Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

In Our Darkness - 9. Chapter 9: Pain

When Kat responded to a noise complaint from the Andrews’ neighbors, she was expecting that the culprit was David, and she wasn’t wrong. He answered the door in a white bathrobe and in sunglasses. She could see the chaos behind him, smashed glass, paintings ripped off the walls, furniture in shambles.

“Where’s your wife?” she asked, wanting to make sure Elisabeth was alright.

“She left, went to sleep in a hotel.”

“Is she okay? Are you okay?” He moved the sunglasses from his eyes to the top of his head.

“Yeah, we’re fantastic, can’t you tell,” he replied sarcastically. His eyes were red.

“Mr. Andrews,” she started but he cut her off.

“Stop with the Mr. Andrews bullshit, just call me David.”

“David,” she began, but then a surge of pity overtook her. “Can I come in?”

“Sure,” he replied, moving aside to let her in. She tip-toed around the mess on the floor.

“Let me make you some tea,” she said, walking into the kitchen as he followed behind her. She poured water into the fancy electric kettle and turned it on. Then glanced around the kitchen. It was modern and spacious, the type of kitchen people dream of. The type of kitchen used in commercials for making the perfect Thanksgiving dinner. But in this kitchen, there was nothing but pain and grief.

“You’ve been through something really traumatic. It’s okay to ask for help,” she began. He pulled a stool from under the kitchen island and sat across from her and suddenly he looked like a small boy waiting for his mom to hand him breakfast.

“How can anyone help with this?” he asked.

“A therapist can’t hurt. They can help you process the grief. Work through it. Come out of it on the other side. Get back to the business of living, instead of just trying to survive.”

“That sounds like something they taught you to say at the academy,” he replied, skeptical.

“Hey, it may sound crazy, but if it helps, wouldn’t you want to try?”

“I don’t know,” he admitted. “Sometimes I’m scared that I’ll wake up and it will be gone. The pain. And then all I have left of him will be gone,” he replied and broke into a sob and she regretted coming in. Now she was faced with emotions and tears, and none of it was her forte. The kettle turned off and she poured the boiling water into the teacup and then pushed it across the kitchen island to him.

“That makes sense,” she replied. “I felt that way about my father too, when he passed. That if I stopped being angry, I’d forget him. But you never forget those you love. They are a part of you forever.”

“It’s just…I got so little time with him. And Elizabeth hates when I pull out the pictures to remind myself of what he looked like. I’m sorry, you probably think I’m a blubbering mess. I swear I’ve never cried like this in my life. I don’t know what’s happening to me.”

“You don’t have to be sorry about the way you love your son, David,” she replied.

“Do you think it ever goes away?” he asked, suddenly.

“What?”

“The pain.” She thought about it.

“No,” she replied, and he seemed surprised by her honesty. “I don’t think you’d want it to go away. Forgive me for saying this, but pain can be a blessing. Otherwise, none of it would matter. If the loss didn’t hurt, it wouldn’t be a loss.”

He looked at her for a long time then nodded.

Copyright © 2022 C. Henderson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
  • Love 2
  • Sad 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Kat had a very needed , painful discussion with David. The police were called about a noise complaint. His wife, Elisabeth,  finally moved out after what must have been a huge, loud fight with items destroyed in the house.

Kat suggested he go to a therapist, and he opened up to her:

“I don’t know,” he admitted. “Sometimes I’m scared that I’ll wake up and it will be gone. The pain. And then all I have left of him will be gone,” he replied and broke into a sob and she regretted coming in. Now she was faced with emotions and tears, and none of it was her forte"

Well, David was honest expressing his feelings and pain and Kat tried her best.

Is he at the bottom of his destructive passage and is he ready for a turning point to pick up his life?? Can he do something and see others so he can begin to look how to live his life and still not be traumatized? 

 What will Kat do now? This experience did not make her feel good. Will she follow up on more loose ends ( close friends, anyone benefiting from the marriage breakup, the missing prostitute, etc) with increased vigor?

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I hope this was the needed conversation, a wakeup call so to speak and David can rejoin the human race.

Quite frankly...he's being a self-absorbed twat, unaware that others are hurting, that it is only his pain  that matters. It has gone on far too long!

I realize that no one can feel another's grief but, enough is enough with David. It is more than obvious that he's hit bottom. And now it is clearly time for him to reach out for help and to apologize to his wife.

Time to find your bootstraps David!

  • Like 3
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

David is so consumed in his own wallowing self pity he is unable to empathize with Elizabeth's method of coping. He is unwilling to move on. Unless this changes, it will have another tragic consequence.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
Link to comment

David is destroying his life and marriage in being too stubborn to seek help. This will not end well. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..