Jump to content
    captainrick
  • Author
  • 4,399 Words
  • 1,792 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Sky's The Limit - 24. Chapter 24

The next morning Dad knocked on my door at 6:30. "Your breakfast will be at the foot of the stairs in thirty. Be dressed and ready to go at 7:30. I'll drop you at school."

 

This was such bullshit. What had I done? I told him I was gay. My sin was falling in love with a wonderful guy and having sex with him. Okay, a sixteen year old having sex may not be exactly the norm, but it's definitely not unheard of either. I wonder what the reaction would have been if I had been caught in bed with a girl - a pat on the back and "Way to go, son," probably.

 

I got dressed, managed to down a spoonful of cereal and met dad downstairs as scheduled. We got into the SUV and there were no words spoken. "Dad, may I ask you something?"

 

"What is it?"

 

"What if I had been caught with Lori or another girl? Would I still be in solitary and grounded forever like this?"

 

"You weren't caught with a girl. You were caught with . . . I can't even say it, dammit."

 

That was all he said. End of conversation. End of explanation. That certainly cleared things up. Smart move Jonah. He stopped at the entrance to the school, but he didn't turn in. "You walk from here. After today you need to arrange to ride the bus or other transportation. You will not miss school, but I'm not available everyday to do this either."

 

"Yes, sir" I said as I got out of the SUV. He was silent. No "have a good day" or anything else. I don't guess I expected it either. As I was walking up the drive to the school, Dex's jeep pulled in behind me. Ellen and Lori were with him. He stopped and Lori jumped out and hugged my neck and kissed me on the cheek. Bless her human touch. I sooo needed it.

 

"I heard about everything, Jonah. I'm so sorry. You're Dad's bein' an ass."

 

"You mean an asshole."

 

"No, an asshole is at least functional, I mean ass."

 

She was dead serious, but I started laughing uncontrollably. It was the first time I had laughed in a week. She just stared at me for a second or two and started laughing too. "Get in the jeep and we'll ride to the parking lot."

 

"Wait a minute" Ellen spoke up. "I'm not riding with some fag."

 

"What?" Dex said.

 

"I mean it Dexter. If he gets in I'm gettin' out," she said.

 

"Wait, Dex, I can . . ." I tried to interject.

 

"Shut up Jonah. Looks like you're gettin' out then." He said to her.

 

"Fine, and this is it Dex. Don't even call me."

 

"Don't worry. It wasn't that great anyway."

 

"Well, maybe you prefer this faggot to me."

 

Lori and I just stood there with our mouths hanging open as she got out of the jeep and stormed off.

 

"Dex, I'm so sorry. You so didn't have to do that."

 

"The hell I didn't. I've been thinkin' about breakin' up with her all week anyway. She's a control freak. She wants to tell me who I can and can't hang out with, and it's not just you. We got into it over Zach and some of my other friends too. She just wants to hang with the "popular" people. Probably why she can't keep a boyfriend more than a few weeks at a time anyhow. Damn bitch." After he calmed down a minute, we headed for the parking lot. "Jonah, I started to come pick you up this morning, but I couldn't call so I figured you'd get here somehow. I can't believe he just dumped you out at the road like that."

 

"Ass," Lori interjected.

 

I laughed again. This time Dex joined in. "Yeah, I guess it's bus city for me now."

 

"Nuh uh. You got yours truly as your personal chauffer and the jeepster limo special at your disposal, sir."

 

"Thanks, Dex, but there's gonna be a lot of talk anyway. I'm not draggin' you into all that. You'll be guilty by association."

 

"Don't sweat it. Don't forget, I'm part of that jock set that's gonna be the loudest talkin'. I can handle them. If you're not here at this jeep after school I'm gonna be really pissed and I'll just have to come over to your house and open up a can o' whupass."

"Don't forget me!" Lori said. "I'm gonna be there for my best friend too."

 

"Okay, Okay. Y'all win."

