Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

In Our Darkness - 14. Chapter 14: Descent

Hope is a pretty word, but a brutal feeling. Sometimes you would prefer the other, the nothing. But the soul is foolish, and when there is nothing else, in hope it continues to survive.

Jack knew that hope, in David’s situation, was completely useless. But David’s brain and heart had stopped communicating a long time ago. One was simply wired to survive—the other one had taken on an unthinkable quest. Together, they struggled to compromise.

But because the brain is smart, it knows that if it won’t give the heart even an inch to go on, the body will refuse to rise in the morning, refuse to survive, and instead it will surrender to its demise. And so the brain humors the heart, and allows it to continue on its mission, thus buying itself some more time.

Jack could have stepped in a long time ago and put an end to David Andrew’s wild search parties and stunts. But he didn’t. As a man with some life experience, he understood the crucial importance of letting David hold onto his wild hope of finding the perpetrator. As insane as his ideas were, they were also his lifeline to the real world.

It was easy to spot the house because a group of neighbors had gathered outside. Jack could hear the loud music blasting all the way from down the street.

“Thank God, the police is here,” one of the neighbors said as they saw Jack approach. They knew him from years ago, and he didn’t correct them or mention anything about his retirement.

“Officer, this is ridiculous, he’s been at it for hours, he won’t answer the door.”

“Yes, I got it,” Jack said, then walked past them and into the house.

“David!” he yelled out, trying not to go deaf in all the noise. He walked around and located the speakers in the living room and pulled the cord.

“Oh, it’s you. Thought it was one of the asshole neighbors,” David said, appearing in the hallway. He then casually added, “My wife left me.”

“Are you shocked?” Jack replied, and David felt a surge of anger, but then burst out laughing. No, he wasn’t shocked. Everyone with a pair of eyeballs could see that his marriage was over.

“I can’t even be mad. Tom’s a nice guy,” he admitted.

“Fuck Tom, whoever he is. You need to focus on you. Your wife has moved on. You’re still in the same pit of anger. What are you going to do about it?”

“What are you Tony fucking Robbins? I don’t need an inspirational speech right now.”

“Then what do you need?”

“Another drink would be good,” David replied.

“Doesn’t look like you need another one,” Jack said and pointedly looked at David’s crotch. David followed his eyes and saw the wet patch spreading over his gray sweatpants.

After a while he put his face in his hands and began to silently sob.

“Okay kid, that’s enough. Let’s get you some actual help now,” Jack said, and David let the older man lead him upstairs, throw him in a cold shower and then help him change his clothes.

Later that night, sweating and uncomfortable in front of a small room of people David Andrews would say for the first time, “Hello, my name’s David, and I’m an alcoholic.”

Copyright © 2022 C. Henderson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 8
  • Sad 14
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wow--a real turning point for David. He reached the absolute bottom and Jack, the former jaded don't get involved type detective , cared enough in retirement and acted at the right time to save David. I hope David stays in AA and can move on. One of the requirements of AA's 12 step program is that you reach out to all you have hurt and apologize. If he does that, what will David learn?

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Finally, David is attempting to address his wound.

Is it repairable at this point? Is it already a slowly festering mortal wound? 

  • Like 2
  • Fingers Crossed 3
Link to comment

Hopefully this is a turning point for David and he can begin to address his problems, starting with his alcoholism.

  • Like 2
  • Fingers Crossed 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

I like Jack, but he's a hard piece of work. It really wasn't necessary to let David hit rock bottom before getting him help.

  • Like 2
  • Wow 3
Link to comment
19 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

 

I like Jack, but he's a hard piece of work. It really wasn't necessary to let David hit rock bottom before getting him help.

 

Should we be surprised? Look what he did to his own son. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
43 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

I like Jack, but he's a hard piece of work. It really wasn't necessary to let David hit rock bottom before getting him help.

You can’t really help someone who’s not ready to receive help, in my experience. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, C. Henderson said:

You can’t really help someone who’s not ready to receive help, in my experience. 

This is very true. It is a standard approach in healthcare that you cannot help those that refuse help. David refused help for years, and it is likely that it may be too late. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
51 minutes ago, C. Henderson said:

You can’t really help someone who’s not ready to receive help, in my experience. 

While this is very true, we've never had any indication of either David or Elizabeth being directed to professional help. I refuse to believe this all the way to the bottom was the right course.

 

  • Like 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

I volunteered in college and met guys and gals mostly in their 20's-30's  in a non-profit treatment facility for addicts. Several but not all joined the place after hitting rock bottom. A few were in jail drunk on their ass and one was an older not very appealing  prostitute who had outlived her sell by date and had been beaten up. Two were older type guys who sold themselves on the street at first and then found that harder to do. One good looking young guy was sent to the place by a judge instead of jail and he knew he had to get out of his addiction to drugs or jail would be his future next time. He knew if he stayed at home, his friends would keep in a drugged life. They didn't want him to change.

The head guy told me that people coming to his place had to see this as the path to take control of their life and that this was the right choice--sometimes the only choice. The door to the center was not locked. The people had to want to stay. Most of the counselors were former addicts. They had a retail store that sold donated clothing. The place was based on a successful San Francisco model which operated a restaurant with people being treated as restaurant workers. The people needed work habits and a basis for a resume.

I did this about 12 years ago so it was before the homeless and drug addiction populations exploded.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

David is so much more than an alcoholic, while AA is a great first step and one in the right direction, he needs to get professional help as well!! 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, drpaladin said:

While this is very true, we've never had any indication of either David or Elizabeth being directed to professional help. I refuse to believe this all the way to the bottom was the right course.

 

Well both Kat and Jack have told David to seek help in previous chapters. But you’re right, more could have been done earlier. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..