Jump to content
    C. Henderson
  • Author
  • 2,288 Words
  • 757 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

In Our Darkness - 6. Chapter 6: New Lead

Kat Bryce was stuck, and she knew it. Barely any evidence, no witnesses besides the two victims, no security footage, and no car. The car was their only hope, but it seemed to have just vanished into thin air. No repair shop had seen it. The grey Honda disappeared without a trace, and with it any hope of finding the perpetrator. Kat wanted to remain hopeful, but her partner’s face made that a difficult task.

Jack sat at his desk with a hardened gaze, and a pair of set lips and burrowed eyebrows.

“Like I said…fucked,” Jack sighed as he twirled a pen between his long fingers. His alert blue eyes drowning in anger and disappointment. Kat knew that he hated cases he couldn’t solve, and it was becoming apparent that he believed this case would be another one of those. She didn’t want to go down that path. She didn’t want to give in and believe that they wouldn’t be able to help the Andrews’ rest better at night by giving them some sort of closure. She couldn’t allow herself to think that this was even an option. She would need to explore every possibility before throwing in the towel on this case.

She remembered the look in David Andrews’ eyes. A look of unimaginable pain and confusion that haunted her every night since she met him. Kat wanted to relive him of that look—help him heal.

“Thanks, Captain Obvious,” she shot back, annoyed that Jack was always right.

“Well, that’s that. Not much else we can do at this point besides running an ad for the car and waiting.”

“So that’s it? We’re leaving the fate of this case hanging on the hope that someone saw a damaged Honda drive by?” she asked frustrated, even though she knew what the answer would be.

“You’ve got a better idea?” he asked, and she plopped down even further in her seat, defeated.

“I want to help them Jack, I promised I would help them.”

“Well, you shouldn’t make promises you can’t keep,” he replied without much empathy. But again, he was right. She shouldn’t have promised the couple that she would find the guy and bring him to justice. She had no right to make such a promise. It was a stupid thing to do. But they looked so broken and she just wanted to give them some sort of hope, some sort of assurance that things would be okay eventually.

She thought of the Andrews’ sitting at home, waiting for a phone call to tell them that the man who ruined their lives was caught, that he would pay and that he would never do this again to anyone else. Yet here she was, sitting with nothing, twiddling her thumbs.

“Let’s grab lunch,” Jack suggested, and she scoffed at the idea.

“I’m not hungry.”

“Staring at the paperwork won’t help you catch him any sooner.”

“You don’t know that. Maybe I’ll think of something.”

“I do know that, I’ve been doing this a lot longer than you. This isn’t a TV show. Being here day and night and torturing yourself by not eating or sleeping and hoping for a brilliant idea to strike you may sound great in theory, but that’s not how real detective work looks like. I’m starting to feel like I haven’t taught you anything so far.”

He sounded disappointed and she shot him an annoyed look. Why did he have to be so devoid of hope?

“Come on, work will be here when we get back.”

She didn’t want to, but she followed him out the door. He was right after all, she wasn’t going to come up with any new evidence by just sitting at her desk. And she did need to eat in order to function.

As Jack drove them to a close by hole in the wall Mexican restaurant, Kat wondered what he would do when he’d retire. He wasn’t a man who could just sit still and enjoy life, build a house by the beach and look out at the ocean as he sipped on a beer. No, retirement would kill him. He would be the type of person who would work until the day he died. Actually, he would probably die working. She could see him maybe starting a PI firm. She wanted to ask, but seeing the sour mood he was already in, she decided that it would be best not to rattle his cage too much.

Their values didn’t always align, but if there was anything Kat knew about Jack, it was that he would go to hell and back to help those who needed his help. It comforted her knowing that he would most likely continue his work in some capacity, and not waste away sitting on some veranda. She respected him for that.

The waitress took their order and to no surprise Jack got the same thing he always got; he was a man of ritual. Kat stared at the chips and salsa in front of her with no appetite. After Jack took a few bites of the carne asada burrito that he swore up and down could make men weep, he looked at her sternly and said, “Listen, Bryce. Let me be honest with you, this case is going to be a bitch. I’m telling you this, because I can see you’re already getting involved. Way too involved.”

