Jump to content
    Bill W
  • Author
  • 1,649 Words
  • 1,186 Views
  • 30 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

It's Been a Long Time - 1. Chapter 1 It's Been a Long Time

“I can’t believe its 2053 already,” my husband said after we were seated at the restaurant. “Happy Anniversary, Sweetheart.”

“Yes, the years have flown by, but what I can’t believe is that we’ve been together for fifty years. It’s funny, because I don’t feel old enough to have been with you for that long.”

“But this is only our 36th anniversary.”

“You forget that we were together for twelve years before gay marriage was legal, and then we waited another two years before we got married. It was because your dad was dying of cancer at the time and couldn’t get around very well, and you knew he would try to attend our wedding even if it might endanger his life. We were hoping he might go into remission, seeing he was undergoing radiation treatments and chemotherapy, or possibly researchers would come up with a cure, since they’d been making progress on so many other diseases.”

“Yes, he was having a difficult time as he went through radiation and chemo, and it was just as hard on my mom, because she had to take care of him. I hated to see him die, especially since he’d been so supportive of our relationship when a lot of other gays weren’t as fortunate, but it was almost a relief when he passed away. That’s because I knew he was no longer suffering and finally out of pain, and it also took all that responsibility off of my mom.”

“Yes, it was a difficult time, but at least we gave her something she could smile about when we got married.”

“Yes, that day was the first time I’d seen her smile in a long while, even though her smile might have been a little forced. I believe she was thinking of what it might have been like if my dad was there to celebrate with us.”

“Do you remember when we first met?”

“Yes, we were in college at the time.”

“But do you remember how it happened?”

“I think someone introduced us, but I’ll be damned if I can recall who it was. You know my memory isn’t what it used to be.”

“Yes, that’s quite obvious, because it was one of your friends that set us up on a blind date.”

“That’s right, and then we started seeing each other on a regular basis. We were even able to get summer jobs either on or near the campus that year, so we also agreed to rent an apartment together. We continued to live there during our senior year as well, rather than go back to living in the dorms.”

“And we’ve been living together ever since,” I agreed. “We even looked for jobs in the same city precisely so we could continue being together.”

“Yes, and we wouldn’t have to travel to see each other. And since we’d be living in the same city, it made sense to only pay for one apartment, because we’d be spending so much time together anyway.”

“And the fringe benefits weren’t so bad either.”

“No, they weren’t, but there was no way we could get married back then, not even in a civil ceremony, so having a friend with benefits was the best we could do. It wasn’t just that either, because we were committed to each other and never wandered, even after we had one of our little spats.”

“Oh, I remember a few that weren’t so little, but we always worked through our problems.”

“Yes, one of us always gave so things would go back to normal.”

“Yes, and afterward we would have make-up sex.”

“Yes, and most of the time the make-up sex was incredible.”

“And sometimes I thought you started those disagreements just so we could have make-up sex,” I teased.

“I didn’t start all of the arguments, and we had plenty of sex even when we didn’t argue first.”

“I know, but for some reason the sex always seemed more incredible when we were making up. It was like it released the animal in you.”

“Ok, maybe it did. We usually didn’t have sex while we were fighting, so it was like leading a thirsty horse to water. Sometimes the horse just couldn’t get enough.”

“Yes, I would say that was an apt description for you.” He laughed.

“Ok, maybe I could be a horn dog at times, but I loved it just as much, or possibly even more, when we merely kissed, cuddled, and held hands.”

“Yes, I always enjoyed the times when we were intimate as much or even more than when we were having sex, but most of all I loved being with you. I still owe your friend that set us up on the blind date, because he did me a huge favor. I would never have found someone I love as much as I love you.”

“He did both of us a huge favor and I could never have loved anyone else as much as I love you either. I just wish I could remember who arranged that blind date for us.”

“I do too, because I’d like to thank him in person.”

“Yes, that would be a good idea, if my mind wasn’t so full of holes, like a wheel of Swiss cheese.”

“My memory isn’t quite as bad as yours, but I know what you mean. Occasionally I will find myself looking in the refrigerator and have no idea what I was looking for. At other times I find myself standing in a room and unable to remember if I was just coming into the room or just getting ready to leave. I guess it’s one of those senior discounts – our brains now come with a 5% discount or more.”

“I guess that’s one way of looking at it, but at least we don’t need any of those little blue or yellow pills – well at least not yet.”

“Yes, I guess maybe it is a fair tradeoff. Not being able to remember details or having to make a few extra trips to the bathroom are worth not having E.D. or full-blown dementia. The only thing I don’t ever want to forget is you and all the great times we’ve had together.”

“I can’t think of anything worse than not being able to remember the wonderful life we’ve shared.”

“I think I’d rather be dead than to have that happen to me. I’ve heard about people that can no longer recognize their spouse or their children, and in that case I’d rather be dead.”

“As far as I’m concerned, that’s another form of death, because I can’t think of anything worse either.”

“So, what do you want to do when we get home?”

“We could sit on the couch and cuddle as we watch a movie.”

“Or we can play some slow, romantic songs on the computer that we can dance to.”