 

We parked the jeep and got out and were walking toward the school. There were a lot of kids hangin' around in front, as usual, waiting for first bell. Lori grabbed my arm and locked hers with mine. Dex walked on the other side of me as we headed toward the crowd. I just wanted to get past them to my locker and homeroom. It wasn't going to be that simple. As we approached I saw several people, many of whom I knew, glance over and whisper or stop talking completely. One or two were pointing at me. It was like Moses parting the Red Sea as people moved to avoid us. I wanted to find a rock and crawl under it. We kept walking toward the door and just as we got there I saw Doug Morris and a few of his football buddies off to the side.

 

"Look guys, an honest to God cocksucker. Heard you can swallow a damn big one too." They all started laughing.

 

"Ignore it, Jonah" Dex said loudly enough for them to hear.

 

"Yeah, they're just a bunch a jerks" Lori said, also loudly enough to be heard.

 

"What's the deal McGee? He suckin' you off too?"

 

"Back off, Doug. I mean it." Dex spoke very loudly and firmly, glaring at Doug.

 

Just about then one of the vice principals, Mr. Lee, walked up. "Trouble here guys?"

 

"No sir, no trouble" Dex said as we turned and walked toward the door and inside.

 

We got a lot of the same finger pointing and stares inside. When we finally got to my locker, someone had taken what looked like pink lipstick and drawn a crude penis and the words ‘faggot' and ‘cocksucker' all over the door. I think Lori was about to cry as we stood there looking at it. Mr. Lee must have had hall monitor duty that day or something. As he approached us he stopped long enough to say "Mr. Knight, I will expect you to have that cleaned up by last period today."

 

I started to say ‘yes sir' and be the obedient little queer student, but I was angry. I had just endured a week of solitary confinement and I just went over the edge. "Sir, do you honestly believe I would put that on my own locker? When you find the person who did it you can get them to clean it. ‘Till then I guess it'll just stay there."

 

"That's fine then, Mr. Knight. I guess you won't mind detention every afternoon until I solve this little infraction or until it gets cleaned up - whichever occurs first."

 

I sighed "Yes sir it'll be cleaned up by last period, sir."

 

"Good decision Mr. Knight. I guess I won't see you this afternoon then." And he walked off.

 

"Prick" Lori said after he was out of earshot.

 

"What, you don't think that's functional?" I asked.

 

"Not his" she chuckled. I just rolled my eyes as did Dex.

 

I walked into homeroom and took my seat. I was alone now. No Dex by my side or Lori on my arm. There were several snickers, and giggles as I walked through the rows of seats and took mine. Admittedly, literally getting caught with that part of someone else's anatomy in one's mouth and having everyone know about it, is in itself, somewhat more embarrassing than just coming out and announcing that one is gay. I guess I should expect some degree of snide and crude comments. After all, I had already had a week of solitary confinement to think of nothing else. I was as mentally prepared to deal with this as anyone could be I suppose. Attendance was recorded, announcements were read over the PA, and the bell sounded for first period and the usual mad rush and mass exodus was underway.

 

Walking through the crowded hallways between classes has always reminded me of how a cow must feel during a cattle drive -- just one of the herd being forced to go somewhere that you would really rather not be going. Oh well, I digress. This day, I was acutely more aware of the people around me and whether they were reacting to me or just succumbing to the mindless routine of ‘the herding process'. I did notice a lot of stares, the whispers, the giggles and in some a look of pure disgust. I was relieved though when there were none of the confrontations and open hostility that I had dreaded. I was summoned to the office during my first period class. I figured it had to do with my little confrontation with Mr. Lee or my locker or both.

 

When I got to the office, I was sent into one of the rooms used by the guidance counselors when they meet with parents and students. I took my seat and in just a few minutes, Doc McGee walked in. "Mornin' Jonah."

 

"Mornin' Doc."

 

"Jonah, I wanted to talk with you this morning as soon as possible. I already know about all the gossip about what happened with you and Skyler. I suppose you know that Lisa is plugged into gossip central and despite my efforts to the contrary, is somehow the queen of gossip herself."

 

"Yes sir."

 

"That aside, Jonah, I'm worried that you could be the victim of a lot of harassment and embarrassing comments that, I suppose, are inevitable under circumstances like this."

 

"Yes sir, I've had a week to think of nothing else. I don't have much choice but to just deal with it. I have to be here. I don't have a choice about that."