She shot him a look, but he continued, “It’s hard not to, beautiful young couple at the start of their life, their child snatched away from them a day before his birthday, you’d have to be a block of ice not to care. I get it. But the only way we’re going to find who did this, is if we find the car, or if someone talks. The first one, we can look for, the second one is out of our hands. In cases like these, you can’t promise anything. Because when shit goes wrong - and shit has a tendency of going wrong - you will get the full brunt of the parents’ anger and fury. Sometimes even for the rest of your life. Which is okay, because ultimately you know it’s not about you. But you can’t always take that upon yourself willingly. It’s a heavy burden to carry, you understand?”

Kat thought for a minute. She understood, but at the same time she didn’t like the idea of being a disengaged city worker who couldn’t empathize with those they were sworn to help.

“I didn’t become a cop to smell daisies, Jack. I can carry a burden.”

“Sure, you say that now. You’re a baby. You have all these grandiose ideas about honor and ethics and morals. But these cases pile up over the years, Bryce. They pile up like shit, and follow you around, and you can smell their stench for miles. And so can those around you. All the unsolved, all the parents, all the brothers and the sisters of the victim, all the suspects walking around. You cannot let yourself be the emotional dumpster of every case you encounter, you understand?”

“How do you know, wouldn’t it make me better at my job to be at least somewhat involved? I get we’re not supposed to be, but how can you trust someone to solve something if they don’t care about it.”

“Caring clouds your judgement. Caring makes you do things a rational person wouldn’t do. This is why doctors can’t operate on their spouses. You cannot keep a clear mind when you’re too busy caring. We’re here to discover facts, follow clues, bring resolution, solve crimes. We’re not here to hold people’s hands, that’s what counselors are for. We’re not here to make empty promises to grief-stricken parents, you understand? That’s not helping them.”

“I want to better my community, I don’t want to be just another person going through the motions Jack.”

“This is a job. A job like any other. Stop feeling so goddamn special about yourself,” Jack said taking a painfully large bite of his burrito. Suddenly Bryce felt her cellphone vibrate in her pocket. She answered, and after less than a minute her face fell.

“What happened?” Jack asked.

“The car, someone torched the car. Dammit!” she yelled out.

“Let’s go,” said Jack, and they left their unfinished meals behind and hurried to the car.

The drive took less than 15 minutes, and they spent it in silence. Both of them thinking the worst: dead end.

The car was torched minutes away from where the accident took place. In the midst of the woods there was a man-made path that was used by runners as well as road prostitutes looking to make a quick buck. The car was torched approximately 3 miles inside the path.

As they stood by the torched remains of the Honda, Kat realized something. This wasn’t a simple hit-and-run anymore. This just turned personal.

“Well, there’s that,” Jack commented and then threw down the small notebook he was holding with such force that Kat almost jumped.

“Maybe we can salvage some print off of it…anything.”

“Prints? Off of what? There’s nothing left,” he replied and once again he was correct. Kat knew that the lab would find nothing.

“There’s two regular girls that work here. Maybe they saw something.”

Jack nodded slowly.

“Let’s go.”

Kat only knew where one of the girls lived, so they drove there first. It was a rundown building in desperate need of a renovation. Dirty stairs and walls of peeling paint leading up to the second floor where a girl called Patrice lived in apartment 36 B. Kat knocked and when the door opened she almost apologized because she thought she got the wrong place.

Patrice looked nothing like the day uniform Kat was used to seeing her in, featuring a short tight skirt, high heels, a revealing top as well as a face full of makeup. The Patrice that Kat saw now looked like a teenage girl. She stood in front of her with a bare face, Minnie Mouse pajamas, hair pulled back into a bun and house slippers.

Her face was on guard. She obviously was not expecting the company of two detectives.

“Patrice, I’m sorry to bother you at home, but do you have a moment?”

“A moment for what?” the woman asked, clearly unhappy with the visitors.

“To answer some questions.”

Patrice looked back into the apartment with concern, as if to check on something.

“Look, this isn’t a good time.”

“It won’t take long, I promise,” Kat assured her. The woman wavered momentarily but finally gave up and nodded.

