Jump to content
    C. Henderson
  • Author
  • 544 Words
  • 1,115 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

In Our Darkness - 8. Chapter 8: Deterioration

It was clear to Elizabeth that her and David were processing their grief in very different ways, but that realization didn’t make matters any easier. They were like two ships passing each other at night.

David’s business partner Tom had been more than understanding of their situation, but without David at the office, things were deteriorating pretty fast. So Elizabeth decided to step in, make herself useful. Yes, they were going through something horrific, but they still needed money. They would be able to get by for a long while, but they had employees depending on them. They couldn’t just abandon everything. Or at least Elizabeth couldn’t.

Their tragedy didn’t change the facts of life. So she immersed herself in work, while David immersed himself in drinking. She didn’t say anything. Who was she to judge the way he decided to grieve? Not only that, but she lost the ability to talk to him. Communication with her husband used to come to her naturally, but now her sentences were clumsy, and questions felt awkward. It’s as if both of them were seeing a new version of the other, and both were ashamed of what it revealed about themselves.

Elizabeth felt ashamed for trying to move on quickly. For trying to forget. For not being as broken as David. And David was ashamed of not being able to get it together. Of wearing his pain on his sleeve and trying to rub it off on everyone he encountered. It made Elizabeth avoid him, she didn’t want his pain to infect her. And for that, she also felt ashamed. She couldn’t be there for her husband in the way he needed her.

Everyday she would come home after work, pick up empty beer bottles, clean up, make dinner, take a shower, go to sleep and do it all over again the next day. He didn’t admonish her for the way she handled grief either. But at times, she could see the resentment briefly flash in his eyes. And each time it felt like a small needle going into her heart. It was like they were two soldiers injured on the battlefield, expect his wounds were external while hers were invisible to the eye.

But she couldn’t spend her entire life crying. People lost kids everyday. Women experienced miscarriages, mothers gave birth to stillborns. Nothing in life was promised. Yes, she was hurting, but she wasn’t going to let it consume her.

When David laid down next to her that night, she scooted up to him and put her hand on his chest. He seemed taken aback by the action, they hadn’t touched in so long.

“You know…we could try again,” she suggested, gently.

“What?” he asked, confused.

“We could try again, for a baby.” She tried to search his face for a reaction. He just kept on staring at the ceiling. She let her hand wonder over his chest, then lower over his still solid abs, then lower playing with the elastic of his boxers. Suddenly his hand stopped hers.

“I don’t want to try again. Not now,” he replied. She felt her cheeks heat up momentarily, and she was glad the lights were off and he couldn’t see the shame on her face.

Copyright © 2022 C. Henderson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 19
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Elizabeth and David are both handling there grief very differently. David has turned to drink, Elizabeth turned to her work, neither of them paying much attention to each other.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment

They need to talk to each other, not past each other!!!

God forbid that they get some professional help!!

  • Like 4
Link to comment

They are ships passing in the night and are not connecting or talking honestly. They are seeing the crime and ending of a life so differently.

I am surprised they has not been a period of anger at what happened and an understanding that they were targeted. The police figured it out.

They might at some point try professional help, but I am not sure how the topic could be introduced and be accepted.

I am wondering that even if they find out who did the crime and why it was done, if they will be able to stay together as a family. These two are so broken.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

The way the two are handling this tragedy presents a curious and puzzling contrast.

Arguably, Elizabeth has experienced the greater loss. She had been carrying the child for nine months only to have him suddenly ripped away, yet she has found a pragmatic way to cope.

On the other hand, David is shattered as if he had been emasculated. His only thoughts lie in smothering his pain in alcohol and seeking vengeance. He has guilt for something he had no control over. You can what if these situations ad infinitum to no avail. I imagine he saw Elizabeth's suggestion to try again as an insult to the memory of Andrew. He needs an attitude adjustment.

One major direction left unexplored is who had a motive for this attack.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

David appears almost completely emasculated. It appears that the roles have reversed as it would be expected that Elizabeth would experience more grief compared to David, so something in David's background is likely triggering this response. 

  • Like 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..