 

"I'm proud to hear you say that Jonah. The point of this talk is to tell you that you don't have to face it alone. If you need to talk, the office has been instructed to let you call me. Here is my cell number. I also expect you to report any threats or attempted violence. Am I clear on that?" He said as he handed me his card

 

"Yes sir."

 

"Just so you know, Dex has been instructed to keep and eye on you and report to me. Well, actually he volunteered, but you get the point." He said smiling at me.

 

"Thanks, but I think I can handle myself."

 

"That's exactly what worries me Jonah. I know you have certain, uh, skills, but no man is an island. Do you understand what that means?"

 

"Yes sir. It means that people don't always do so well when they isolate themselves from others."

 

"Exactly right, Jonah. It's from a work by the author John Donne. It's one of my favorites. Condensed somewhat, Mr. Donne said that ‘No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent a part of the main....' "I also saw with my own eyes how you were treated in church yesterday. I was so angry. I should have said something to the pastor and I'm ashamed of myself now for not saying something, and these are our neighbors, who call themselves Christians. It sickens me, and I am going to say something. Nonetheless, if you got that kind of treatment at church it's only going to be worse here. You call me, okay?"

 

"Yes sir, thanks."

 

Good ole Doc. Dex was sooo lucky to have him as a Dad. Maybe he's why Dex is always so happy. Doc always knows what to say to make you feel better.

 

The bell for the next period rang and the herds were on the move again. Moo. I saw a few fingers pointing and heard some snickers and giggles but next period was band. These were all my closest school friends, my crowd. I walked in and took my seat in the trumpet section as usual. Okay, I got a few stares, and snickers, but that was it. Jack, one of my best friends in the trumpet section, spoke to me like nothing was wrong. Either he hadn't heard or didn't care. Most of the rest of the guys in the section were the same. I was amazed. Finally, during a break for the director to go find a new piece of music he wanted to work on, Jack turned to me and smiled and said "So, hear ya got a boyfriend."

 

"So?"

 

"Nothing, it's cool I guess. Sorry about how everybody found out an' all. Gotta be a real bitch with your folks and all."

 

"You got no idea," I said.

 

"My dad woulda freaked and kicked my ass into the middle of next week."

 

About that time the rehearsal resumed, and nothing else was said. There were a few guys in band I always suspected were gay or that there had been this rumor or that. One of these was a trombone player named Randy. He was quiet and always distant when I tried to talk to him. We just didn't click. Today, though, every time I looked over, he was staring at me. No expression, just staring. After rehearsal, he asked me to wait up to say something.

 

"What's up Randy?"

 

"Man, I heard you had a real bummer spring break."

 

"It was a bummer, but there's a lot of rumors about what really happened. I just wish it would go away, but it won't."

 

"Yeah, lots of folks are talkin', um would you like to uh, you know, uh hang out some time or something?"

 

Great, I think he's hitting on me. "Yah, uh, that'd be great, but I'm kinda grounded right now. I don't know when I'll be like free to do anything."

 

"Bummer. Well, let me know. Just thought I'd ask."

 

"Thanks"

 

Of course Lori's in the band and joined me on the way out. "Any problems?"

 

"Not yet. I get a lot of stares and snickers, and I think Randy just hit on me, but that's about it. Doc called me in and had a talk with me."

 

"Did it help?"

 

"Yah, I think so. He's so cool about everything. Made me feel like there was someone else I could talk to."

 

"You're bein' so brave about this Jonah, I'd be so embarrassed."

 

"I didn't say I wasn't scared or embarrassed. I'm a nervous wreck. I'm just tryin' not to let everybody know it."

 

"Hang in there," she said as she gave me a hug. "I gotta run. See ya' at lunch."

 

"We went our separate ways, fighting the masses again on my way to the next class. I had been lucky so far. The only ones who had hassled me were Doug and his asshole buddies that morning and since they're all upper classmen, I had avoided them so far. The next two classes were uneventful, other than the same whispers and snickers. I had noticed that some people who would normally speak to me avoided or simply ignored me. It was about the same as the treatment I had gotten at church. I hadn't seen Zach yet, except for a minute during band when he had waved to me, but we didn't get a chance to talk. Lunch break would be a true challenge and it was coming up.

