Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 766 Words
  • 2,433 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Amafi Coast - 10. Chapter 10

As the boys finished school and became productive members of society, I was left alone again. Not that I minded, the boys kept in contact. I went to their weddings, all except Geno. He wasn’t interested in women or men. He was happy teaching at the University. If I said something about him not having a girlfriend, his response was “et tu”.

When Geno wasn’t teaching, we would travel together, there were other places in Europe besides Italy, and we enjoyed our breaks. One thing we never lost sight of was the family over the holidays. All the boys and their families would get together in the States, Mom and Dad would host us. Dad retired with Sis taking over the business. This meant they would vacation in Italy every year and stay as long as they wanted.

The boys were doing well, and their families were also growing. Now I was hearing small voices calling me Nonno. Except for missing them, I was happy for them, street boys who have amounted to professionals making a positive contribution to our society.

One Saturday, when Geno was home, we went to the restaurant on the dock. I saw Captain Bruno sitting on a post looking at the sea. “Geno, go and ask the Captain to join us.”

When the Captain saw me, he waved and came over. Over dinner, he said he missed his boat. “Where is it?”

“I had to scrap it. The wooden hull had to be replaced, and it cost too much money.”

I looked at Geno and smiled; he knew I had something up my sleeve.

“Captain, have you see these new boats with fiberglass hulls. They are supposed to last a long time.”

“No, I haven’t. Most of the boats here are wooden and very old. If you do good business, you can keep them repaired. My business wasn’t that good. I made enough to live and save a little but not enough to repair my boat.”

We chatted some more about boats and fishing. The Captain missed it, and I understood how he was feeling.

I made plans to go to the shipyards in Holland. Geno and I took the train. I booked us in a hotel in Rotterdam. “Dad, what are we doing here?”

“I think I might be able to solve a problem for a friend and have some fun as well.” I had checked online, and there was a small boat building firm that advertised boats for sale. I wanted to check them out, I’m living on the coast of a beautiful sea and can’t take advantage of it.

“Geno, I want to buy a boat, but not a wooden boat.” I had contacted several boat building firms and set up an appointment over the next four days. I could tell Geno was as excited as I was.

“Dad, you’re going to let the Captain run our boat?”

“Yes, he knows the sea better than you or I, so why not.”

On the third day, we found the boat. It was perfect for us. The previous owner traded it in for a bigger boat. Geno and I checked it over and decided it would be perfect for us. There were two cabins below deck, and the bridge contained a small kitchen, gas range, and fridge plus a table that sat 4. The back of the boat was opened, so someone could fish from there.

“Dad, how are you going to get this home?”

“Easy, we’ll go and get the Captain. You and I will be the crew.”

I arranged for the boatyard to check the boat over and to set it in the water. I explained I had to go home and get the Captain to help me sail the boat home. The response, “No problem, we’ll have her in the water and fully fueled by the time you come back.”

We checked out of the hotel and headed home. The next morning, we had breakfast on the docks, looking for our Captain. “I don’t see the Captain. Do you know where he lives?”

“No, Dad.” I chuckle every time Geno calls me dad instead of papa. Ever since we started to make routine trips to the States, he began calling me dad.

We finished our breakfast. “Let’s walk along the dock, we might see him, or we could ask one of the other captains if they know where he lives.”

We walked along the dock but didn’t see him. “I guess we might be too early for him. We’ll go home and come back later.”

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 28
  • Love 12
  • Wow 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

40 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

It's cool Thomas is a grandfather now.I sure hope Thomas and Geno not finding the Captain doesn't mean what I think it might mean.It is part of life but I hope l'm wrong. 

Yes, that is inevitable 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, pvtguy said:

And another small starting point, but with an ending in sight.  I really hate to leave this story as it has been so heartwarming.

Thanks for your commenting 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
34 minutes ago, Gomez Stanley C said:

I hope the boat adds new life to the captain.  He will be so excited.

He will be, an exciting adventure on the high seas, maybe

  • Like 4
Link to comment
3 hours ago, CLJobe said:

With out giving up the next chapter, have faith. I'm partial to old men, being one myself.

To paraphrase many comedians and quote a current 'CEO' who has said, "You're only as old as you feel... Take two 20-ish blondes at night, feel better in morning"  :-p 

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Anton_Cloche said:

To paraphrase many comedians and quote a current 'CEO' who has said, "You're only as old as you feel... Take two 20-ish blondes at night, feel better in morning"  :-p 

Red heads are hotter

  • Haha 5
Link to comment

So glad.

The last chapter read like it could be the end.

Awww. The Captain will be so pleased. And Thomas is now a Nonno. His folks are both doing well then.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Buz said:

So glad.

The last chapter read like it could be the end.

Awww. The Captain will be so pleased. And Thomas is now a Nonno. His folks are both doing well then.

 

It is an adventure to go from Papa to Dad to Nonno, Thomas made the trip in good health and spirits. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..