Jump to content
    Caz Pedroso
  • Author
  • 824 Words
  • 2,840 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2020 - Spring - The Storm Entry

Mate's come first - 1. 3 Months Ago

3 Months Earlier

"Hey, freak!"

Owen closed his eyes and ignored the other mage. He needed to finish this assignment, and then he only had one exam and he would be free. Another month and he would be eighteen, able to leave the coven and never return to be tormented daily ever again.

His life had been the same from when he started school at five years old. His magic was different from all the other kids, and he couldn't do the spells the teachers were teaching. The kids hated him and made is life hell. It took five years until one teacher, Miss Dooli, tried teaching him an alternative way of doing the spell she was trying to teach Owen, and Owen finally managed to complete his first basic spell.

That teacher was the best thing to happen to Owen. He had soon started to catch up with the other mages his age. Until one day he arrived in class to find out Miss Dooli had been reassigned. Miss Dooli had promised she would tell the new teacher, and his training would continue as it had been. But Mr. Ceeman insisted that Owen do spells the 'proper' way. It wasn't long before Owen was way behind the other kids once again.

Then the bullying started up again. It started with name-calling until one day he snapped and answered one of the name-calling bullies back. That was the first beating, and more had quickly followed.

He'd tried to go for help, but it had been useless. The bullies had highborn parents, and no one would take the word of the weird only child of parents who had to work for their money—or so he had been told when someone told on him to the bullies. His parents both worked all the hours they could to build their family wealth. Nothing was more important to them than being the wealthiest they could be.

A slap to his shoulder brought his head up in time to meet another slap, this time right across his face.

"Don't ignore me when I'm talking to you, freak. I think you need to be taught how to treat your betters."

Blinking the tears from his eyes, Owen glared up at his main tormentor, Ian Woodrow. Ian was older than him and had already graduated. He was at the school a few days a week to mentor the younger kids. In reality, all he did was torment them and steal their money before beating the crap out of them. Owen didn't bother answering Ian. It never made any difference what he said; he was going to get a beating either way.

"Hey, Trevor." Ian grabbed Owen's hair when Owen tried to use his moment of distraction to get away. "Want to help me teach this powerless trash how to act in the presence of those older and more powerful than him?"

Owen went limp and waited as Trevor yelled his acceptance from across the library—because, of course, none of them would get into trouble for making too much noise in the library silent zone.

"Meet us out the back," Ian instructed and proceeded to drag Owen from his chair and out the nearest fire exit.

'Out the back' was code for a small concrete yard behind the library building that was a camera black spot. Owen was thrown to the ground, and the beating began.

Owen centred his mind and started to list everything he still needed to get ready for leaving. One month and he would be away from the coven. He needed to make sure his CV was up to date so he could find a job when his savings started running out.

He let his mind float and pushed the pain of what was happening to his body as far away as he could.

When he finally came back to himself, he was alone. Ian and Trevor probably got bored when he didn't respond to their 'lesson'. Sending magic through his body, he healed his broken arm and wrist. He was surprised; the damage was usually worse with several broken ribs and fingers. His magic wouldn't heal bruises, but he could dull the pain enough to get home. He felt around his face and winced when he prodded his left eye and chin. Another push of magic and he cast a glamour. He needed to get home and up to his room so he could put himself into a healing sleep. His parents most likely wouldn't notice anything amiss, but the servants would and he couldn't afford to bring the wrong sort of attention to himself when he was so close to escaping.

Moving slowly, he righted his clothes and then made sure to walk smoothly to get out of school and head home.

Back home in his suite of rooms he collapsed on the bed and groaned as magic pulled him into sleep.

Copyright © 2020 Caz Pedroso; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 10
  • Wow 5
  • Sad 10
  • Angry 5
Thank you everyone who:
Reads :read: 
Reacts :heart: 
Comments :great:
And Helps :2thumbs: on this and all my stories. 
:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: 
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2020 - Spring - The Storm Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Interesting start to the story. I feel sorry for Owen because even though some of the bullies had already graduated they still come back to mentor the younger kids. Only they love to beat Owen up all the time and they get away with it because they have highborn parents while his parents have to work for everything they have. I think it’s a shame that Mrs Dooli was transferred just when Owen starts making progress.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 6/18/2020 at 12:18 PM, Butcher56 said:

Interesting start to the story. I feel sorry for Owen because even though some of the bullies had already graduated they still come back to mentor the younger kids. Only they love to beat Owen up all the time and they get away with it because they have highborn parents while his parents have to work for everything they have. I think it’s a shame that Mrs Dooli was transferred just when Owen starts making progress.

Unfortunately there re always peopple who think they are better than others and that that gives them the right to tread on other people. 

On 6/18/2020 at 12:44 PM, chris191070 said:

Great start to the story, I feel sorry for Owen.

Thank you Chris. I'm glad you like the opening.

On 6/24/2020 at 2:28 PM, Headstall said:

Poor Owen. Interesting start, Caz... it packs a punch... cheers... Gary.... :hug: 

Thanks, Gary, unfortunately this wasn't that hard to write i just needed to use my friends and mine experiences. but hopefully the rest of the story will make up for the not so nice beginning for Owen. 

On 7/3/2020 at 5:00 AM, centexhairysub said:

Why is there always that one total ass....  Same as in real life most of the time.

yep, exactly like real life. Theres always at least one ring leader.

 

Thank you all for reading and commenting. i am sorry it took so long to reply.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 2/12/2021 at 6:00 AM, dughlas said:

Hmmm, I missed this before now. Interesting start. Lucky me I get to binge read.

Me too.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..