Jump to content
    BKWildenberg
  • Author
  • 530 Words
  • 2,026 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This story contains a brief depiction of assault, comic-book violence, and graphic language. 

The Syndicate - 4. Chapter 4 - Silver Cyclone

01/21/20 - Chapter edited to fix grammar and typos.

Silver Cyclone was waiting outside Ronnie’s room as Maya stepped out and the door shut behind her. “How’s he doing?”

Maya turned to him. “He’s... fine, SC. Well, as fine as can be given the circumstances. I imagine he’ll be hurting for a little while, and not just physically.”

Silver Cyclone recalled finding Ronnie in the alley. The way he cowered on the ground, eyes alight with fear. It was so vivid. “He was so scared… I’ve never seen a manifestation like that,” he said, sadness in his voice.

“Can you blame him? His world just totally shifted, not to mention the guy he killed. You’d be scared too if that’s how you ended up in this world.”

Silver Cyclone winced at the mention of Ronnie’s attacker. “I pulled the records on that guy, and he was a total scumbag. In and out of jail on a number of violent offenses going back years.” He did his best to temper his anger, but someone like that simply wasn’t redeemable, and justice needed to be served in one way or another. He just wished he had gotten to the scene faster before it had spiraled out of control. He was so sorry for what Ronnie had gone through. “It was going to catch up to him sooner or later.”

“Yeah… it usually does,” Maya’s eyes went somewhere distant.

Silver Cyclone had seen her drift off like this many times before and was pretty sure where her thoughts were heading. He tried to pull her back from the memories by changing the subject. “Did you happen to see the power readings the med-bot scanned off of him?”

“No, of course not… wait, did you?!” Maya’s eyes went wide. “How did you get a hold of --”

“Let’s just say Doctor Ritter owed me a favor,” the hero shrugged. “I wanted to see what Ronnie was going to be dealing with,” He pulled up an image on his phone and handed it to Maya.

She studied the numbers on the screen and flipped through a couple of diagrams. “Oh! Impressive… how is this the first we’re hearing of him?”

Silver Cyclone had been wondering the exact same thing. “Can I see him?” he asked.

Maya shook her head. “Wait until tomorrow. I think the guy’s been through enough tonight. Besides, based on those readings, he’s going to be around for a while.”

She was right, of course. He’d get his chance to check-in.

“Why are you taking such an interest in this one? He’s not the first manifest you’ve brought in.”

He paused. “Something’s different about him. He was worried about the man who attacked him… wanted to know if he was going to have a family waiting at home. Who worries like that about someone they just had to fight off? I’m intrigued is all.”

“He’s intriguing, that’s for sure.” Maya nodded, “Come back tomorrow. I’m sure Ronnie will be happy to see you.” Silver Cyclone nodded and turned to walk down the hallway. “And SC,” she called after him. He stopped. “You did good work tonight. Right place at the right time.”

He smiled and continued on his way.

Copyright © 2020 BKWildenberg; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Love 7
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What did I say? Sympathetic and caring. I like Maya too. She seems like a lovely person from what little we've seen of her so far.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Ronnie seems lovely. I forgot his concerns for his attacker. I love that Ronnie's powers seem 'impressive'

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Silver Cyclone does seem concerned about Ronnie; but do find it curious that Maya is so surprised by his actions, not sure if that is good or bad.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..