks Lugh - yes it is easier to write when you can't get the words out fast enough. I'm not sure if this is the one or not, there are a few floating around, but I wanted to focus on a few things before I devote time to this. Like you said, wanna do it right.

 

Thanks for reading and the comments :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/18/2011 10:54 PM, Dolores Esteban said:
A very good story and beautifully written. I totally liked it.
Thank you Dolores, always love hearing from you :)
  • Like 2
Link to comment

This short story is a perfect example of why I love to year your writing. You have a prosecutor's mind, well organized, direct yet succinc, with enough detail to entertain and keep my interest. Like I said, I am ready for more of this story when you are. What I don't understand is how you have the time to do it all. Multiple stories and a full time baby job -- wow. Concrats of this publication. Thanks.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/21/2011 01:38 PM, GeR said:
This short story is a perfect example of why I love to year your writing. You have a prosecutor's mind, well organized, direct yet succinc, with enough detail to entertain and keep my interest. Like I said, I am ready for more of this story when you are. What I don't understand is how you have the time to do it all. Multiple stories and a full time baby job -- wow. Concrats of this publication. Thanks.
When not changing diapers etc, I can get out a few hundred words at a clip fairly easily, it's stringing them all together in a meaningful way that makes it harder. Glad to see you enjoyed it. Hopefully the 'more' will be sooner than later :)
  • Like 2
Link to comment

Now that's one awesome story. Fluidity of thoughts, emotions and situations. And the best part was the simplicity of the language accompanied with simple but vivid description. Loved it! :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..