Jump to content
    BKWildenberg
  • Author
  • 1,231 Words
  • 962 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This story contains a brief depiction of assault, comic-book violence, and graphic language. 

The Syndicate - 47. Chapter 47 - Taran

Taran watched the team enter their respective Outfitter stations and fought against the knots in his stomach. He couldn't help but feel conflicted; this was a huge milestone for them, a momentous achievement in their superhero journey. Taran still vividly remembered the first time he stepped into the chamber for his Weather Boy uniform. The days leading up had been spent agonizing over every little detail: was he going to color coordinate with Zephyr or do something different? What kind of mask would be best? His room had been littered with crumpled drawings, mockups that he just couldn't get quite right. He had even gone through the ordeal a second time, leaving his sidekick persona aside. Older and wiser, Taran tried to best define how he wanted to be seen as a hero. A bright spot in an oftentimes dark world.

And that's how this whole process was supposed to work! A reward to mark the end of training and the start of fieldwork. Instead, he was leading his team on secret missions they had no business being a part of. All because the "adults" they were meant to trust hadn't been forthcoming to begin with.

A chamber door opened, and Taran was thankful for the distraction. Maya exited her station. She was clad in a floor-length, dark purple trench coat worn over a black jumpsuit. Her beaded necklace hung over the suit in several loops, pulsing faintly with their soft blue light. The coat's hood cast her face in a void-like shadow, totally hidden, except for silver eyes that glittered like jewels in the darkness.

"Woah, spooky!"

Maya threw back her hood, scattering the shadow magic away. "This is better, right? I thought my official uniform needed something extra. Also, I added more pockets to the coat. Crazy how you never seem to have enough."

"It's excellent, Night Sister. Plus, you're the first one out, so you won't miss any of the grand reveals!"

Another door slid open, and after a moment, Ronnie stepped out into the light.

"Wow," Taran gasped. Thanks to the craziness of the last few weeks, they had never really discussed what a potential costume would look like. It was perfect. The uniform was primarily black and green, form-fitting and sturdy. Ronnie's arms and shoulders were protected by brushed silver guards, which matched his armored boots. They immediately brought to mind the armor of a valiant knight. That motif was carried forward in the vibrant emerald shield across Ronnie's chest. The entire look gave him a robust and protective presence.

"Ronnie, you look amazing!" Maya exclaimed. "Give us a spin!" With a laugh, he obliged.

Taran's breath hitched.

"Oh damn, he does not skip squat day," Maya blushed. "Are you sure we don't want a cape to cover —"

"Absolutely not!" Taran practically shouted. "Erm, I mean, that would just be impractical with his skill set…."

Ronnie tugged at the high collar of his suit awkwardly. "I didn't have to do much. The computer really knows what it's doing. Do you like it?"

"I love it, Ronnie. Truly." Taran wrapped his arms around Ronnie's waist and pulled him closer. "You look incredibly heroic, and bad guys won't stand a chance." They kissed, finally breaking away when the next chamber door slid open.

"Hi boys, don't mind me. Aw, you guys look sick!"

Battlecat's uniform was minimalist: a knee-length, sleeveless jumpsuit, allowing maximum range of motion as he lept into action. He also wore guards on his forearms that matched the red and oranges of the main suit. Taran was unsurprised to see that Ari opted to go barefoot, and his claws tapped sharply on the hard floor as he bounced excitedly from foot to foot.

"Let me guess," he said. "We're waiting on the princess."

"Yup," Ronnie replied with a sigh. "Might as well make ourselves comfortable."

The group waited an eternity for Carmen to finish designing her costume. Taran looked at his watch and tapped absently at his tablet as the remaining occupied chamber hummed and thrummed in the quiet room. Finally, the door opened with a hiss. Everyone's mouth dropped.

Carmen stepped out into the main room, glossy knee-high boots clacking on the floor as she runway stomped towards them. The boots matched the shimmery opalescent leotard that she wore, which caught the surrounding light and reflected it back in dozens of shining sparks. Carmen's suit was low cut and sleeveless, accompanied by flared, elbow-length gloves and a pointed cowl that was framed by her perfect blonde hair.

"Oh, subtle," Maya muttered. Ari coughed down a laugh.

Carmen stood in front of them and posed. Dazzling beams of light refracted around her like a laser light show. She looked like something straight out of the campiest comic book.

"Don't you just love it?!" She asked excitedly. "I've been waiting for this moment for years. We could be action figures someday; I just had to go all out!"

Taran furrowed his brow. "I appreciate the enthusiasm, Phosphra, but we're a covert team. This is sure to attract unwanted attention, and yes, I'm aware you can turn invisible."

"Oh, calm down. I've got it covered." Carmen touched the pink stone set into the middle of her belt. Her shimmering uniform shifted to black, becoming a stealthy, if not still scantily clad look.

"Fair enough, you've truly thought of everything," Taran laughed. "Thankfully, your durability metrics allow for these particular, ah, fashion choices." He took a breath. "Okay, team, line up."

Taran reflected a moment as they came to attention. He was taken aback at just how much they had grown. Four heroes, out of their drab trainee sweats and now appearing as unique as their skill sets. Maya was dark, mysterious, and just a little bit scary. Ari was lithe and acrobatic, no longer shying away from his primal appearance. Carmen was vibrant and charismatic, projecting unmatched confidence that rallied the team. And Ronnie, fiercely protective and steadfastly noble, looked every bit the hero Taran had already known him to be.

The gravity of the moment made Taran's mouth go dry. He was terrified of the lurking unknowns and certain dangers waiting for them, but the team needed him. He refused to let them down.

"I wasn't exactly prepared for a rousing speech," he gave a soft smile and tried to stuff his emotions back down. "But this moment deserves recognition."

"The four of you have come so far and grown so much. Thank you for your tremendous work and for allowing me to learn with you. It's been an honor to form this family, and I love each of you."

Taran caught Ronnie's eye and paused, unsure if he'd be able to continue. After years of hiding, terrified of the future, he had never been more certain of anything in his life. He loved Ronnie. The road before them may still be scary, but there wasn't anything they couldn't see through together.

His voice broke as he continued. "I know I can trust any of you with my life, and I suspect I'll have to do just that very soon. I've never been prouder of any set of trainees." Taran gave a final nod, noticing how they four stood a bit straighter in their new uniforms.

"We've got our answers, and you have your equipment," Taran concluded. "We leave tomorrow."

Copyright © 2020 BKWildenberg; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wonderful chapter; finally a look at everyone and how they see themselves; since the uniform is just a reflection of that to some extent.  The interaction between this group is great, I can't wait for the next update.  Such a good job.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
43 minutes ago, centexhairysub said:

Wonderful chapter; finally a look at everyone and how they see themselves; since the uniform is just a reflection of that to some extent.  The interaction between this group is great, I can't wait for the next update.  Such a good job.

Thanks for always being here! 

Not a whole lot of chapters left in this one... I have a good chunk of it written, but I'm still trying to thread the needle on a couple of things. Ultimately, my goal (now that work is slowing down) is to finish by this year's NaNoWriMo so I can focus on something new. 

Might be more superheroes, might be fantasy. Haven't committed to anything quite yet! 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

The big outfit reveal.  It was great that they each got to design their own, and they seem to really fill their skills/abilities. Looking forward to seeing them out in the field.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Just caught up, I know I'm very behind.  I do hope finishing the story is still in the works.  Curious to see how plays out.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..