Jump to content
    captainrick
  • Author
  • 2,815 Words
  • 1,418 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Sky's The Limit - 27. Chapter 27

We dashed down the hallway, Lori pushing me, apparently the first time she'd ever pushed a wheelchair, judging by the nurse she nearly mowed down. We arrived at Dex's room, Lori slowing down just enough to get me through the door without sending me back to ICU. Dex was finally fully awake long enough to smile weakly, and I grinned back at him from ear to ear.

 

Ms. McGee came in and told us they had given him some more medication to help him come around. She'd called Doc and he was on his way back to the hospital. By this time, I was getting pretty tired and sore. I talked Lori into pushing me back to my room so Sarah and Dad could visit with the McGee's when Doc got there.

 

"Lori, tell me what's goin' on back home." I said as we were going down the hall toward the elevators.

 

"Everybody's really busted up about Zach. I mean like we were the only friends the guy had, and everybody's trying to act like he was the most popular kid in school or something. It kinda makes my stomach turn sometimes when I hear some people say how much they liked him."

 

"Hypocrites," I said flatly.

 

"You're a freakin' legend."

"Huh?"

 

"The fight in the parking lot. Last version I heard, you single-handed took out the entire startin' line of the football team with that Kung Fu stuff you do."

 

"You're joking."

 

"Serious as a heart attack, I swear. You're a freakin' hero."

 

"Go figure."

 

"What happened to Doug?"

 

"You haven't heard?"

 

"No, I don't get much news in here and besides, I've had a few problems of my own. I just woke up a couple a' days ago."

 

"Yeah, good point. Well, Doug was arrested the next day. Cops came to school and everything. Joey and Dennis, the other guys that were with him, spilled their guts. They got expelled, but they probably won't do any jail time or reform school or anything. They're gettin' some kinda probation if they cooperate in prosecuting Doug... My dad will be their probation officer. He ain't gonna be cuttin' no slack. I guess they'll finish at the alternative school or somethin'. Either way, they won't be back. Doug's in deep shit. He's looking at some kinda murder or manslaughter charge and assault charges on you and Dex. They're gonna try to send him to an adult prison. Maybe for life."

 

"Damn, this is so fucked up." I said as we rolled back into my room.

"Yeah. Zach's funeral is tomorrow. It took a while because they had to do an autopsy or something. His mom's all broken up. There'll be a memorial service next week at school. The counselors and preachers have been counseling anybody that wanted it. I talked to one for a long time. I think it helped. There was even a lecture on hate crimes at an assembly that everybody had to attend. Would you believe someone even suggested starting a chapter of the Gay Straight Alliance?"

 

"You're joking."

 

"Nope. It prob'ly won't happen though. Mr. Lee was dead set against it, but there are people aware of what's been goin' on. So, when ya' comin home?"

 

"Lori, I... I don't know how to tell ya' other than just tell ya'. I'm not comin' home."

 

"What? What the hell are you talkin' about?"

 

"I'm moving to Memphis. I'll be living with my Uncle."

 

"Why Jonah? The stuff at school isn't that bad. In fact, you're a hero. You've got friends there."

 

"It's not school, not completely. I just can't stay at the house anymore."

 

"It's your dad! That sonovabitch. I'll kill him."

 

"It's partly him, but not completely. I think he still cares about me, but it's not just him. Jessie's pregnant and afraid I'm going to molest her kids or somethin'. She's a real homophobe and givin' Dad holy shit, apparently. Sarah's not even talkin' to her."

 

"So your Dad's goin' to choose that bitch and her kids over you."

 

"That's the condensed version, but you've got the basics. Did you hear me say she's pregnant?"

 

"Yeah, but that just really sucks."

 

About that time, Dad and Sarah walked back into the room. If looks could kill, Dad would have been a dead man. The look Lori gave him was beyond evil. I swear I could see the flames shooting out of her eyes.

 

"Jonah, I gotta go find my mom. I'll be back, babe. I love ya." She said as she bent down and kissed my forehead.

 

Dad helped me use the bathroom and then he and Sarah helped me back into the bed. After I was settled, Dad said, "Jonah, I want you to always know that you're my son, and I love you. I don't have to approve of your lifestyle - chosen, genetic, or however it happened - I don't have to approve of it to love you. In time I might accept it. But I don't know that I'll ever condone it. I'm tryin' here Jonah. I've talked to Fred some more and he's really helping me cope. There's a group for parents of gay kids here in Birmingham. It's called PFLAG or something like that. I'm going to try to go to a few meetings. It doesn't change the immediate future. I still think the best and safest thing for you now is Memphis. Honestly, I couldn't stand to see you get hurt again. God knows you've had enough hurt. You're still my son and you'll always be my son."