“Or we can cuddle as we watch a movie, and then slow dance after that, before going up to our bedroom and making love.”

“I like your last idea best, and I think you’ve just come up with the perfect anniversary gift that we can give to each other.”

“Then let’s plan on doing it on every anniversary from now on.”

“Or we can set up a regular date night each week and do it then as well.”

“Agreed, because why should we wait an entire year when we can do it once a week.”

“Or we can do it more often than that, if it’s what we choose to do.”

“Then I guess we’d better renew some of our apps so we don’t run out of movies to watch.”

“I’ll set them up on auto-pay so we don’t have to worry about it,” I offered.

“You know, I remember that my paternal great-grandparents were married for sixty years before they died. And as a kid, I always wondered how someone could be with another person for that long without having any major disagreements or get tired of being with each other. And then when my great grandfather died, my great grandmother was inconsolable, and two days later she died as well. I guess their love was so strong that not even death could part them for very long.”

“Oh, that’s so tragic, yet so sweet.”

“Somehow, I wonder if the same will be true for us. My parents were together for nearly fifty years before my dad died, and even though my mom didn’t die shortly after he did, she was never the same. She seemed to have to force herself to look happy after that, and on occasion I would catch her carrying on a conversation with my dad, even though he’d been dead for a number of years. I’ll always remember what she told me a short time before she died. She said she wasn’t afraid of death, because she’d get to be with my dad again. Now that’s love.”

“It is, and I know we share the same kind of love for each other.”

He’s right, and I believe my husband and I share the same type of love. We’ve had many wonderful years together and celebrated many memorable anniversaries before this one, but I think this is the one I’ll remember until the day I die. Other than going out for dinner at a crowded restaurant, there weren’t any friends or family throwing us a party and making us share our special day with them. We merely spent the entire evening alone and it was absolutely wonderful, just as our life together and our marriage has been. If there’s an afterlife, I hope we get to be together again.

“Happy Anniversary, Babe,” I whispered as I placed an arm over my sleeping husband’s body and gave him a gentle squeeze. “I love you, and I always will.”

 

THE END.

Copyright © 2022 Bill W; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 24
Thank you for reading and please feel free to leave a comment or click on one of the emojis to let me know what you thought of this story.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



1 minute ago, Daddydavek said:

Thanks Bill for this story of love and commitment.  There's not enough of that in the world today and every little bit is important!

Thanks, Daddy D.  You're correct and those in for the long haul seem rare, but they're out there.  We just have to celebrate each of those couples when we find them.  

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

It’s always fun to reminisce about the beginnings of relationships, what brought you together, and the things you’ve been through as a couple. Each phase of a relationship brings you to where you are. 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
14 minutes ago, Mrsgnomie said:

It’s always fun to reminisce about the beginnings of relationships, what brought you together, and the things you’ve been through as a couple. Each phase of a relationship brings you to where you are. 

As you grow older it seems that reminiscing become a big and bigger part of your life, remembering the good times and the bad.  Hopefully, the good times will bring smiles to your face, possibly even a little laugh or a few tears over those precious recollections.  Thanks, Mrsgnomie, for pointing that out to us.  

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Two very fortunate men who braved the wars and were able to witness the tides of change. I wonder what it will really be like in 2053. Will we still have those rights we cherish? I sure hope so, but my fears are ever present. 

This was sweet... and proof that love and sex are not just for the young. We may lose some hair and we may have holes in our memories, but we are blessed if we can still cuddle on the couch with the one we've shared our life with. Many don't have that. 

Thanks for this, Bill. Cheers! :hug: 

  • Love 4
Link to comment
50 minutes ago, Headstall said:

Two very fortunate men who braved the wars and were able to witness the tides of change. I wonder what it will really be like in 2053. Will we still have those rights we cherish? I sure hope so, but my fears are ever present. 

This was sweet... and proof that love and sex are not just for the young. We may lose some hair and we may have holes in our memories, but we are blessed if we can still cuddle on the couch with the one we've shared our life with. Many don't have that. 

Thanks for this, Bill. Cheers! :hug: 

Thanks, Gary, and obviously I'm worried about how much longer we'll have our rights, although I won't be around in 2050.  The immediate future is more important to me, and the idea of whether we'll retain our rights depends on which political party is in office.  I'm sure the same thing is true in Canada, and possibly other parts of the world as well, so let's hope the more enlightened parties prevail. 

Thank you for your feedback, and you're correct.  One of the most wonderful things we have to look forward to in our lives is finding someone we love and adore, and they feel the same way about us, and we'll get to live a long and happy life together.  It is my wish for every loving couple, especially those here at GA.  

  • Love 5
Link to comment

I love this tender love story of two partners recalling their love through simple conversations.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
18 minutes ago, W_L said:

I love this tender love story of two partners recalling their love through simple conversations.

Thank you, W_L, and I'm glad you enjoyed this story and I only wish it was an auto-biography.  And thank you for the review as well.  

  • Love 2
Link to comment

...making us share our special day with them.... made me grin. I absolutely understand the conclusion: We merely spent the entire evening alone and it was absolutely wonderful.

Thank you for sharing, Bill.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..