They walked inside of the tiny apartment and at once Kat saw where Patrice’s hesitation and reluctance came from. Inside of the living room, plopped down on a beaten-up brown couch, sat a boy who looked to be around four-years-old.

“My son, Matt,” Patrice said as an introduction.

“Hi, I’m Kat, it’s a pleasure to meet you,” Bryce said smiling at the boy, he smiled back shyly. Meanwhile Jack just grunted a hello.

“Let’s go into the kitchen,” Patrice asked and led the way into the tiny kitchen. “I don’t want him to hear anything he shouldn’t,” she added.

“Understood,” Kat replied. She still couldn’t believe it, couldn’t place Patrice as a mother. And then she scolded herself for her lack of imagination. Of course Patrice could be a mother. She wasn’t a one-dimensional character who gave blow jobs to random men driving by, she was a human being.

“Alright, what is this about?” Patrice asked after they all took a seat at the round kitchen table.

“Did you happen to work today?” Patrice rolled her eyes.

“Yeah, why?”

“Did you see anything unusual?”

“Like what?”

“Like a burning car?”

“A what?”

“A car…on fire. Someone torched a car right where you work. We need to know who.”

“Look, I didn’t see no burning car. I don’t know what the hell you’re on about.”

“Did you see anyone pull in a grey Honda?”

“You think I look at the cars that pull in? I’m just trying to get through my day, make some money, come home and keep my son fed. I don’t focus on their cars, or their faces or the nasty shit they say to me. I focus on their wallets. That’s how I survive.” Kat felt a pang of guilt for asking. This woman was just trying to make a living and raise her child in a difficult place. But for the sake of David and Elisabeth, Kat had to ask the difficult questions.

“Listen Patrice, I’m not trying to make your life hard. But the man that torched the Honda is a man that hit a 9-month pregnant woman with his car and left her to bleed out on the side of the road. Her baby died. The fact that he picked that spot to torch the car is not coincidental. So if you saw any guy behaving weird, if you can think of anything, anything at all that could help us, I would be very grateful.”

Patrice thought for a while but then shook her head with an apologetic look.

“I’m sorry, but there’s really nothing I can think of.”

As they drove back to the station, Kat tried to organize the jumbled thoughts in her head. She felt personally slighted by the torched car. It was as if the perpetrator was giving them the middle finger. It was brazen, and the fact that he returned to the scene of the crime with no hesitation made her worry. She knew that this wasn’t just an accident gone bad, this was something far more sinister.

Copyright © 2022 C. Henderson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 7
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This has got personal for the detectives, they want to solve this case.

They have the grey Honda, even if it is torched. They need to find any witnesses who were in that area.

  • Like 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

Good story so far, and nothing in grammar or spelling to alert my 'Editor's Eye' or Red Pencil 📝.

And so the shoe drops.

On further reflection will Patrice remember anything that can help find the driver (murderer of Andrew Andrews) or will discovering the driver of the grey Honda put Patrice and her 4-year old son Matt at risk? Can J&K put Patrice into protective custody? Maybe Kat can find Patrice any job to help keep her and little Matt 👦 safe?

Also, torching the grey Honda (or any vehicle) does not necessarily eliminate evidence even if firefighters use water or foam to put fire out, despite what most people believe  (why doesn't Det. Jack know this?). AND if fire burnt itself out, even better.

Skin oils leave fingerprints behind on every surface. If soot is carefully removed they can be 'lifted', IR-scanned and photographed, and often in places NOT wiped down or directly touched by flame... inside glove / map compartments and especially in trunks. DNA biological residuals can survive fires even if only to give a partial 'hit'. There's much more for CSI to find 🔬 🔍,  Jack and Kat! 

This will get more interesting.

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Like 3
  • Wow 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

This isn't as much a dead end as it appears. It does add to the motive of the driver. They begin searching for someone with a grudge. The car was stolen somewhere and likewise an accelerant was bought somewhere. Hondas have topped the most stolen list for decades. They are absurdly easy to steal and part out.

It's stark to see the juxtaposition of these two characters, the new one with ideals and the one near the end who is jaundiced.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
36 minutes ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Good story so far, and nothing in grammar or spelling to alert my 'Editor's Eye' or Red Pencil 📝.

And so the shoe drops.