 

There were tears in his eyes. Real tears. What did Doc say to him? I'll have to find out one day.

 

"Dad, I know. That's why I tried so hard to hide all this from you, from almost everyone. I'm sorry I hurt you. I'm sorry I've always been a disappointment to you. I never was a great athlete or anything."

 

"Oh my God! Jonah! Is that what you think? All these years? Son, to be so bright, you're sooo wrong. It's partially my fault I guess. I've never told you how proud I am of you. That's just me, I guess. It's just not my way. You've always excelled at anything you do - the piano and Karate' are only two examples. Jonah, you're not a disappointment." At that moment he reached out and took my hand. He leaned forward and put his other arm around me and pulled me into a gentle hug. When he released me, I looked over at Sarah and she was crying."

 

* * *

 

Dex was asking to see me again after he came to. I got to go back up that evening and talk to him. Doc had told him about Zach, and he didn't take it too well. He was also dealing with the very real possibility of paralysis. The doctors were giving him a fifty-fifty chance of being able to walk again. It was a real bummer of a day for him. He wanted me to stay with him, but the nurses limit the visits ‘til he's in a regular room. I was hoping they would let us share a room when he was able to move and I asked the doctor about it.

 

I finally got some good news. With luck and a lot of rest, I could leave the hospital by the first part of next week. On Sunday, Chip was back, and was visiting with me and Sarah when Doc came down to see me. "Hi Jonah," he said as he walked in.

 

"Hi Doc. How's Dex?"

 

"He's coping much better. I think between the two of you, the stock of the pharmaceutical companies shot up ten points. Thank God for anti-depressants. He's moving to a regular room this afternoon. I was hoping they could put you two together. Would ya' believe they're out of semi-private rooms? He will be just down the hall though. I suspect in a few days y'all will be having wheelchair races."

 

"Don't know ‘bout that Doc. They may be kickin' me outta here in a day or two."

"That's great Jonah! How do you feel about it?"

 

"Dunno. Happy, I guess, but a little apprehensive. Kinda hard to tell what I feel. I never know if it's me or the drugs."

 

"It's not going to be easy Jonah, but you have so much potential. You should flourish in the new environment. No, I know you will. You're a lot like your sister that way."

 

"I just kinda wish I could go back to school and tell some people good-bye."

 

"Jonah, given what happened on your last day there, is that a good idea?" Sarah interjected.

 

"Lori told me that a lot has changed. They're even having a memorial or something for Zach next week." I replied.

 

"That's right, we are Jonah. It might help some healing if you could be there - for you too. It would be up to your doctors though. You're still pretty weak."

 

"Jonah," Chip broke in. "If your doctors okay this, I'll arrange for transportation and medical supervision, all the way through to Memphis. You just want to attend, right?"

 

"No, I think I want to say something, if they'll let me. I think I need to do this. Maybe even play a song for Zach."

 

"How can you play in a wheelchair?" Sara interjected again.

 

"I only need one foot for the pedals, but the school has a good electronic keyboard that I could fit under."

 

Chip, Dad, and Sarah all just looked at me and then at each other, and Sarah just smiled and said "Jonah, if you feel up to it, I don't see why not as long as you don't overdo it. I'll go with you and be there for you."

 

"So will I," Chip added.

 

"Guess I'll make it unanimous," Dad said.

 

* * *

 

Dex did get moved. I spent most of that evening in his room - at least as much as I could comfortably tolerate. Dex was in a really good mood, considering. If someone told me that I may spend the rest of my life in one of these damned chairs, well, I would rather they just end it. I mean, they shoot horses don't they? Well, we are both on mood enhancers - better living through modern chemistry and all that. I told Dex what I wanted to do about the memorial service. He thought it was a good idea too.

 

The next day, Chip was back. We talked with the doctor, and I could go to the service under certain conditions that I thought were impossible, but Chip told me not to worry about it, he would take care of it. The service was on Wednesday, during last period. It was intended to bring closure to a tragic chapter in our school's history and all that. I think it was just a way for people to make themselves feel better about a poor kid that most didn't know or care about. Well, I intended to strike a nerve or two. It had to be tasteful, and respectful to Zach and his Mom, but strike a nerve nonetheless.