 

As I made my way to the cafeteria, I ran into Dex and I told him about my talk with his dad. It seemed to please him that it made me feel better. We got in line and I overheard someone saying "There, that one, he's the faggot got caught suckin' a dick." It was Joey Burns, one of Doug's buddies, talking to a couple of the guys I recognized from the basketball team. Other people heard it too and started snickering or laughing.

 

"Ignore it Jonah." Dex said.

 

We got our lunch and went over to our table. Zach was already there and looked up when we sat down. "Hey, Jonah, Dex." He said smiling at us.

 

"Jonah, I'm sooo sorry about what's happened. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy." He said.

 

"Thanks, Zach."

 

"You better be ready. Last version of the gossip I heard was that it was me you were caught with. I've been getting a lot more crap than usual today. I was gonna tell ya' in band, but you were talking to Randy and then Lori. I was running late for class."

 

"Shit, gossip. Why can't everybody just mind their own damn business?"

 

About that time, Lori came and sat. "You guys heard the latest?"

 

"Me and Zach?" I asked

 

"Guess ya' have. Damn, people are so stupid."

 

The rest of the people who usually sit at our table, didn't. We chatted about nothing, trying to distract ourselves for a while as we finished lunch. When we were done there were still a few minutes before classes. "Dex, can I borrow your cell?"

 

"Sure"

 

"I wanna see if I can call Sky. I haven't had a phone or ‘puter to try on since he left."

 

"Damn man, bet you're goin' nuts."

 

"Yah, I am."

 

I tried his number but got that "I'm sorry but the cellular customer you are trying to reach is unavailable." Dammit. I guess he would get the same if he called me, though. I left a voicemail with Dex's number. Dex agreed to relay any messages. I also gave him two email addresses for Sky and what to say. He said he would put them out as soon as he got home. After lunch, I headed for my locker. I figured I would get a hall pass during study hall and clean the lipstick artwork off. When I got to my locker, it was clean. I pulled on the door and a note fell out. I opened it and read it. "Just thought I would try and make your day a little better. Lori." She had study hall before lunch, damn that was sweet of her.

 

The afternoon classes were about the same as the morning. More whispers, snickers, fingers pointing. Some more people I considered friends were ignoring me or avoiding me, but no confrontations or open ridicule. Last bell. I made it. I survived. All I had to do was get to the parking lot, to Dex's jeep and it was over. A few more days and like most gossip, I would become old news. If I could just lay low, under the radar, I could survive this. Anyway, it's not like I was going to have much of a social life while in solitary confinement at home.

 

I met Dex out by our lockers, and we were headed out when Lori stopped us and said she was going to catch a ride with Sherry and Jan, two sisters whose family had moved into my old house. About that time, Zach came running up needing a ride. Dex, Zach, and I headed out the door and toward the parking lot.

 

As we walked out to the parking lot I could see Doug Morris' big red pickup parked a few spaces from the jeep, but we would have to pass it to get the jeep. Doug, Joey, and another guy I didn't really know were standing around his truck talking. I guess they saw us coming and I could see them looking over at us and some sporadic laughter. When we were close enough, he yelled "Hey faggot, I got somethin' here for ya'. "

 

"Ignore him, Jonah," Dex said.

 

"It's like ignoring a fog horn or somethin'."

 

"Hey, you hear me faggot?" As he started walking toward us.

 

"Back off, Doug" Dex said firmly.

 

"McGee I warned you already. What you doin' hangin' with these faggots anyway. They must be suckin' you or lettin' you have that piece of ass you couldn't get from Ellen. I even heard this one's the one Knight here was suckin' on."

 

"You heard wrong, asshole. Leave ‘em both alone."

 

"Doug, don't mess with Dex. He's just givin' me a ride. You got somethin' to say about me, say it to me."

 

"I don't waste my time talking to faggots."

 

"Good, because I don't waste my time talking to ignorant assholes."