On further reflection will Patrice remember anything that can help find the driver (murderer of Andrew Andrews) or will discovering the driver of the grey Honda put Patrice and her 4-year old son Matt at risk? Can J&K put Patrice into protective custody? Maybe Kat can find Patrice any job to help keep her and little Matt 👦 safe?

Also, torching the grey Honda (or any vehicle) does not necessarily eliminate evidence even if firefighters use water or foam to put fire out, despite what most people believe  (why doesn't Det. Jack know this?). AND if fire burnt itself out, even better.

Skin oils leave fingerprints behind on every surface. If soot is carefully removed they can be 'lifted', IR-scanned and photographed, and often in places NOT wiped down or directly touched by flame... inside glove / map compartments and especially in trunks. DNA biological residuals can survive fires even if only to give a partial 'hit'. There's much more for CSI to find 🔬 🔍,  Jack and Kat! 

This will get more interesting.

Well, you need to remember how isolated this area is. I doubt a fire department was minutes away to put it out. Intentionally torched cars are different too because they burn hotter. There may not be much left. I've seen some where only the engine and rear axle were the clues to a car's origin. Even metal can burn.

  • Like 2
  • Wow 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Thinking further on this, where did the driver go? If you eliminate the possibility he lives nearby, he had to have transportation, a bike or motorbike stashed, or less likely, an accomplice to pick him up.

How could they know which vehicle his target would be in for sure or where they would be. Someone knows an awful lot.

Pitting a Honda against a Mercedes is nuts, but against a Range Rover is suicidal.

Edited by drpaladin
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Yes, now we know more and there is more to learn.

Kat said at the end....'It was brazen, and the fact that he returned to the scene of the crime with no hesitation made her worry. She knew that this wasn’t just an accident gone bad, this was something far more sinister."

We have some new angles--another prostitute to ask and any info from the car and people around the parents to investigate plus who benefits if David is out of his business. It was personal.

More than one person was likely involved. Someone had to be watching to notify the driver when they left the dinner party. Could anyone at the party be involved? Likely someone had to pick up the driver when the car was torched. Someone had to know about the site that was used to leave the car. Either prostitute should know the person and could be threatened if they tell the police.

The interplay among the two detectives is compelling. I hope Kat finds a healthy balance.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I thought the following was spot on...

“Sure, you say that now. You’re a baby. You have all these grandiose ideas about honor and ethics and morals. But these cases pile up over the years, Bryce. They pile up like shit, and follow you around, and you can smell their stench for miles. And so can those around you. All the unsolved, all the parents, all the brothers and the sisters of the victim, all the suspects walking around. You cannot let yourself be the emotional dumpster of every case you encounter, you understand?”

Then there is this...who, what, and where  is the second girl...

“There’s two regular girls that work here. Maybe they saw something.”

Jack nodded slowly.

“Let’s go.”

Kat only knew where one of the girls lived, so they drove there first.

Now, back to the torched car...there is plenty of evidence at the scene of the torching to be collected as @Anton_Cloche mentioned. More to the point, important hard evidence. Every vehicle manufactured has located in many places, serial numbers. They can be on the dashboard known as a VIN, Vehicle Identification Number, the door frame and most importantly, on the engine block and parts of the drivetrain! All of the serial or identification numbers on a car or vehicle are sequential and relate to one another!!

When the Federal Courthouse was bombed in Oklahoma many years ago, Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols were caught, because of recovered serial and VIN numbers from the rented box truck they used to haul the explosives'!!! Find the numbers that weren't destroyed and follow that trail!!!

As they drove back to the station, Kat tried to organize the jumbled thoughts in her head. She felt personally slighted by the torched car. It was as if the perpetrator was giving them the middle finger. It was brazen, and the fact that he returned to the scene of the crime with no hesitation made her worry. She knew that this wasn’t just an accident gone bad, this was something far more sinister.

Kat and Jack now need to find the 'second working girl' and start a deep dive into personal and professional relationships...More to the point...look into the $$$ aspects of the case. It is clearly obvious that this isn't simply a case of a love/hate relationship...or is it?

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

This is definitely starting to look intentional. It is quite bold to re-enter the scene of the crime to eliminate evidence while exposed. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..