 

There was one final chore to do. I hadn't told Dex that I wasn't going back home. I had asked Doc and Lori to let me do it. I decided to wait until the night before I was supposed to be discharged. That night I wheeled myself down to Dex's room. He was there, lying on his back. He wasn't allowed to sit up yet. I rolled into the room, pulled alongside his bed as close as I could get, and reached over and put my hand on his shoulder.

 

"Dex? Wake up, dude."

 

"Hey man, whassup?"

 

"Just came to visit, that's all. How ya' holdin' up?"

 

"K, I guess. I'm just tired of bein' in this damn bed. My head hurts like hell." He said as he grabbed his own pain pump and started clicking the magic button. "The docs think I still have a chance of walking. I'm getting some feeling in my legs."

 

"Dex, that's awesome man."

 

"Walking's really not the only thing I'm worried about dude."

 

"Whadaya mean?"

 

"Don't say anything, okay? But it's the sex thing. I never really did it with a girl. I mean Ellen would jack me and gave me a blow job, but now I may not ever . . ."

 

"Oh man, I'm sorry. Did your doctor or anybody say anything?"

 

"Oh yeah, it was embarrassing as hell in front of the parental units too. Them cryin' and all. There's still a chance. They say damaged nerves can take a while to heal. It's just wait and see. The MRI thing showed that my spinal cord wasn't severed but got some kinda damage. There's still a lot of swelling too. I don't remember the terms and all. So what's up with you? They still goin' to spring ya outta here?"

 

"Yeah, I'm still planning on going to the thing for Zach. Your Dad said they may do a webcast so you can see it."

 

"Yeah, he's bringing his laptop and the hospital here has something called WIFI so I can get on the web anywhere in the hospital. I can't use my hands to well, but the rehab department is rigging up some sorta special interface and mouse for me to use. They're gonna hook something up at school so I can see my classes too. I'm gonna be here a while, bud. They're moving me to the rehab section and talking months of therapy."

 

"Bummer."

 

"Yeah, coulda been worse, I suppose. We all coulda been like poor Zach."

 

"Yeah, but I sometimes wonder if I woulda been better off"

 

"Jonah, don't you goddamn ever say that! You sonovabitch! How could you even THINK that? That really pisses me off!"

 

"I'm sorry man, there's just so much stuff. So much goin' on in my head."

 

"Man, talk to Dad some more. Please talk to someone. I love ya, Jonah, you know I've always felt like we're brothers."

 

"K, Dex, I know, it was a stupid thing to say, my doctors all say I need to talk to someone and I will."

 

Dex smiled at me then and said "So, I guess you get your old room back. They can't lock ya' away up in your old cell if ya' can't climb stairs."

 

"No, Dex, not exactly. I won't be goin' back to either room."

 

"Whadaya mean?"

 

"Dex, man, I gotta leave. I'm goin' to Memphis with my Uncle Chip."

 

"They're kickin' ya outta your own house? I don't freakin believe it."

 

"It's the only way, Dex. Believe me. Don't blame my Dad either. It's complicated. We've had a talk. I know he still loves me. It's just . . . complicated."

 

"I'm not stupid, Jonah. It's that redneck bitch he's married to isn't it?"

 

"Yeah, mostly. She's pregnant."

 

"It's still not right, Jonah. It's damn wrong. It's just wrong on so many levels. Dammit I'm pissed."

 

"Please, Dex. This is hard enough. There is an upside to this."

 

"Yeah? Oh puleeeze share." He said in a very sarcastic tone.

 

"Promise not to tell?"

 

"Yeah, yeah. What?"

 

"Chip promised to help me find Sky. Oh, and I'm rich."

 

"What? What the hell you talkin', rich."

 

"Well actually I'm more excited about the Sky part, but yeah, rich. My mom's dad, Chip's dad, left a bunch of money for me and Sarah in a trust fund or something. That's what he does for a living. He manages that fund."

 

"Wait a minute, your uncle makes his living managing your money."

 

"Well, that's about the size of it, but now he has investments and stuff of his own. I don't know all the details, but yeah."

 

"What we talkin' here? Millions?"

 

"That's what they tell me."

 

"Whoooaaa Duuude. If I turn gay, will ya marry me?"

 

We both cracked up. It was the first good laugh I'd had since. . . I couldn't remember the last time I'd laughed. Really laughed. It hurt, my ribs were still killing me, but it felt so good to be laughing with Dex that I just didn't give a damn.

Thanks again CJ! And thanks to all my wonderful readers for just reading and for your comments! Please let me know what you think by sending me an email, pm, or best of all comment in the discussion thread here at GA!

Hugs, Rick


All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended. © 2006 by CaptainRick, all rights reserved. <br /><br />
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..