Jump to content
    BKWildenberg
  • Author
  • 999 Words
  • 1,999 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This story contains a brief depiction of assault, comic-book violence, and graphic language. 

The Syndicate - 24. Chapter 24 - Ronnie

Ronnie checked the time on his phone and tutted impatiently. Taran was supposed to be meeting him for a training session but was nowhere to be found. “Probably off doing forty things at once, yet again,” he thought to himself. “Someone needs to remind him to leave some work for the other members.”

He decided to wander the hall and get more acquainted with the training facility. The Syndicate seemed to have a room for just about every situation and power set: giant pools for trainees with aquatic powers and arenas where the weather could be calibrated to simulate any climate. And Ronnie would have access to all of it! The vast wealth of technology still left him feeling awed and longing to know how everything worked. He made a mental note to track down Lydia and ask for an exclusive tour when they had some free time.

Ronnie passed one of the smaller exercise rooms when he heard a noise from inside that made him pause. Curious, he placed a hand on the wall panel, and the door slid open with a hiss. The room was dark, except for a few round lights at the far end. A collection of hulking training robots were arranged in a tight ring. Lights flashed across their metallic visors, and all were poised to strike at the familiar figure in the center.

Ronnie watched as Taran slowly spun, a black staff held with both hands ready to block any attack. Taran was breathing heavily, and the sweat that stained his grey training shirt indicated he had been at this for quite a while. One of the robots flanking Taran suddenly lurched forward, its dark metallic arm swinging out in a left hook. Taran caught the blow with the end of his staff, before twisting to land a solid kick in the center of the robot’s chest plate. The training dummy staggered backward as Taran swept its legs with a cry of anguish. It crashed to the ground just before being violently blown back with a blast of wind.

Ronnie gasped. This wasn’t training, it was venting. He caught sight of Taran’s face as he spun again to meet another striking robot. His expression was twisted in frustration and matched the brutal, uncalculated strikes he was now making. Taran was pissed about something and determined to make these robots pay for it. His staff swung with wild abandon, the blows missing just as often as they connected. A metallic clang rang out each time Taran made contact. Ronnie saw him start to get lost in his anger, losing focus. He was only concentrating on one target at a time now, which gave the others an opportunity. A robot managed to land a blow to Taran’s shoulder that sent him reeling to the ground. He was struck by another before he had the chance to recover. The remaining training bots began to converge on their target, readying a coordinated assault.

Ronnie took a step forward and threw out his hands. A green dome sprung up from around Taran and closed him in. The construct was immediately attacked by the robots, and each blow was matched by a thud in Ronnie’s temple. The robots were more vicious than he anticipated, and it was challenging to keep up the force field from so far away. He wasn’t sure how long it would stay materialized.

Taran whirled around from his place on the floor, eyes wide in surprise. “End simulation!” he shouted. The training robots instantly halted their actions before slowly stepping to their default locations at the far end of the room. A few were damaged: cracked body plates, arms broken at the elbows, only holding on by a few wires.

Ronnie dropped his hands, and the dome dissolved. “Hey,” he said weakly.

Taran twisted the center of his staff, which made both ends collapse into the handle. He hurried to his gym bag, clearly embarrassed. “Ronnie! I am so sorry. I wanted to squeeze in an extra training session and must have lost track of time.”

“Yeah, I don’t think that was training. You were trying to murder those robots… is everything okay?”

Taran hung his head and was silent for a moment. “I— I just needed to work some things out. I’ll be fine.”

“Are you sure? Because I was watching for a while, and you weren’t yourself.” Ronnie dropped to one knee and met Taran’s gaze. “You can talk to me.”

The story spilled out. Taran explained how he found the jewel thief that he and Maya had been chasing for the last few days. How there had been a fight, and Taran didn’t come out as the victor.

“Long story short, I wasn’t prepared. I got my ass kicked, and it likely would have been a lot worse if the guy hadn’t been toying with me the entire time.”

“At least you know who he is now, right? It was just a mistake, you—“

“That’s the problem, Ronnie!” Taran’s voice rose in frustration. “I can’t be making these mistakes!”

Ronnie flinched at the outburst. He hadn’t meant to irritate what was clearly still an open wound.

Taran softened. “I’m sorry. You didn’t deserve that. It was just a bad night.” He sighed.

Ronnie nudged Taran’s shoulder. “Well… hopefully not all bad, right?”

“Ha! You’re right, the rest of it was pretty good.” Taran reached for Ronnie’s hand. “I really hate that I messed up our morning plans.”

Ronnie smiled. He could feel the old Taran was back. “I’m still up for some training if you are.”

“Really?!” Taran’s eyes lit up. “I’d like that a lot. Just give me a few to get cleaned up, I’m really gross.” He gathered his bags and headed for the door. “Meet me at the main arena in fifteen, okay?”

“Sounds great, I’ll grab us some breakfast.”

“Yes, please!” Taran paused at the door and looked back. “Hey, Ronnie?”

“Yeah?”

“Thanks for listening.”

Thanks again for reading! Let me know what you think. I hope everyone has a great weekend, and that you continue to stay safe and healthy!
Copyright © 2020 BKWildenberg; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Love 6
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Actually, Taran really doesn't know who his assailant was (though he can now identify him), and the perp was more warning him than "toying" with him.  Further, if a man with a knife loses to a man with a gun, it's not a mistake:  It's a power-balance issue.  Taran was simply outclassed, and his view of his loss as a "mistake" shows how profoundly his parents have warped his perspective. Rather than accepting his defeat as some sort of personal flaw, he should be considering the best combination of heroes likely to apprehend the "bad guy" so that they can be ready next time he appears.

Yay for Ronnie! How can Taran not want to broadcast their relationship? 🤗

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Taran needs to find another way to work out some of these frustrations.  He also needs to make sure that someone above his level is aware of his full encounter.  For there to be someone of that power level around; well everyone needs to be aware of it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

I agree with travlbug's assessment. The only mistake Taran made was trying to take the guy on alone or without an additional edge in his favor. Personally, I'd be hunting for some magical enhancements.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

This may be the first time that Taran met with somebody he coild not beat with a puff of air. We must remember that, while he is a full-fledged superhero, he is very young and may need a little more seasoning before he meets the fire-man again.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..