 

"You little shit, I oughta kick yer ass." He said as he made the mistake of lunging at me and throwing a punch. I blocked his punch, away grabbing his extended arm twisting it behind him while I did a quick low spinning kick to the back of his legs, sweeping them out from under him. He fell backwards on the asphalt.

 

"Don't get back up." I said. "I don't want to fight you."

 

Like the average idiot, he got up and came at me again. I vaguely remember seeing one of his friends starting to join in and Dex stepping in, blocking, and laying him out. As Doug came at me again I blocked his awkward punch and moved aside so that his momentum carried him past me, allowing me to plant a right inward-raking fist firmly in his left kidney, followed by a solid back knuckle strike just below his rib cage. Finally, a right downward roundhouse kick to the back of his knees brought him down again. As he was laying there, I firmly planted my knee in his chest. He was already struggling to catch his breath. I grabbed his shirt collar with my left hand and drew back my right arm in a hammer fist about eighteen inches from his nose.

 

"I could kill you right here, right now, but you're not worth it. Do not fuck with me or my friends, ever again."

 

About that time I felt someone grabbing me by the back of my collar. When I stood up, Mr. Lee was gripping my shirt firmly.

 

"Mr. Knight, you, Mr. McGee, Mr. Morris, and Mr. Burns will join me in my office first thing in the morning." He said as Doug was struggling to get to his feet.

 

"Yes sir."

 

"You guys move along."

 

As we were leaving I heard Doug yell, "This ain't over faggot!"

 

I heard Mr. Lee saying something to Doug, but I couldn't make it out.

 

We got in the Jeep and headed out. Zach was the first to speak.

 

"Jonah, you were freakin awesome. You too, Dex."

 

"Zach, Jonah can lay me out any time he gets ready. He's absolutely lethal." Dex said, smiling back at Zach.

 

"You mean he was serious? He really could have killed Doug with his bare hands?"

 

Dex got a very serious look on his face and glanced over at me. I was still coming out of the adrenaline high and he knew it. I glanced back over at him with a dead serious look on my face and he turned to Zach. "Yeah, he really could have."

 

"Damn!"

 

"Dex, do you mind stopping at the Sonic for something to drink? I think I need to stop a minute." I said.

 

We pulled into an empty bay at the drive-in and ordered something to drink. I got a cherry limeade thing and they ordered slushies. While we were sitting there waiting on our order, Doug's truck turned in the drive which circled the U-shaped drive-in's parking lot. They pulled past us and parked on the other side of the drive-in facing us. Doug's truck was an older model Chevy four-wheel drive standard cab. The kind with the bench seat. It had a big brush rack bumper thing on the front of it. All three of the guys we had seen in the parking lot were in the truck, and they just sat there watching us.

 

"Let's get outta here." I said.

 

"Good idea." Dex replied.

 

We backed out and drove around past them and back onto the road, heading out out of town on the county road that leads toward Zach's house. That road has several sections that are hilly and pretty curvy. It wasn't long before I heard Zack say, "Don't look now, but our friends are back there."

 

"Yep, and they're gaining," Dex said as he hit the gas.

 

"Dex, just let them go around. This is crazy." I said.

 

I turned around, and the truck was maybe two feet from our bumper. Dex would slow down and they slowed down. He sped up, they sped up. "Damn, what are they tryin' to do?" I said.

 

Just then I felt a bump. They hit us. The damn fool bumped us. Dex floored it. In just a few seconds, they were right behind us again. "Dex, you can't outrun that thing!" I screamed. I looked back, Zach was absolutely white-faced, his fingers buried in the upholstery of my seat. Another bump, this one much harder, shook the Jeep. I heard tires screeching as I was jolted by the impact and thrown against the door, there was the sound of tires screeching, but then there was only silence, and the Jeep seemed to be flying. I glanced out the windshield, the view was just a blur. I heard Dex and Zach scream....

To all the wonderful folks who have posted messages in the forum thread, PM's, emails, etc., THANK YOU! I am honestly overwhelmed at the response to the story. Please continue to let me know what you think, all constructive comments are not only welcome, but urgently desired.

Of course another special thanks to Charles, my editor, and to CJames for his help and encouragement.

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended. © 2006 by CaptainRick, all rights reserved. <br /><br />
  • Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..