Jump to content
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Backwoods Reflections - 2. Limericks on Quotes by Ben Franklin

"Three can keep a secret if two of them are dead." [1]

"Oh, I," said Miss Myrtle Purdue,

"Am the person to tell secrets to;

Though I know them ten years

They'll reach nobody's ears."

In an hour, the whole city knew.
(1963)

 

"Now that I have a sheep and a cow, everybody bids me good morrow." [1]

His wife, when the poor man was dead

Was cared for by friends, it is said,

The rich man should grieve

Since his friends will leave

The minute his will has been read.
(1963)

 

"... that all well-bred people forcibly restrain the efforts of nature to discharge that wind, that so retained ... not only gives pain, but occasions future diseases, such as habitual cholics, ruptures, etc..." [2]

On every man, per nature's code,

Is flatulence freely bestowed;

But those who obsess,

And try to suppress,

Have sometimes been known to explode.
(2023)

[1] Poor Richard's Almanack
[2] A Letter to a Royal Academy about Farting
Copyright © 2023 Backwoods Boy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Love 8
  • Haha 5
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

30 minutes ago, Parker Owens said:

These made me smile and laugh. Thank you for sharing your limericks!

Thanks, Parker.  Sort of a flight of fancy today.  I'll work on something with more substance soon. :) 

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, ReaderPaul said:

Number One is definitely a Franklin Quote, from "Poor Richard's Almanack," of which I have a physical copy I bought about four years ago of the collected "Poor Richard" sayings.

Number Two sounds like Franklin, but I don't remember for sure.

Number Three: Franklin said something about farts.  I don't remember if it was that exact wording.

Good going, @Backwoods Boy.

Thanks for your support and observations, Paul.  To to expand a little, I recently found in my trunk of memorabilia an enlightening collection of poems from my adolescence, most of which were returned to that location to be found by my executor.  The first two limericks were from either a high-school or college assignment.  The second quote, according to internet sources, can be found on page 39 of a 2004 Barnes & Noble edition of Poor Richard's Almanack

The third limerick was inspired by indeterminate recollections about Franklin's perspectives on flatulence.  The quote is apparently the title of an essay written by Carl Japiske, so I have replaced it with a genuine, documentable Franklin quote.  The latter ended with the observations that, compared to the practical applications such as that which he proposes, other sciences are "scarcely worth a FART-THING".

So thanks for one more thing - keeping me honest. :) 

Edited by Backwoods Boy
  • Love 5
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Geron Kees said:

That was fun! Ben Franklin would have done well here! :)

 

Thanks, Geron.  Ben Franklin seems to have had a keen sense of, and low tolerance for foolishness, something I appreciate. :) 

Edited by Backwoods Boy
  • Love 5
Link to comment

Thanks Backwoods Boy.  I have always loved Ben Franklin's humor.  I need the laughs and forgotten where to find them.  Glad you put some them here to remind me.

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
3 hours ago, raven1 said:

Thanks Backwoods Boy.  I have always loved Ben Franklin's humor.  I need the laughs and forgotten where to find them.  Glad you put some them here to remind me.

I'd somewhat forgotten about Ben Franklin until I rediscovered the first two quotes and limericks in my memorabilia, but I need to renew the acquaintance.  A politician/diplomat with intelligence and wit - what a concept.  We could use a few of those these days. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..