Jump to content
    BKWildenberg
  • Author
  • 1,103 Words
  • 1,796 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This story contains a brief depiction of assault, comic-book violence, and graphic language. 

The Syndicate - 26. Chapter 26 - Taran

"And then, after breaking off his attack, the intruder disappeared in a column of fire. I reviewed the evidence at the scene. It's safe to say this was the same person who eluded us at the Natural History Museum." Taran concluded his statement and assumed a formal stance at the end of the conference table. The wall in front of him was divided into monitors, each capable of displaying a Syndicate member. His parents' faces looked down from the wall.

"We both know that arcane matters aren't your specialty. Who dispatched you to the scene?" Crimson Cosmonaut's voice crackled over the loudspeaker. Taran didn't know where his father was today, but it must have been somewhere remote. The lousy reception wasn't enough to mask his tone of judgment in the question.

"I did, sir," Maya spoke up from her place at the table. Taran noted a slight tremor in her voice, which wasn't surprising. It was her first mission debrief with the charter members. "Silver Cyclone was on patrol closest to the scene and had the background on Track and Trace missions. At the time, however, we thought it was simply a break-in."

Warren made a noise of approval and continued. "Well, that is the protocol, and you couldn't have known otherwise. No one is faulting you, Miss Huang." Taran bristled at the implication of who the fault belonged to. His father continued, "Do we have this person identified?"

Maya ruffled through the papers in front of her. "Ah, unfortunately not, sir. Control studied surveillance from the area, but we weren't able to get a clear image. It's likely the man was masking his identity somehow."

"Do we know what the intruder was looking for?" Zephyr's asked, a look of concern over the monitor. She was calling from the San Francisco headquarters, where Control workers wandered in and out of the frame behind her as they went about their duties.

"The Magic Division has a few ideas," another hero spoke up at the table. Arcanus was a senior member who helped coordinate missions with mystical origins. He was also an expert in magical items and Maya's primary mentor. "It seems that our associate recently parted with a few artifacts. We are attempting to track down their new owners. Unfortunately, as we don't know the properties of the Jewel of Katar, it's all a shot in the dark. If this stranger is collecting magical artifacts, it's likely all for the same goal." Arcanus leaned back in his chair, the black cat that always accompanied him jumped in his lap and settled in for a snooze.

"We need to make finding this thief a priority," Taran's father replied. "But we can't get caught off guard again. Starting now, we send teams of two for any dispatch dealing with mystical artifacts. Taran got lucky, there's no telling what could have happened."

Heat flared in Taran's cheeks. He was still feeling sore from this recent failure, and to have his father bring it up so frankly was humiliating. The worst part was that Crimson Cosmonaut was correct. Things could have been much worse if the tall stranger hadn't been so preoccupied with teasing him.

"Understood, and we will continue to search for these mystery artifacts." Arcanus absentmindedly stroked his cat, lost in thought. "Though I suppose now that we have a target, it might be possible to set up a trap?"

"We're of the same mind, my friend. I'll let you get to the planning. Report back to us when you have any leads. Cosmonaut out." The line crackled with static once more before going dead.

"We'll be in touch. Stay safe, all of you." Zephyr disconnected as well, the monitor blinking out.

Taran finally exhaled, glad the debrief was over. It was awkward enough to report directly to his parents when things were going well but to admit defeat felt too much like getting grounded.

Arcanus placed his cat gently on the ground and rose from his chair. He wore a dark blue satin suit with a billowy shirt and was the perfect image of an old fashioned stage magician. His half-moon spectacles caught the light of the room with a twinkle. "I'll be sure to let you know when we're ready to move on this," he told Taran kindly.

"Me? But I'm not Magic Division... Do you really want me involved after what happened last time? I totally messed up!"

"It's true, things could have gone better," the older man chuckled, fiddling with the amulet around his neck. "But if I know you, you'll be looking to settle the score. Maya and I will see to it that you get your chance," He gave a wink and called to his cat. "Come, Presto. We have work to do, don't we?" He scooped up the cat and disappeared with a flash of light.

"I'm not sure I'll ever get used to that," Taran sighed.

Maya laughed. "You think that's bad, try having him poof in when you're supposed to be studying!" She began to gather things. "You did good, SC. We're going to find this guy."

"Thanks..."

"Hey, chin up. Like Arcanus said, you'll get another chance."

"It's not just that; there's other stuff too…" Taran trailed off, unsure if he wanted to get into this conversation.

"Would it happen to involve a cute force field throwing recruit?"

"How did you know?" Taran groaned. "I thought I was doing a good job of keeping you out of my head."

"Oh, you've been closed off more than usual, which was enough to make me suspicious. But Ronnie doesn't know how to keep himself guarded, and he's been broadcasting emotions like crazy!"

"It's that bad, huh?"

"You're giving him emotional whiplash, Taran! I ran into him earlier today, and he was running moments over and over in his head. It's not fair, and you know it!"

Taran buried his head in his hands. Maya was right, as she was an annoyingly large amount of the time. This wasn't fair to either of them. "What do you think I should do?" He asked.

"You already know what you need to do, so there's no need for us to rehash that argument. But listen, I know what's up now. Maybe start with that?"

"You might be right… I'll talk to Ronnie, ok? Do you want to want to maybe stop by later? The three of us could spend some time together outside of work."

Maya game Taran a smug smile. "Sure, you owe me a giant curry anyway for sitting through this debrief. I'll see you at seven.”

Copyright © 2020 BKWildenberg; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Love 4
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I thought the name of the cat would be Felix, in view of his "magic bag of tricks," but Presto works nicely.  😺

Interesting that Taran's father seems to play a blame game:  He asks who ordered Taran--a nonarcane superhero--to the scene even before he asks if the intruder has been identified!

While Taran has been blocking his thoughts from being read, Ronnie has been broadcasting like a beacon:  So much for secrecy! At least, Taran sees that Maya supports their relationship. 😊

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment


Just perfect, the debrief was painful for Taran but more because his father seems to view him as less than; there has to be more than what we have seen so far.  Maya has already given Taran her advice, and I am sure it would mirror mine, but no one can make that decision for another person.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
7 hours ago, travlbug said:

I thought the name of the cat would be Felix, in view of his "magic bag of tricks," but Presto works nicely.  😺

Interesting that Taran's father seems to play a blame game:  He asks who ordered Taran--a nonarcane superhero--to the scene even before he asks if the intruder has been identified!

While Taran has been blocking his thoughts from being read, Ronnie has been broadcasting like a beacon:  So much for secrecy! At least, Taran sees that Maya supports their relationship. 😊

I had some friends help me workshop magic names, and Presto was my favorite! What a good cat. 

One important thing to note from these scenes with Taran’s father is that because Taran is the POV, things might get colored in a way that isn’t quiiiiiiiiite what other people are seeing. Yes, Warren has some issues and has been inattentive. But Taran also has some daddy issues that cause him to see slights in everything. 

It’s an exhausting dynamic, honestly. 

Thanks for the comment! I always appreciate it :)

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, centexhairysub said:


Just perfect, the debrief was painful for Taran but more because his father seems to view him as less than; there has to be more than what we have seen so far.  Maya has already given Taran her advice, and I am sure it would mirror mine, but no one can make that decision for another person.

Maya has done this song and dance before. But she might be starting to get her way a bit. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

I hope this son/daddy dynamic gets resolved soon.

The working in teams solution should be something they do anyway.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Taran should seek the help of his mother… mothers always know! Is that a terrible statement for a gay man to make. In my case, coming out to my father, I did not have a mother by that time, she had passed away, but my sister was my advocate with dad.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..